LegacyGT.com

Modding the LS2

Does anyone here know much about the GM LS2? How easy....cheaply...can it be modded? As of yesterday I am in the market for a very low mileage 04 CTS-V...a 05 is not out of the question but it would have approx 12-16k on the odo.

One item that will have to be addressed immediately is the severe wheelhop @ launch. I am looking into how that can be addressed today!

Any input on the LS2 mods are appreciated...as with everyting there would be a budget on mods...no more than 3k;)

My goal....@ least 450CHP...425Ftlb:)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

If there isnt already a market there will be a huge market. You will definantely be able to hit your goal with very little trouble.

Unfortunately most of the market will be for the 05 vette or GTO and may or may not fit the engine compartment of the CTS-V

We'll the Yamaha R1 was ruled out as of yesterday due to the impending auto purchase:( The medical field is treating me & the wifey pretty good;) Just remember ..all domestices lose value(very quickly) The 04 which orig. sold for 51k can be had for about 34k (3800 miles)

If subframe connectors were added, I would really hate to drive one without them! The 04 I drove yesterday felt like the rear end was trying to become a frog. Any launch over 3000 & it is horrible:(

The 05 gets the test drive today! A little more $...11k miles...custom exhaust...engine management (not sure what kind). Finance mngrs car

Does anyone here know much about the GM LS2? How easy....cheaply...can it be modded? As of yesterday I am in the market for a very low mileage 04 CTS-V...a 05 is not out of the question but it would have approx 12-16k on the odo.

One item that will have to be addressed immediately is the severe wheelhop @ launch. I am looking into how that can be addressed today!

Any input on the LS2 mods are appreciated...as with everyting there would be a budget on mods...no more than 3k;)

My goal....@ least 450CHP...425Ftlb:)

ummm... If I'm not mistaken, an 04 CTS-V should have the LS6 engine, not the LS2 - BIG difference. ;)

Thats what I was thinking....but the dealer kept telling me it was a LS2:(

After driving the 05 this afternoon I can tell you the launches were much..much...smoother it actually felt like a diff. vehicle:)

I am currently negotiating diff. wheels & tires through the dealer.... price is very close;) I know how many of you feel about buying a used car but I am willing to take the chance on this one!

Thats what I was thinking....but the dealer kept telling me it was a LS2:(

After driving the 05 this afternoon I can tell you the launches were much..much...smoother it actually felt like a diff. vehicle:)

I am currently negotiating diff. wheels & tires through the dealer.... price is very close;) I know how many of you feel about buying a used car but I am willing to take the chance on this one!

Nah. As far as I know, there were no LS2's manufactured in 04. The 04 vette (last year for the C5) and 04 GTO both used the Gen-III, 5.7 litre LS1 rated at 350chp. The 04 Z06 vette and the 04 CTS-V used the LS6, which shares the same block with the LS1 - reinforced in 2001 when the LS6 debuted - but uses different heads and cam. The LS6 was rated @ 405chp in the Z06 and 400chp in the caddie (marketing :rolleyes: ). For 05, the vette and the GTO switched to the new Gen-IV, 6.0 litre LS2 rated at the same 400 as the Gen-III LS6. Now, I'm not 100% certain, but I think the 05 CTS-V still uses the LS6, while the next Z06 will have the all new, 500hp :eek: , LS7 which is of course based on the LS2.

If you're not certain, there should be a rectangular lable somewhere in the engine compartment. In the corner of that lable, the engine displacement is printed.

5.7L (346 CID) = LS6

6.0L (364 CID) = LS2

Now, down to business. If it's the LS6, which I think it is, it's already "tuned" pretty aggressively from the factory. 400chp from an NA 346 CID engine is impressive. However, I know that past Z06's responded very well to a good set of LT's. The problem is, they're big $$ and I'm not sure if anyone makes them for the CTS-V. But I would say that the LT's, plus maybe a CAI would get you most of the way to your 450chp goal - you're almost there when you start.

By the way, I watched a bone-stock CTS-V turn a 13.3 quarter at the track. The trap speed was huge (around 110 mph IIRC) and the car could definitely run faster but they're a SOB to launch - as you've already observed.

All you ever wanted to know about GM's latest smallblock:

http://popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/chevrolet/smallblock/0405em_ls2/

Archived