LegacyGT.com

Is the 4th Gen too old now to be reliable?

I have an 05 with 73K on it. Owned it for the past 5 years. Biggest job has been valve clearance adjustment needed on driver side. Other than that, it's been OK..

I bought an 06 10 months ago. It had 121k and is a stage 2+ :eek:. Funny thing is the 06 hardly burns any oil compared to the 05 (barely a 1/4 quart per 3750 miles). I am at 131k now. Running great, but been getting a misfire in #2 now :). Though it may be related to my timing belt that slipped 3 teeth about 4 months ago.. Comp/Leakdown test planned soon..

This is exactly what I wanted to find out. Do you think for instance your 06 would be able to go another 30k as is?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to say. I bought mine with 70k. Did all the maintenance on time / kept up with changing fluids etc.

At 120k now and have a suspected cracked ringland.

Hammerdown has over 200k miles on his and his original turbo just wore out but everything else seems to be working for him.

Everyday it seems at least one new thread pops up with someone needing substantial repairs on their car.

These aren't cars to get unless you have at least $5k sitting around in-case something goes wrong.

I think these cars are just getting too old to be 100% reliable daily drivers.

If you asked me a month ago if my car would have gone another 30k I would have said yes.

This is exactly what I wanted to find out. Do you think for instance your 06 would be able to go another 30k as is?

I believe so. I feel it runs better than my 05. So far, I have revised the tune (via open source) to make sure it runs top notch. I try my best to follow some basic guidelines such as watching my oil level, never get the turbo into boost until the engine is fully warmed up, keep an eye on my air/fuel trims and knock event every time I drive the car (via an android app), etc...

I won't lie though. These cars are definitely finicky and the owner should definitely not treat these cars as 'appliances'. It's really no camry or corolla.

So if you're set on buying a 100k+ LGT, be willing to spend the 100 bucks or so to perform a compression/leakdown test prior to buying it. I think it is a must.

I admit I did not do that when I bought the 06. But that's because they let me hook up my laptop to the car to pull LVs and check for knock events, run romraider after the test drive. I saw it was nice and clean. So I bit the bullet.

My '05 is still on the original turbo and stock engine @ ~150k miles. Fingers crossed...

Things I've had to replace since I bought it @ ~54k miles (not counting typical wear items):

• Clutch/flywheel
  • Cylinder 3 fuel injector
  • Front passenger side brake caliper pin
  • Driver's side rear wheel bearing/hub (common on these cars...I think Subaru even upped the warranty to 100k on them)
  • Front control arm rear bushings (OEM ones tear easily)

I should note that I've replaced a lot of suspension components prior to failure for performance reasons (sway bars, RCA, ALK, struts/shocks/springs).

I probably add ~1-1.5 quarts of oil per 3-4k interval oil change (I use Rotella T6).

You're an idiot if you think you're gonna find a ten year old car with under 40k on the clock. Shit, if you even think that's viable, I declare you to be mentally unfit to operate a motor vehicle.

Bought my '06 OBXT with 42k miles last month...ok so it's only 9 years old, but there are a few low mileage LGTs out there too. I expect to put less than 10k per year on it since I have other vehicles to drive. Some people will argue that age becomes a significant wear factor for rubber and plastic parts after a certain number of years - will see what happens in my case.

Maintenance history makes or breaks a used car.

My 02 WRX has 181k on the clock. Original motor, original turbo, still has strong compression. Lived a relatively easy life at 'stage 1', a boatload of suspension mods and with occasional rallyx events. Maintenance by the book, and then some. Around 170k, I had some issues with brittle rubber: some vacuum lines were compromised, resulting in a boost leak. Otherwise, it never let me down or got me stuck.

The 07 LGT has about 87k on the clock, mostly stock. No problems yet, aside from a passenger seat sensor going crazy and intercooler end tanks separating. Maintenance by the book, and then some. Some spirited driving, but mostly for longer trips. Reasonably reliable thus far, in my experience.

If reliability is your number one priority, you're probably looking at the wrong year of the wrong car.

My "replace shortblock" light hasn't come on for a while. Probably just jinxed myself!
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

I am one of the lucky ones. I bought my car with 118k miles, and it's been rock solid. I have had to catch up some of the maintenance, and have just started modding. But as far as reliability, the car's been great.

Just get any car checked out. Don't roll the dice like I did.

I plan to keep my GT as the weekend/tinkering car since its quite a blast to drive. Having that secondary car/bike helps with that. Yeah it may burn some oil and yes it has some shenanigans, but its well worth it.

Only way I'd buy another one of these cars used is if I already had a short block waiting in the garage.

I was hard on mine. Probably will some more once it's back on the road.

Did treat it like an appliance for quite a while (good analogy).

Plus there are some weird things that can go south like most of us found...

But since there is allot of sharing here and other forums it's a manageable platform.

Shutter to think of the electronics on the new WRX and what can puke in 10 years.

Bought my '06 OBXT with 42k miles last month...ok so it's only 9 years old, but there are a few low mileage LGTs out there too. I expect to put less than 10k per year on it since I have other vehicles to drive. Some people will argue that age becomes a significant wear factor for rubber and plastic parts after a certain number of years - will see what happens in my case.

Agreed. I bought my 2005 LGT in December with 58K on her. Was actually owned by a grandma type and her husband had a whole folder of maintenance receipts. I looked for a low mileage 5spd wagon for about 8 months but when I stumbled on this 5EAT sedan I just couldn't pass it up. They are out there....

Agreed. I bought my 2005 LGT in December with 58K on her. Was actually owned by a grandma type and her husband had a whole folder of maintenance receipts. I looked for a low mileage 5spd wagon for about 8 months but when I stumbled on this 5EAT sedan I just couldn't pass it up. They are out there....

I purchased 3 weeks ago from a dealer and the PO had a folder packed with receipts and tried to hand them off to the dealer. Said dealer turned the folder down cause they did not want to deal with blacking out all the personal data on the receipts. During the buyers inspection at a completely different dealer actually where the car had regular service, the service rep told me he knew the (older) couple that owned my wagon. I finally got a response from the dealer where I bought my wagon and was told those folks no longer have the file. I can tell by the outside and inside of this wagon that they were meticulous with how they cared for this car. At 170k I hope to see over 200k with only the mods to keep it running stock as a DD.

05, with 117k, ive owned it for 5 years since 69k did ive replaced many parts for performance factor vs. fatigue or need to replace. stage 3 + with 20psi for the last 3 years. just replaced my passanger front wheel bearing and drive shaft this past summer. knock on wood that the worst of it.

Just found the time to reply to this.

As I was driving to VT again in my wagon, I was thinking what's going to go wrong next. I just noticed this morning brushing the snow off, that the license plate light is burnt out or not working. Almost 202,000 miles on the old bulb.

The rear hatch light doesn't work either, that could be some rust up in that socket area, I've had some water leaks back there. When it warms up I'll look at replacing the bulbs and fixing the leaks.

But for now it ski season, time to go scrape the wax off tomorrows skis.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry, I'm representing a non-Legacy...I've got an Outback XT. Not 100% trouble-free, but not bad. I decided to double down, get the timing belt & clutch done proactively @ 95K and keep the car as long as possible. I really don't know what I would prefer: quick, agile, affordable stick-shift wagon??? not many of those out there. Maybe if I got a testiclectomy, a RAV4 (V6 auto), or if I won the lottery, an Audi.

My money drain, other than this clutch/timing belt event has been trying to get the suspension up to snuff. Spent some money, and a whole lot of time & effort getting to my Bilstein suspension, which still sucks compared to some German stuff out there. LegacyGT experiences may vary.

But the biggest frustration is that no one near me (FW, TX), especially not the dealers, know jack shite about these things. ESPECIALLY not the local dealer. As BAC5.2 once famously said: I wouldn't trust them to fix a sandwich!

PS, newer Outbacks are more ergonomic I think, but don't excite. 2013 H6 maybe. Foresters??? Maybe, 09-10 stick Forester XT maybe. Newer? maybe I'm just a retrogrouch about CVT's???? :eek:

CRV? double testicalectomy. Mazda CX5 2.5? should check out. But all these probably give up sportiness.

You're an idiot if you think you're gonna find a ten year old car with under 40k on the clock. Shit, if you even think that's viable, I declare you to be mentally unfit to operate a motor vehicle.

I totally got my 05 LGT with like 35K on it........Shit back in 07. Now it sits at 87,291 MI for quite a bit of time.

Word of advice, do not vote "no" in the has your VF40 blown thread. Actually, don't even bother reading the motherfucking thread at all.

I rolled the dice and got burned on mine, sort of. But there are members on this forum with high mileage LGTs that prove it can be done. So far I've learned in my month of ownership that these cars can be great daily drivers and go onward to 200k miles and more. You just have to have all of the common issues cataloged in your head, know what needs replaced when, and run all the proper fluids. Preventative maintenance is key.

My LGT is now my daily driver. She sits at 110k miles right now and will get about 20k or more a year, meaning I will likely be at 200k in just over 4 years. Do as much preventative maintenance as you can. Inspect the motor regularly, check the fluids religiously, and most importantly, spend lots of time on LegacyGT.com. The people here are a very knowledgeable bunch and can equip you with the right tools to make your LGT a great long-term vehicle.

Now, that being said, there's a reason I keep my 97 Civic around. I mean, I love my LGT and all but, I'd get in my Civic right now and drive it across the world. My LGT though...well...I guess I'd have to roll the dice once again.

old does not equal un reliable but it does mean you are going to some issues that are related to age vs. mileage.

2002 Acura CL type S replaced

warranty replaced transmission once in 2008

all rubber pieces of suspension this year (outside of end links)

replaced 4th gear pressure switch this year

rad cap and end links last year ,

3 sets of lower ball joints (our roads suck) over 138K/9 years

138 on the car now. In service date March 2002.

2003 Legacy 75K, owned 10 months, bought it at 62K

April 2014

replaced 4 stripped studs (previous owner put the wrong locks on the car

replaced rearview mirror due to it leaking internally.

September 2014

rebuilt engine at 69k due to leaks and in the process corrected the piston slap since the engine was apart.

Fixed the Schroeder valve on AC

repaired the power steering rack,

Car now has 76K on it. In service date, November 2002

It seems like it's hit or miss with the car you get. Mine's never left me stranded, but there have been wear items I wouldn't have encountered in brand new or super low mileage car.

I will say I didn't even get a pristine example. Even as a unicorn, it was the cheapest, roughest shape LGT around when I was looking at 3-4 others. It had kinda high miles for a car that someone would want to buy used and have the last car they buy for many years. There's a laundry list of small issues I have, but so far it hasn't just quit working, or blown up in any way. I believe the previous owner got tired of the mounting repair costs and unloaded it.

I've replaced wheels bearings, axles, clutch and now spark plugs for peace of mind. Regular oil changes, and keeping fluids topped off.

Though I think I have a different view of "reliable." Reliable means I'm not without a car for multiple, week long periods. If I can fix it in a weekend, I won't chalk it up to poor reliability. My wife's family, views anything other than fuel fill ups as unreliability. I think how you view the LGT depends on where you fall in that spectrum.

93k on mine, original owner, 3.2-3.5 T6 OCI,replaced plugs, F/R pads & rotors and UP when I joined the forum @67k, 69k rear wheel bearings ( SOA paid for) Wastegate & stage 1 tune 18 months ago and TB and LCA's replaced this month. I've driven 1600miles RT to AZ the last 2 years. It's been great, I drive like a grandpa 90% of the time.

Any car is going to require you put some money in it as it gets older. I've got 131,000 on my 05 LGT wagon and I won't be surprised if I need a clutch and turbo in the next year or so. I am planning on replacing the catted uppipe in the next 6 months and the oxygen sensors too. That's life.

Archived