LegacyGT.com

Is the 4th Gen too old now to be reliable?

Got mine in June of last year, so I will have owned her for about 7 months. I bought her w/ around147,000 miles on her. She has around 153,320 miles on her now. She's been good to me. Things replaced/fixed were tires(previous owner recommended them. They also hummed like a mofo), and the exhaust (original y pipe rusted out), and fixed a fuel line leaking twice, in the cold, which was very annoying :mad:. Mods include RallyArmor Mud Flaps, Cobb shift knob and AP, w/ a Cobb OTS stage 1 91 octane tune installed on her. I just tightened the clamps, but will be replacing that line with new clamps when it gets warmer out. I would say I'm doing good so far. I do my oil changes @ around 3k mi or a bit earlier. However, I'll be looking into brakes(will probably need them in the summer), and a clutch in the future since I plan on going stage 2 (conservative pro tune) and it will probably burn up from the extra power :lol::p. The only other thing I had done was the brake line recall due to the salts in CT and other states that use them due to the salt corroding everything it touches :spin:. Funny part was I found out in the newspaper that the brake lines were recalled the very next day when I bought her :p:rolleyes:. However, I knew what I got myself into when I bought the car. You need to be prepared if things happen, and then have to make a decision from there. Also, read the forum. Lots of good info on here. If you do decide to buy one, good luck :)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought mine a year ago with 102k( second owner), timing belt serviced at that time. Unbeknownst to me, I inherited a damaged engine with my purchase.:lol: Engined damage confirmed 6 months ago. Sitting on 117K as I type this now.

My rebuild starts next week, New sb, New clutch and smfw conversion. Said **** it! Saved the money to bump it up to stage 2 , and having her protuned after she's broken in.

Hopefully by applying what I have learned on this forum about maintaining and caring for these cars I can enjoy it for awhile.

Archived