LegacyGT.com

Auto-dimming Side Mirror Problem

Hello all,

Long-time lurker and first time poster here. I decided to have the auto-dimming side mirrors installed at the dealership (wish I would have just ordered the car that way from the factory) and have had nothing but problems so far. The passenger side mirror is fine, but the driver side mirror looks like a funhouse mirror. The dealership has ordered and installed two separate driver side mirrors now and both have had this problem. They are now ordering a third. I'm thinking it is installer error - there's got to be little to no chance that I've gotten a bad mirror twice - but has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions?

I would love to do the install myself, but I honestly don't have the time.

Guest rayms69
hard to imagine that could get F@#$ed up twice, pretty simple job to do yourself. Funhouse mirror? Definitely should have ordered what you wanted

Yeah, the reflection in the mirror looks wavy and is not clear or crisp like it should be. Gives me a headache when looking at it too long. A bad piece of glass was plausible the first time, but to get two bad mirrors seems less probable. The installers are at a loss as to why it is happening, but something is definitely not right. I'm less certain that it is the glass and wondering if it is just a bad installation. Maybe something is pushing it from behind in the housing and causing the glass to flex? Seems like they would be able to fix that though and they've worked for hours on this now. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I've had the exact same issue happened to my twice back in November. They stated it's a manufacturer problem, and they would call me when they get their hands on one set w/o the issues. I got the call last week, I'll be going in some time this week to get them installed.

An optical defect in the mirror should be visible as soon as it's unboxed. I question why your dealer's techs bothered to install a defective mirror ... twice.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

ammicinnis - I agree completely. This is the most upsetting part of this for me. I can understand if it is a bad mirror, even if it happens twice. But how can you not notice that you have a bad mirror before you put it on the vehicle? The guy that checked me out said that the installers told him the mirror looked fine out of the box. This means they didn't even check it after putting the mirror on. If I hadn't looked at the mirror myself before pulling away from the dealership, they would have just let me go with a funhouse mirror both times. Very disappointing since the whole reason I was there a 2nd time is because the mirror wasn't right. You would think that checking to make sure the mirror is right after installation would be common sense considering that's the reason for the appointment. Apparently not.

Well I just had my dealer install a set. I got a fun house drivers side mirror as well. The passenger side is perfect.

Back to the dealer it goes. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey all, first time post for me as well. I just had the auto dimming side view mirrors installed on my Legacy and picked the car up last night. I too have the “funhouse” mirror on the driver’s side. It’s terribly distracting and painful to look at. I guess I’ll be going back to the dealership once again. Has anyone confirmed that there is/was a bad batch of these mirrors?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i am on my third drivers side auto dim exterior mirror now. The newest one is much better but still not as good as the passengers side. The mirror looks great out of the box but as soon as its put on the car things go bad. My dealer is suspecting that the mirror assembly itself is bad and that it may be bending the glass and distorting the glass because of a bad mount. They are going to try mounting the bad mirrors i have on other cars to see if the problem is in the glass itself or the mirror assembly......

stay tuned

• 2 weeks later...
Just picked my car back up. The dealer didn't replace the mirror because they compared it to another 15' Legacy with auto dimming mirrors (factory installed) and said they saw the same issue. I'm told the auto dimming mirrors have a liquid in them which allows the mirror to dim, but also causes the shadow and wavy image. I'm not sure I buy it because auto dimming technology has been around for a while and other manufacturers don't have this problem. It seems I'll just have to deal with it. Looking forward to other updates and information everyone else receives.

JMcTizz - I don't buy your dealer's explanation. If everyone was having the same problem, then maybe, but there are too many people who have these installed without issue for this to make sense. I think it is simply a bad batch like faiello stated. I'll be getting my 3rd one installed soon and will update when I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Just got my third driver's side mirror installed and it is better than the previous two, but still has a light funhouse effect. It is tolerable considering it is not headache inducing like the last two, but not perfect. I am not sure what to do at this point. Do I contact Subaru and see if they'll pay for another dealership to try to install it in case it is an installation issue? At least I was able to talk the dealership into giving me a credit for a free detail this summer.

Just got my third driver's side mirror installed and it is better than the previous two, but still has a light funhouse effect. It is tolerable considering it is not headache inducing like the last two, but not perfect. I am not sure what to do at this point. Do I contact Subaru and see if they'll pay for another dealership to try to install it in case it is an installation issue? At least I was able to talk the dealership into giving me a credit for a free detail this summer.

I'd keep pushing it. No reason it should not be right. It is a safety feature and it is apparently obviously wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

reviving this thread.

Has anyone recently had the dimming mirrors installed and had no problems?

I'm about to take possession of the new car and I'm having the dealer install the mirrors as part of the original purchase.

At this point I'm concerned I'll get a bad mirror from the start.

Thanks.

Ok i am on my third drivers side auto dim exterior mirror now. The newest one is much better but still not as good as the passengers side. The mirror looks great out of the box but as soon as its put on the car things go bad. My dealer is suspecting that the mirror assembly itself is bad and that it may be bending the glass and distorting the glass because of a bad mount. They are going to try mounting the bad mirrors i have on other cars to see if the problem is in the glass itself or the mirror assembly......

stay tuned

what was the end result?

Archived