LegacyGT.com

Antfreeze odor - unresolved with SOA

M. Schneider

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the problem persists despite their replaceing the head gasket then their only other option is replaceing the block.. Look around this site because there have been others who have had SOA pick up the tab for this KNOWN issue. I'd stick it to them, and if they still refuse, take it up with a Lawyer.. this is a known, documented, issue with Subaru.

If the problem persists....maybe the smell isn't coming from the head gaskets....

And there is no known issue on the current generation of 2.5l Subaru engines...

Well, this thread is very interesting. coolant smell from N/A EJ25, very few possibilities. The open deck nature of the block, low cost cast method for the engine, Composite Head gasket material.....They all leak, usually starts on the driver's side. Turbo EJ20/25, semi-closed deck, triple steel Head gaskets, no head gasket leaks. Smell usually from loose hoses/overflow tank, no it is not airtight, the cooling sys. pressure will force the cap to release a bit into the overflow, and air(smell) will escape. Recently I changed a left head gasket on a 2005 o/b with 13,000 miles on it, so they are going to happen, and as far as the conditioner......don't even bother, unless you want to buy a little time, I've only seen it work once. If you want a bullet-proof setup, (No head gasket problems/piston slap)you need an EJ22. They only leak oil like the rest. Although who can get away from oil leaks, right?

• 1 month later...

Aw crap. I have had this LGT for a whopping 9K miles now (4.5 months) and this is the first item I am having to search on.

I have an 06 LGT, and yesterday I noticed "The coolant smell". I looked for any signs of a leak, found nothing, and decided it was a fluke.

Just now I went to lunch, opened the door, and what do I smell?? Coolant.

Details:

• 06 LGT, stage 2 moded. 9,XXX miles. Car has been owned for 4.5-5 mos.
  • No signs of a leak (checked all hoses and joints, and coolant overflow tank)
  • Outside air temp is right aroun 40 F both times I noticed it.
  • Smell is present inside cabin more than outside of car (however I was parked in a parking lot where a slight breeze was present which would clear smells away well)
  • Nothing has been done to the cooling system (no 'wonder' additives, nothing disco'd and re connected, nothing...)

So now what? Do I have to start the pain in the ass of dealing with a dealership? Has anyone gotten any resolve on this issue yet? All of the posts that I have read end sort of vaguely, and none seem to have come to any conclusive end... they are just ambigous and nebulous toward the end of the posts....

Fark.

I really, really hope this is not a marker of "things to come".

:( Well this is a very interesting thread....upon cold starting mine stinks like coolant and then goes away after a few minutes of warming....Cold motor is the only time it does this though.....interesting to say the least.

Come to think of it....my '01 RS had a head gasket issue where the dealer added a sealant to the cooloant......a trend perhaps for the 2.5 motors regardless of asparation?

• 10 months later...
Coolant odor does not indicate a leak...the cooling system is not a completely sealed unit as the overflow tank is "vented" to the ground...

You keep pushing that idea, and it a loser idea, for this instance.

I had smoke rollin out the hoodscoop today:rolleyes:

You keep pushing that idea, and it a loser idea, for this instance.

I had smoke rollin out the hoodscoop today:rolleyes:

So you have visable smoke (steam) and smell...two symptoms. My comment was directed to the people that only have the odor as the odor alone does not indicate a leak or a head gasket issue.

So you have visable smoke (steam) and smell...two symptoms. My comment was directed to the people that only have the odor as the odor alone does not indicate a leak or a head gasket issue.

Yep, only when cold. After warmup, it goes away.:rolleyes:

Dropping it off today I have 35986 miles....just in time:spin:

Seems like the odor folks have coolant loss too?

I just think the small amount of fumes that could leak from the overflow would only be smelt if your nose was right on it.

I have the same issue...I've had 2 different garages and a subaru tech out to figure out where the smell is coming from...mine gets so bad it makes you nauseous...its the worst at idle when the car is warm...I have a hard time going to the atm or drive thru's because of the smell...they have pressure tested the system MANY times and have come up empty handed....one tech told me to take it to the car was and wash the under carrage that should do the trick...I was so insulted by that comment....but yeah my 05 has done it since I bought it....and if anything its gotten worse of the years...

I was filling up with gas today and I noticed on my driver side that coolant coming from my car to. Then I went to get a cup of joe and came back and started the car and my check engine lite was on and my cruise controll was blink. Weird so I went home and disconnect the battery for like ten min. And everything was o.k no check engine lite was on and the cruise controll stoped blinking.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to subi's with the purchase of my '05 LGT in October. I have been into the dealer once already about this mysterious odor. The smell was so bad as the car was warming up in the morning it made my eyes water. His suggestion was to put my heater on recirculate. He took me under the car and showed me that it was probably burnt grease from a CV boot splashing back onto the exhaust on the passenger side, but I know he's full of $hit, its antifreeze im not an idiot. He also noticed the antifreeze was low so he added some.

TaDA... my antifreeze is low again, and my car still stinks! The smell is getting worse and I have a massive amount of steam coming out of my hoodscoop as the car heats up in the morning.

On top of my antifreeze issue, my headliner is sagging?! WTF, I would have rather kept my 99 ACURA with less miles then having to go to the dealer for crap!

I plan on making an appt. to have this looked into further, i'm also taking the TSB about the dash rattle in b/c that is driving me bonkers as well.

I love my AWD and my boost, but this is really getting frustrating!!!:mad:

• 5 months later...
Ancient thread...but I am also noticing a coolant smell. In this case it is when the car is warm, already running for at least 30 minutes. Like other people said...I don't seem to have a leak as the coolant level stays the same. Not sure what causes it.

i got the same thing. no leaks and fluid level hasn't gone down. it's a mystery

Same here for 3+ years . In any other car I've owned that smell would signal a leak in the cooling system. It's just normal, however, in some LGTs.

Correction...I do appear to have lost some coolant as the level is slighly under the "low" mark on the plastic overflow tank. Engine is also 2.5i.

Can it really be head gasket problem? I find that hard to believe some people were told that by the dealer.

I had two turbo coolant hoses replaced on my engine (2005 LGT) it finally stopped the smell. In my case the smell was overbearing. I had a lot of other problems with the car as well, I went through 2 sets of headlights, 2 sets of fog lights, a tail light, and license plate frame lights... electrical problem anyone? Oh and a wiring harness for the fogs. The best the dealer would tell me (I went to three subi dealers) that it was caused by my "after market" bulbs. I went to advanced auto and bought sylvania bulbs made for the car, nothing fancy, just regular old bulbs, what a bunch of bull. Anyway, I had enough... traded in for a 2008 Impreza WRX wagon.. I'M IN LOVE!!!!

Archived