LegacyGT.com

Antfreeze odor - unresolved with SOA

M. Schneider

Somebody wrote that the hose clamps are cheap and causes a slow leak. As I recall from my old '85 Subie wagon that I had 10 years ago...ditto. The hose clamps were crap and I replaced with quality clamps for $2 that you can buy at any auto parts store.

If it is a head gasket problem...then I think you would see coolant in the oil when you do an oil change which I noticed none.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this problem with my 05 LGT...mystery antifreeze odor they were never able to figure out...

now I have the 08 LGT and it started with that car now after 6,000 miles...but this one is worse...I get smoke that comes out of my tailpipe...and its NOT from a cold start but after running it for a while...the engine temp was more than 1/2 way too...so I dunno I'm bringin it in on monday...

I had this problem with my 05 LGT...mystery antifreeze odor they were never able to figure out...

now I have the 08 LGT and it started with that car now after 6,000 miles...but this one is worse...I get smoke that comes out of my tailpipe...and its NOT from a cold start but after running it for a while...the engine temp was more than 1/2 way too...so I dunno I'm bringin it in on monday...

Sounds like blown headgasket.

I don't know all the levels looked normal...

I'm not 100% that was the problem...as has everyone else said but I do know coolant was getting into the engine somehow to be burned off through the tail pipe...

and like I said I had 6,000 miles on it...it actually went at 4,000 miles...I forgot that happend before my trip last week....Gotta love subaru's...

Archived