LegacyGT.com

Does the wagon spoiler do anyhting?

Mui01

This will be the first car that has a spoiler. I know the STi spolier works and wondering is this thing is for looks (my Impreza Outback had a non- functional hood scoop). Can not find anything on this site and other site regarding this matter.

Any info would be great :lol:

Guest *Jedimaster*
I like the look of it, but it's far form being as functional as the one on the WRX wagon. It needs to stick out further. On the WRX, I got little or no rain most of the time, not to mention snow and dust.

I used to own a Taurus SHO, and while reading a review it mentioned the "functional" spoiler but I can't for the life of me recal what the difference was that made is "functional" something about being attached fully, and not allowing air to flow around it..

damned if I can remember..

Unsure if it totally works until you hit triple digits. If anything it would add a slight drag and a bit of downforce over the back axle but how much would be hard to tell.

Ada///M.

Moving to Exterior...

Thanks.

Thanks, that what I expected from it :)

I would think it would aid in creating less drag.

Usually spoilers like that (lip type, not wing type) which are flat to the horizontal surface don't produce downforce as much as they create a "spoiler" effect behind the trailing edge.

It creates a strong vacuum zone behind and below the spoiler trailing edge, which pulls the air downward off the trailing edge of the spoiler, and creates eddies in the larger air pocket behind the car. By pulling air into the pocket behind the car, it raises the air pressure slightly in that zone, to decrease aerodynamic drag.

I am not sure if the Legacy wagon spoiler does that very well, but that is the theory I have heard about aerodynamic spoilers, as opposed to downforce generating wings. (which are technically not spoilers) Wings and front air-dams are for anti-lift, rear-mounted (lip-type) spoilers are for anti-drag.

In reality, most are for decoration, though... more fashion than function.

I think I'm going to hurl!

Here's the basics. Wings generate lift. Spoilers decrease lift. You will find spoilers on wings of many aircrafts. Wings basically have two surfaces. On an aircraft wing, airflow goes over the top and bottom. The top surface forces the air accelerate and to travel a longer distance. With the increase in velocity of the air, the pressure decreases. The difference in pressure between the top and the bottom is what generates lift. A wing on a race car is just an airplane wing flipped over.

Spoilers basically disrupts the laminar flow over the wing and stops the decrease in air pressure, and lift.

The shape of some cars basically acts like a wing. The faster you go, the more lift your produce, and the less downforce you have. At rest, you already have 3300 lbs of downforce in a LGT. Nascar uses a lip spoiler to reduce lift and also spoilers to stop the car from taking off when going backwards. Champ cars and F1 cars due to regulations have to use wings to produce lift except in the downward direction. At high speeds, the wings will generate more downforce than the initial weight of the car.

Wings and spoilers on a conventional car really don't do anything to add downforce to the car. You really don't have enough lift at low speeds <100 mph to really affect the handling of the car. The one big tradeoff of using wings and lip spoilers in racing and on the street is increase in drag. More drag you have, the worse your fuel economy and lower your top speed gets.

If you were to design a race series where there are no rules, you will not see a single wing or spoiler on any car. Wings produce a lot of drag, rough ratio is for every pound of downforce the wings produce, you will get 5 pounds of drag. What the engineers would do is develop a really effecient undertray. You can produce just as much downforce, yet the ratio of downforce to drag drops to 1:3. Add in active aerodynamics(fans), that ratio will drop again. There was a CFD analysis done on Nascar where they smooth out the airflow underneath the car, even that showed a decrease in lift.

• 11 months later...

A clean under-belly lets air slip more quickly under the car than over it, creating a vacuum that sucks the car to the road, creating downforce. I heard the Ford GT is creating 1G downforce at speed due to its belly pan. If it did more than that, conceivably you could drive upsidedown through a tunnel. Now that sucks!

Hmm.

Scott

1G? isn't downforce usually measured in lbs?

.. maybe... in that case, it would be the weight of the car, again. The car would seem twice as heavy. Unless of course, you're driving upsidedown then it would seem nearly weightless. It would still have the same mass. And if you charged a flux capacitor with sufficient energy to equal the speed of light at the precise moment where kinetic energy totals the inverse of the constant "c" (e = mc^2) you could also achieve time travel. It's dicey though, when you're upsidedown traveling at 200 mph.

But at the price of gas today, it's not affordable.

A smooth underbody along with a good diffuser at the back will generate more down force with less drag than any wing or spoiler you stick on top of the car. Of course at high speeds, the low pressure area under the car will suck the moisture right out of the ground. There's been some IMSA Porsches from the 70's and 80's that were converted to street legal in Europe. If it is raining, it's next to impossible to see behind the car. On the extreme end, Champ Cars races on temporary street circuits must have all the manhole covers welded shut or else the pressure difference would lift the covers out of the holes.

A clean under-belly lets air slip more quickly under the car than over it, creating a vacuum that sucks the car to the road, creating downforce.

This description is not technically correct. A clean belly actually doesn’t allow the air to move through the bottom any faster. It just doesn’t slow the air down and create a high-pressure region. A properly designed underbody to create down force will incorporate Venturi effect to accelerate the air through the underbody thus creating a low-pressure region. The “down force” is actually the result of the force from the high pressure region above the vehicle pushing down been greater than the force of the low-pressure region beneath the car pushing up. I know a lot of people use the term “vacuum” to describe this effect but it’s really not a proper terminology.

A clean under-belly lets air slip more quickly under the car than over it, creating a vacuum that sucks the car to the road, creating downforce. I heard the Ford GT is creating 1G downforce at speed due to its belly pan. If it did more than that, conceivably you could drive upsidedown through a tunnel. Now that sucks!

Hmm.

Scott

problem with designing such, you need to have a really lowered car.. not many of us will go through that trouble of running the car so low, even with a big front lip that hangs low.

The Saleen S7 can generate that same downforce as the Ford GT around 160 mph

Keefe

.. maybe... in that case, it would be the weight of the car, again. The car would seem twice as heavy. Unless of course, you're driving upsidedown then it would seem nearly weightless. It would still have the same mass. And if you charged a flux capacitor with sufficient energy to equal the speed of light at the precise moment where kinetic energy totals the inverse of the constant "c" (e = mc^2) you could also achieve time travel. It's dicey though, when you're upsidedown traveling at 200 mph.

But at the price of gas today, it's not affordable.

200mph? LAME! the DeLorean did it with just 88mph :lol: And with Mr.Fusion, all you need is some backwash from a beer can, the can, and a banana peel and you are good to go!

Keefe

This description is not technically correct. A clean belly actually doesn’t allow the air to move through the bottom any faster. It just doesn’t slow the air down and create a high-pressure region. A properly designed underbody to create down force will incorporate Venturi effect to accelerate the air through the underbody thus creating a low-pressure region. The “down force” is actually the result of the force from the high pressure region above the vehicle pushing down been greater than the force of the low-pressure region beneath the car pushing up. I know a lot of people use the term “vacuum” to describe this effect but it’s really not a proper terminology.

In other words, you're riding on a thinner cushion of air.

Bah, all this points out to the simple equation PV=nRT where you can lower the volume under the car to help keep the pressure low by dropping the temperature down or prevent the air from heating up as it passes under the car (higher temp = more friction of air molecules)

Keefe

Archived