LegacyGT.com

Luck with replacement axles?

Hey there. OBXT project has grown to be much larger project than I expected. Now that the motor is mostly sorted I need to address other issues. The most recent issue to pop up is one of the front axles

I'd prefer to just replace it with a new one as opposed to rebuilding it, but from what I've read aftermarket new/reman axles are a risk. Some work okay, others are terrible.

Anyone here have a specific brand besides OE and Raxles that worked well for them?

First choice is rebuild yours.

Second, the new rule is to get a reman axles, not new aftermarket. 50% of the new ones have issues, my trusted mechanic replaced my 11 month old axle he installed with a reman 12 months ago. Its been fine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

good advice, thanks. Anything on an axle that would distinguish it as OE vs aftermarket? I know OE ones are usually green but are there any other markings on them? If so I could go to napa,autozone, etc and hopefully find one that is OE

Also, what is the point of "no return" on rebuilding the existing axles? Is there any permanent damage that could happen to an axle that would make trying to rebuild it pointless?

I got a cardone for like $50 a side with the intention of rebuilding the stockers down the road and not having to worry about downtime. Been over a year with no problem on either side.

http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=A1+Cardone+66-7355&x=13&y=20

Thanks! for every good review I see of each aftermarket axle brand, I see a bad one. It really is luck of the draw it seems. Glad your's are working out!

I rebuilt mine. If you don't have this option, get remanufactured OEM axles from subaru. I do not recommend buying a 3rd party (Cardone/Duralast) as max has said, i've seen a rather high failure rate, it's just not worth it, the amount of hassle I had to undergo to just remove the CV shaft, was enough for me to do it right the first time.

Part # 7336 reman from Autozone. $59 after core return.

and they are said to be rebuilt oem cores (a good thing)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 1 month later...
I got a cardone for like $50 a side with the intention of rebuilding the stockers down the road and not having to worry about downtime. Been over a year with no problem on either side.

http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq=A1+Cardone+66-7355&x=13&y=20

I can reiterate this. Just replaced a badly vibrating front left with a Cardone new unit. $65 bux with next day shipping on Amazon. Getting the stub into the front diff was a bit difficult but it eventually popped in. I'm going to go ahead and replace the front right when I replace inner tie rod ends soon. I'll hold on to the OEM axles and rebuild them later.

EMPI has been one of the best aftermarket axles manufacturers that I've used on any of my cars. I replaced my Legacy one with an EMPI last November and it's been good so far. I use EMPI axles on my Nissan race car with great success too.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I just replaced the front passenger axle on our LGT this weekend with an Empi unit, we will see how it holds up. OEM one was ok other than the split boot, 140k on it.

Same here, mine just needed a new boots. I started adding the price of buying boots etc. It was going to be only $20 some cheaper then just getting an EMPI. :lol:

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

I ended up rebuilding mine too. For anyone that does, be sure to a) remove the air from inside the boot before tightening the clamps and b) make sure the bearings are sitting about halfway through the green cup before clamping everything down tight.

I did not do this with one of the two I rebuilt and it caused a lot of vibration. The bearings were hitting the end of the cup and there was no room for them to move back and forth. After rebuilding make sure there is plenty of range of motion in the boot before installing.

• 1 month later...
I can reiterate this. Just replaced a badly vibrating front left with a Cardone new unit. $65 bux with next day shipping on Amazon. Getting the stub into the front diff was a bit difficult but it eventually popped in. I'm going to go ahead and replace the front right when I replace inner tie rod ends soon. I'll hold on to the OEM axles and rebuild them later.

I just did the Cardone axle too for $65. Flawless and works great.

• 3 months later...

Archived