LegacyGT.com

Oil on Engine Block

Ive been trying to find an oil leak but not sure where to start. I see pools of oil on top of the block near the back on passenger side and some on driver side. If it were water or coolant I figured it would have burnt off.

So at first I thought it was oil pan gasket from all the oil on the bottom, but then I saw the oil on the top, not sure where to start. How many oil lines run outside the engine, I know there are the lines for the ocvs, are there any others, especially ones with gaskets?

Where exactly are these half moon seals?

Found it

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/user_submitted_content/photos/LIC%20121811_1.jpg

Now I know what i'm working with.

I'm going to replace the ocv line and these half moons and see where it takes me.

From what I've read PCV is likely the culprit.

I just replaced the pcv assembly, already tried that route :lol:

Does the pita stem that the pcv assembly goes onto thread into the block or is it a flange?

Possibly oil feed lines for the turbo.

All that is aftermarket, only thing left is the part the goes from banjo to ocv under the turbo inlet. I will be replacing that as well. I inspected it for a while and didn't see any signs of it leaking. That is what I initially thought it was but I couldn't find anything to prove it.

http://static.opposedforces.com/epc_img/366495100603.png

Anyone know what part number #9 is?

Or does anyone know of an aftermarket one? I have the filtered ip&t kit.

I would much prefer not having to remove my intake manifold....again..

• Moderators

Pretty sure that's the AVCS line--the full IP&T kit can include that line but doesn't have to. It's a solid line, so not really sure why it would leak.

If you have aftermarket oil lines, they are probably the most likely place for a leak. Maybe something isn't tight enough. Did you check the "cap" that you installed with the IP&T oil lines--the little block-off piece?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

There is gobs of oil on the crossmember. I checked the oil line going to turbo, and nothing is leaking. If I have to remove the intake manifold to actually check if its leaking... then I would much rather just buy a replacement lol.

Its something on the passenger side and its not the turbo, the oil is coming down the back of the cylinder head onto the crossmember.

So i'm going to replace these half moon seals, and avcs line for good measure, i've replaced everything else... so why not at this point lol.

Do you know the part number for the avcs line?

I wish I would have bought the complete kit.

But it being a solid line makes it even more prone to fractures. Vibration and pressure alone could cause it to crack. It may have cracked when I was removing the banjo bolt or removing and installing the turbo a dozen times.

• Moderators

I've never heard of that line failing on it's own, but yes you certainly could have broken it. When folks have an issue and it could possibly be related to an aftermarket part / recent installation or work, that's usually the most likely culprit.

Could also be related to an oil cooler gasket, but that wouldn't put oil on top of the motor.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

http://www.infamousperformance.net/media/03/a20791f1392355e0045e9e_m.jpg

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1622/IP%26T-06-dsh-08-WRX-fdsh-04-dsh-08-STi/Detail

Think i'm going to get that guy and modify it with my existing kit. Either cap it off or attach the filter to it.

I do not want to remove my intake manifold, I finally got it perfect.

Yep, its all new, new gasket, new oil stem, new hose, and I used hose clamps as well. I had a good long battle with that turbo oil drain..... So I know its not that. After pulling the turbo off about 5 times I finally fixed that leak.

Its nothing related to the turbo because I would see all the oil on the turbo, the hose and the stem and all that is bone dry.

The oil is on the cylinder head not the turbo. Which is why i'm assuming its the half moons or the avcs line.

That's weird. The only oil that crosses on the cylinder head is for ocv. Is the oil ring bad for the ocv? Or copper gaskets for the banjos. That's the #9 line. It also has that an type fitting for the feed line to the turbo.

I don't think its the avcs line, I'm going to replace the half moons first. I just hope my head gasket isn't going.

Car idles and drives fine, but I've been tracking down a vacuum leak for months now and I'm wondering if a leaking valve cover would cause a vacuum leak?

True, I cleaned the oil of the top of the block and going to see if it comes back. Oil could have accumulated there after all the pulling it apart and removing and installing my turbo so many times.

Either way I'm changing both the line and seals. I changed the valve cover gasket a while back but never knew about the half moons, I don't remember even seeing them so... I'm going to start there.

If you've got it coming out near the back of the block/bellhousing on the passenger side, I'd say you've got a problem with the stem from the block where the PCV goes. Did you fight to get that clamp on it? Over time, that hose can loosen and start to lose oil as the crankcase "breathes" through those breather hoses.

My vote goes to PCV, specifically, that hose and/or clamp area.

But I changed the entire pcv assembly,

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-632/Subaru-05-dsh-06-Legacy-GT/Detail

Unless the stem that mounts onto is the culprit. I can't seem to find any diagrams or pictures of what that pcv assembly actually mounts to.

Because my clutch seems to have gone prematurely and I was thinking oil got in the mix.

Archived