LegacyGT.com

Why is our control arm anchored by a big squishy tennis ball?

RobY

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah guys - the bushes are priced at AUD$140. Probably end up at US$140 anyway 'cause they have to be shipped to the U.S. & distributed out.

They made an outstanding difference to the way my car steers. And there's no NVH tradeoff, unlike the Perrin ones.

Yes, a press is necessary - I'd suggest you get it all done at a good suspension shop. They need to take an alignment reading pre-fitment anyway to know which bush kit to order.

Take the time to read my write-up linked to the earlier post.

From what I can tell, U.S. customers should discuss this with the U.S. distributor:

Glenn Dirkse

Global Performance Parts

4554 - 128th Street

Michigan 49423

Ph: 616 399 9025

Fax: 616 399 9174

Web: www.globalperformanceparts.com

E.Mail: glennd@globalperformanceparts.com

Hi Folks,

HiFi is dead-right about these bushes. If you haven't read his report, I recommend you do so!

I had the Perrins fitted about 6 months ago and while they provided excellent location of the LCAs, I found the regular trips the dentist to have my fillings re-done were becoming tedious... :)

About 3 months ago I was fortunate to have some early SuperPro (Fulcrum) bushes fitted in place of the Perrins and everything HiFi says regarding these new units is correct, - 99.9% of the benefits of the Perrins, - virtually 0% of the NVH issues.

These are a great product from a company that (secretly) supplies OEM bushes to some of the most exclusive sports-car manufacturers in the world for some of the most expensive and high performance cars on the planet. (Their supply agreements precludes advertising or even acknowledging this fact. Go figure...)

However, from what I've found with their bushes, they've put their expertise and experience to good use in producing a really well-engineered mass-market product at a very reasonable price. (I personally can't afford the phone-number prices of the cars to which their bushes are fitted as original equipment, so having these is a bit like having a bit of secret exotica in my sedan...)

Anyway, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this product if it's selected and fitted correctly. It made a huge difference to my vehicle.

Thanks for the report HiFi.

Regards,

Craig

Anybody want to explain the purposes of the three kits??? Do you generally want castor to be the same on both sides or should there be a slight differential side to side. My car currently pulls to the right on crowned roads (left hand drive) which I think is due to the castor being uneven on both sides?? But maybe it is just more uneven then it should be...

They sell three kits:

SPF2801K - 2 standard

SPF2802K - 1 offset and 1 standard

SPF2803K - 2 offset bushings

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

Anybody want to explain the purposes of the three kits??? Do you generally want castor to be the same on both sides or should there be a slight differential side to side. My car currently pulls to the right on crowned roads (left hand drive) which I think is due to the castor being uneven on both sides?? But maybe it is just more uneven then it should be...

They sell three kits:

SPF2801K - 2 standard

Thanks for the help,

Kevin

If you want your car to track straight on flat ground you'd want equal caster on each side. I guess if you know how much the caster was off from one side to the other and how much the offset bushing changes the caster you could even it out by using one offset and one standard bushing. Personally if I do this I'll probably just use 2 offset bushings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckman http://legacygt.com/forums/skynetim/buttons/viewpost.gif

SPF2801K - 2 standard

Hifi, which kit did you use? I assume 2801- standard.

Actually from the picture it looks like Hifi used 2802. You can see the offset in one of the bushings and the number on the package.

Just not sure why you wouldn't get 2 offset bushings for the maximum adjustability?

If you want your car to track straight on flat ground you'd want equal caster on each side. I guess if you know how much the caster was off from one side to the other and how much the offset bushing changes the caster you could even it out by using one offset and one standard bushing. Personally if I do this I'll probably just use 2 offset bushings.

According to my last alignment the castor is different on each side due to a slightly bent right control arm (minor accident). These bushings would help me even out the castor as well as improve steering response.

I am leaning towards the 2 offset bushings as well, but just wondered if there were any drawbacks other than maybe making the install a bit trickier.

Re: my reason to chose the 2802 (one standard, one offset), this was recommended to me by Fulcrum as my car has always (mildly) pulled left (falling off the left-hand side of the road) due to road camber & this annoyed me no end.

If the road is flat & straight, the car tracks straight. All the offset seems to do is provide more resistance to falling towards the road camber (remembering, we drive on the LHS :icon_wink ).

My OEM caster reading was actually a little less on the left than the right. With these new bushes, the delta has shifted to where I wanted it to be...more on the left!

BTW - just completed a 1,460 km (900-odd mile) drive in 13 hours & feel great. It's fantastic not to have to fight the slight left pull & also experience pin-sharp steering & arrow-straight tracking. I'm more than happy with the outcome :icon_bigg

Archived