LegacyGT.com

5 Years Later, Finally Replaced the LGT with an SC'd Corvette

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn, that is some great driving, you were hauling! I have never driven on a road track before, pushing your car like that requires to have a set nuts without adding you are driving on a windy track.

At long last I got my headlights done but was too busy to drive the car. I haven't been able to capture the halos, they are xbaled and are too bright for my camera to capture in a darker setting. I'm really happy with how it turned out makes a drastic change in appearance.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/5BCDD9F9-EDFE-4838-89A7-A9DCFCBBC018_zpshz5u6jvh.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/DB91FBE8-C207-4295-BC1B-EC040F43796F_zpshf1fea7h.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/71BB1BED-9999-4E40-AB60-7B021FF77858_zpsilfhugc7.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/32C48C5C-071A-4B71-9294-FA55BC33C53F_zpsnidiyntz.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/D23996E4-0FD9-4F21-A9F0-06F1AE7D87FC_zpscabdltwv.jpg

Thanks! Track driving is very addictive, so don't get involved unless you want to have your savings turn into dust :spin:

I do really like the look of your new headlights. Who makes them and how much are they? Any guess on how much weight that swap took off the front of the car?

They are made by radioflyer innovations and are pricey but very high quality. They are bixenon with self leveling morimoto projectors. I believe they save 17lbs over stock iirc.

Finally getting t pics in broad daylight..

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/FDC98B22-2444-4FF6-83D6-01415F1068ED_zps4sydnydu.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/019EAE03-1F1A-420A-A9D3-5765A79E342F_zpspuppgizz.jpg

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/E30895CC-9AFD-4FFC-9F06-154D37B21A70_zpsyutei6mu.jpg

Hey, looks great, sir. I remember you. I blame you for the sickness I have. Your V1 accessport was the first mod I put on my car. From there, it got a little extensive as you can see.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/edmundus-turbo-lives-avo-450-tune-175414.html

I finally upgraded from the V1 and streettuner to the V2 now that the V3 is out. :lol:

Anyway, very nice machine you got there. I know many former Subaru owners who end up with Corvettes. With a small fraction of the cost, they can be easily upgraded to outperform the exotics. If I were ever in the market for a 2 seater supercar, I'd look at building up a Corvette.

So, maybe I missed it, but have you had that thing running at the track yet?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I just got done rebuilding my motor and putting the car back together. Was my first time I have built a motor and did a lot of other things but I know the Corvette C5 platform in great detail now. Unfortunately, I had to tear my motor down for the worst reason you could imagine. Long story short is I lost oil pressure one day, suspecting oil pump went out, which it did. However the reason it went out was because an aluminum foil seal from an oil bottle fell in while I presume the previous owner's shop did an oil change. It damage a couple lifters going through the head which ultimately damaged the cam as well.

That seal was floating between the windage tray and pan for who knows how long till it got stock in the oil pickup tube and starved the pump for oil. I know it wasn't me who spilled the seal during the oil changes because I use a Hopkins funnel with a screen in it.

PSA: If you take your car to get oil changes somewhere I highly recommend you buy your own oil and remove the seal for them to rule out this happening to you. If you do oil changes yourself make sure you use a funnel with a screen in it.

Onto the good I have put 550 miles on the car since the rebuild, it's ran great, no leaks, no CELs, nothing of note in the oil filter, no oil consumption. The only mechanical performance difference between now and prior to tear down is I changed a cams with one almost identical in profile and had my heads ported. I took my car to the dyno for a retune and made good power. The conditions were 45degrees, correction factor of 1.19 and it was on a dynojet. I ended up maxing out my MAF right at redline due to the cold weather I presume. So far so good, I was dying to see if the motor would hold together on the dyno from my build and it did so apparently I did something right.

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af94/tommypenguin/Corvette/DADB03B4-C944-4BD6-9347-F884719F0006_zpsycevqqqb.jpg

Sucks that such a small thing caused so much damage. But awesome results from the build!

Do you know how much power you were putting down before the rebuild?

It really sucked but I learned a ton and have a deep appreciation on how meticulous engine building is after the fact.

The previous dyno run I did was on a heartbreaking mustang dyno, it read 610whp/533wtq on that. The temp on that day was around 80 degrees, it was humid and the elevation was 200ft higher So I don't really have a great apples to apples comparison unfortunately. I suspect I'm realistically making an additional 30-40whp/wtq over where I was.

Awesome man. Congrats on a successful build. Did you redo the entire engine? Bottom end as well? Or just the valve train?

To add insult to injury while tearing down I discovered the previous owner's shop cracked the block right along a vein for a head stud likely from not cleaning out the bolt hole prior to torque down the ARP bolts or from over torquing. So I had to buy a new block. I replaced rings and main and rod bearings and polished the crank as well. I had ported 243(Z06) heads already. To add to that my machine shop cleaned up the porting and did a 3 angle valve job. I also replaced valve guides, lifters, lifter trays and cam.

I was going to go with a forged crank/stroker kit but found out I'm having a baby the day I was yanking the motor out, that changed my build plans significantly.:redface: Given I'm spraying methanol from 3000rpm to redline and the motor had handled the output previously and research I've done on comparable builds, I'm confident the motor will hold up for the 1500-2000 miles a year I drive the car in the manner I drive it. This car will never see the track, I've never launched it or done a burnout in it, just the occasional 3rd gear pull getting on the highway or 4th gear pass.

If that's how you drive it you probably won't miss the stroker too much. It's not like you would see 100whp+ from it or even 50whp depending on the stroke and factory cranks can hold quite a bit.

Anyway, nice build and nice numbers. Congrats on the baby as well. They aren't that expensive..... until they are teenagers.

Congrats on pulling off a big build like that. You are making some serious power! C5s are pretty light (~3300lbs), so your power to weight ratio is easily near the top of the super car territory. Must be a lot of fun... but a handful to drive, no doubt.

My track whore makes 425whp and 407wtq and is a blast on a road coarse. Unfortunately, due to a full cage, it is not street legal. Can't imagine the acceleration of 730whp. What size and type of tires are you running?

Oh yeah, a baby... well, congrats. My two kids haven't stopped me from blowing a lot of ca$h on cars, so you'll most likely be fine. ;)

Unfortunately, due to a full cage, it is not street legal.

Hmmm.. Why is that? I've seen lots of folks drive fully caged road cars to the track, race them wheel to wheel and drive back home. Rally cars are also fully caged and have to be road legal as they are required to transit between stages on normal roads..

Hmmm.. Why is that? I've seen lots of folks drive fully caged road cars to the track, race them wheel to wheel and drive back home. Rally cars are also fully caged and have to be road legal as they are required to transit between stages on normal roads..

The man below speaks the truth!

A fully caged car involved in an accident is going to be really dangerous to the driver if they are not wearing a helmet. Lots of hard steel pipe to bounce your head off of.

The Corvette is a tight squeeze without a cage. You put SCCA legal tubing on the inside and your head is a couple inches away from padded steel. Not the best thing to hit without a lid on. Some other cars have more headroom and more room altogether, so you can possibly get away with it. I also have Nascar style door bars, so getting in and out is a major bitch. Not even talking about the tight, hard race seats.

Also, my car only has 6 point harnesses and no airbags. Depending on the state (mine doesn't allow it) you can only drive a car legally on the street if it has three point seat belts.

An ultra loud exhaust, stiff coilover suspension, slicks, high camber and caster settings, noisy race pads, no interior, and a terribly grabby clutch all add to the utter lack of appeal for street driving.

Great car on the track, but a lousy one anywhere else. Took my wife for a short ride through the pits and she said that it was the worst car that she has ever been in.

• 1 month later...
Congrats on pulling off a big build like that. You are making some serious power! C5s are pretty light (~3300lbs), so your power to weight ratio is easily near the top of the super car territory. Must be a lot of fun... but a handful to drive, no doubt.

My track whore makes 425whp and 407wtq and is a blast on a road coarse. Unfortunately, due to a full cage, it is not street legal. Can't imagine the acceleration of 730whp. What size and type of tires are you running?

Oh yeah, a baby... well, congrats. My two kids haven't stopped me from blowing a lot of ca$h on cars, so you'll most likely be fine. ;)

Didn't see the replies to this thread till today.:redface:

On my wheel and tire setup it's definitely a handful if not rediculous, I just about never take traction control off and even still 1st and 2nd are worthless with mild throttle. Top of 3rd has gets loose from time to time.

My wheels are 20 x 11(315/30) in the rear with 19 x 10(275/30) up front. Was entertaining the idea of going with smaller wheels I could squeeze the C6 Z06 BBK under but the baby is putting that plan on hold. Going to pick up a set of Michelin Pilot SS and run those for a couple years and then sell these wheels and take a step down in size.

I just turned over 1300miles on the new motor so far it's been running really well. Think whenever this motor goes I will be looking at grabbing an LQ4 or if possible and LS7 short block and stroke the motor with forged internals, ideally building it with my son. You know how it goes after you get used to the power you always want a little more.

• 4 months later...
Glad to hear its still running well! still would love to see that beast, if your ever in Lakewood in it you should drop by the shop.

Dave

One of these days I will have to stop by, had a baby a few months ago and it has made it a little difficult to put many miles on the car this summer.

However I've had time to do a couple mods to it, threw C6 Z06 BBK, put drag radials/wheels on and redid the stereo. Much safer to drive with the DR's and brakes. Putting on some CF skirts and a splitter soon and calling it good for this year. Just turned over 2k on the motor rebuild, been running well.

wheels1.thumb.jpg.992e31c0ff723c4fa14dba8e396c14e2.jpg

wheels2.thumb.jpg.589966ff3568eb3aaf2437ff02fa13a0.jpg

wheels3.thumb.jpg.741553a5fd23b6187c46ef13cabd94a0.jpg

Inside8.thumb.jpg.3ab650863da0e590cf9f8be2d4478043.jpg

insidedoor.thumb.jpg.72a622148045a07d134c9a4a1d042b80.jpg

interior4.thumb.jpg.9f9ea229d5bf6b2dca24e2fd989fc08c.jpg

interior2.thumb.jpg.cea35bb9ffe8ae7513f643507901031a.jpg

Archived