LegacyGT.com

Yay - I'm in the shortblock club!

• Moderators
Then, if it is a bearing, would the engine have starved of oil at some point? Knowing you, I am sure you are on top of your oil level and engine's health in general, so that is really weird..

Do you still have the OEM oil pick up tube?

Spun bearings don't cause oil starvation.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then, if it is a bearing, would the engine have starved of oil at some point prior to this issue? Knowing you, I am sure you are on top of your oil level and engine's health in general, so that is really weird..

Do you still have the OEM oil pick up tube?

Oil level was always perfect. However, yes it still has the original oil pickup. I checked it out last time I had the engine apart in Nov 2012 and it was fine at that time. I used ACL std bearings back then.

I guess I might find out more when I work on it the remainder of this week.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Sub'd.

Welcome to the club, man!

Order your replacement FU bolts now (from TiC) and they just might be here by the time you're ready to install the new motor!

Thanks. Yeah I'm sub'd to turkeylord's build thread, and I'm actually going to give these a try, I just got a pair of them.

UPDATE 7/2014: The exhaust cam bolts I referenced in the link above (dealer part 800112080) were actually too short. See pic. I ended up just reusing the stock bolts as they were in good shape this time.

exhaustCamBolts.jpg.41b6880160c931f3b67b367161fa03db.jpg

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Does anyone have a spare Intake Cam bolt I can have/borrow? There's a hardware store in town that carries a ton of hard to find nuts/bolts. If they don't carry it, I'm sure they can find it. Just like Turkeylord did with the "T" fitting, I can order a small batch of them and offer at cost + shipping.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Does anyone have a spare Intake Cam bolt I can have/borrow? There's a hardware store in town that carries a ton of hard to find nuts/bolts. If they don't carry it, I'm sure they can find it. Just like Turkeylord did with the "T" fitting, I can order a small batch of them and offer at cost + shipping.

Gonna start to be a vendor without paying for Vendor status now? :lol:

Oil level was always perfect. However, yes it still has the original oil pickup. I checked it out last time I had the engine apart in Nov 2012 and it was fine at that time. I used ACL std bearings back then.

I guess I might find out more when I work on it the remainder of this week.

So, this will be the third time you take your engine apart. IIRC, you did a valve job not too long ago right?

It's still seems weird to me that you are having this issue. All the info you provide would make you believe that the rings are OK (no cylinder roughness, no oil consumption, no rough idle, very clean a/f trims on your lv). And since you are monitoring constantly your engine's health with your app, I'd assume you have been free of significant detonation, or else you'd have picked it up right away.

So, I am like :confused: right now. Only thing that comes to mind is oil starvation..

Yup, 3rd time tearing into the engine!

1st: when i bought the car in 2012, it was a non-runner with a blown turbo and possible engine damage. tore it completely apart. engine was fine. freshened it up by putting in new ACL bearings in it, new rings, new gaskets, up, dn, bnr16g. i did note that the valve clearances were just in spec, but on the tight side of spec. I left them alone.

2nd: during last fall, i noticed that it was showing signs of too-tight valve clearances. so in the winter, I took it out again and adjusted the valves. I also took out the trans and replaced 5th gear as it was making noise.

3rd: today so far i have everything nearly ready to pull the engine and have a look.

I suspect a bearing "went bad" somehow, but maybe I'll find out more shortly.

Replace your oil pick up tube with a aftermarket one. Your may be cracked and open up when its hot.

Where do you live ? buy from one of the Mike's. I know a great machine shop...

East, Mike at www.AZPinstalls.com

West Mike at www.infamousperformance.net

There are other members here to you can use, underdog for one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I see. So you still have the original pistons then.

Keep us posted. Very curious on the outcome. How many miles does your car have btw?

yup, original pistons. 133K on car.

Got the engine out and it's on the stand. Starting to disassemble...

MaxCap and bonbon: after what you were saying about the oil pickup tube, I made a point to get to that first. Surprisingly the tube still looks fine - I can't see any cracks anyway.

Done working on it for today. I'll do some more tomorrow...

You're fast..

Keep us posted then. Oh, and I REALLY want your app. I've been using Torque pro for the past four years, but as you may know, it is a bit limited.. I've always wanted LV reports and live romraider parameters on my android phone/tablet.

Got the engine out and it's on the stand. Starting to disassemble...

MaxCap and bonbon: after what you were saying about the oil pickup tube, I made a point to get to that first. Surprisingly the tube still looks fine - I can't see any cracks anyway.

Done working on it for today. I'll do some more tomorrow...

It's a good investment, after seeing how the tube was welded/brazed together, I knew I wanted something durable. I'm using the Moroso pick up tube, and it's been working flawlessly. For around $90, it's cheap insurance.

My wife's balls are delicious.

It's a good investment, after seeing how the tube was welded/brazed together, I knew I wanted something durable. I'm using the Moroso pick up tube, and it's been working flawlessly. For around $90, it's cheap insurance.

It's a cheaper step than the KB, which is about $100 more. But with that, you get the satisfaction of having something super nice inside your engine that you'll never see again.

You're fast..

Keep us posted then. Oh, and I REALLY want your app. I've been using Torque pro for the past four years, but as you may know, it is a bit limited.. I've always wanted LV reports and live romraider parameters on my android phone/tablet.

Thanks, it goes a LOT faster the 3rd time!

Regarding the app/adapter, I'll see what I can during the summer after this shortblock project. It has real-time monitoring, logging, and LV.

Thanks - I might do the Moroso pickup after hearing this.

Thanks, it goes a LOT faster the 3rd time!

Regarding the app/adapter, I'll see what I can during the summer after this shortblock project. It has real-time monitoring, logging, and LV.

I believe you.

Sure, do what you have to do. But once you're done, let me know cause what you are using in terms of monitoring, logging, etc, is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I am going to do this soon, so that's why..

Yeah. I've been wanting to install mine for a while now. And now that Garmin finally came up with their own official navigation app for android just a couple of days ago (garmin viago), I really want to have that N7 installed now!

Archived