LegacyGT.com

Yay - I'm in the shortblock club!

So my "old" engine is all apart. The only thing wrong I could find so far is the main thrust bearing. It's got a lot of copper showing on both sides (the thrust surface). The other bearings, while not exactly pretty, weren't showing copper like this one. This must have been the source of my copper glitter in the oil. These were ACL bearings from 1.5 years ago. The mating crank surfaces don't look bad.

This being said, the carnage wasn't quite as bad as I expected. Probably could have reused the block, but with 133K miles on it a new shortblock is probably a good idea anyway :)

mainBearings.jpg.a3f7edec0320f05cdcf127acb30738e2.jpg

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now all I have to do is put these parts onto the new shortblock :eek:

partsEverywhere.thumb.jpg.0f657ba4617393a7f2c627c514292b77.jpg

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

They do look like they're being worn down. I've heard mix reviews with the ACL bearings, some say that there was a batch of bearings that wasn't up to spec and the ACL manufacture stated that they have fixed this problem. I hope they did, because I have ACL in mine for over a year now and hoping they are not from one of those bad batches.
My wife's balls are delicious.

So what do you think caused this?

Have you checked the pistons yet?

Pistons were fine (well, considering the miles they have on them). Ring lands appear fine.

The rod bearings looked pretty good. The wrist pins fit nicely. Everything else looks ok except for that one main thrust bearing that is down to the copper.

The only explanation I think is plausible is F1's...

They do look like they're being worn down. I've heard mix reviews with the ACL bearings, some say that there was a batch of bearings that wasn't up to spec and the ACL manufacture stated that they have fixed this problem. I hope they did, because I have ACL in mine for over a year now and hoping they are not from one of those bad batches.

I've heard that rumor a couple of times too. Argh :mad:

A few years ago, members had rebuilt their motor using ACL and within 5k - 10k miles they were spinning bearings. Wondering if this is where they got the "Spun Bearing Club" stickers.
My wife's balls are delicious.

A few years ago, members had rebuilt their motor using ACL and within 5k - 10k miles they were spinning bearings. Wondering if this is where they got the "Spun Bearing Club" stickers.

Had 6K miles on mine

It's going, thanks. My 3 days off from work last week helped me get everything torn apart, and got the heads back on. But since then I've only had a little time to work on it each day. I've got the engine nearly reassembled though. Time to put the timing belt on next...

assembling.jpg.21b54b5776b0c9de4e3ffc1d361a4ee9.jpg

Yes, I did inspect the old pistons. They looked fine, considering the miles they have on them (133K). Only thing wrong that I could find was the thrust bearing. New shortblock was probably overkill in hindsight, but with the miles the old one had, I'm happy with it.

Good to hear. I assume you inspected your valve clearance again, and it is still all good.

Well, you now have a spare shortblock!

Sorry for all the questions, but what else did you buy/replace for this build (apart from the full gasket kit and probably tb kit)? Just curious..

No problem, good questions!

After I torqued the heads on the new sb, I did check the valve clearances again. They were all actually within spec. However, a couple were ever-so-slightly on the tighter side of spec, so I ground the bucket nubs just a touch more on those.

What did I buy for this build? the shortblock itself, full gasket set, oil pump, later model oil pan so i can run a header (more clearance), a couple of misc hoses.

Didn't get a tb kit since the one I'm running still only has a few K miles on it.

i didn't. last time i disassembled them, inspected, replaced stem seals, adjusted valve clearances, and called it a day.

IT'S ALIVE!!! well sort of. Due to a pita TMIC/TB hose that I had to toss in the trash, I started it without the TMIC (unplugged the MAF connector) just to hear it run... Sounds good :)

Now to get a new TB hose...

thanks! can't wait to get the tb hose issue resolved (just ordered a new one) so I can drive it again.

also, I haven't forgotten about you regarding the app/adapter. I'll pm you some details in about a week or so.

also, I haven't forgotten about you regarding the app/adapter. I'll pm you some details in about a week or so.

^THAT, I cannot wait!!! :D

What happened with the TB hose? Did you have issues getting it to fit on the TB side?

I've had issues with the hose slipping off of the tb since i got my knockoff tmic. when putting it back on today i realized the hose was ripping and was junk at this point.

Archived