LegacyGT.com

Yay - I'm in the shortblock club!

Well just adding closure to this sb project. Running the original stock tmic until I receive the new tb hose. Car is running fine. No more knocking detected at idle :)
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! What tmic were you running before then?

Torque Solutions TMIC. For some reason, no matter what TB hose I try, it doesn't reach far enough to the driver's side to connect to the TMIC. If I stretch it to fit, it falls off the TB. It's just way off. I've tried a few different aftermarket hoses and the issue is always the same. I'll just run the stock TMIC until I can fabricate a solution. Ah well!

Who tuned your car btw?

I've handled the tuning. Although I admit I started with a nice mickeyd tune from the RR forums. Made a few tweaks to the WG tables to get it to work with my BNR 16G and EBCS. Then it was just incremental tweaks to get it the way I like it.

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

• 1 month later...
Yes, well knock when I would blip the throttle. I couldn't actually hear the knock, but the ECU did. It only happened when the oil temp was fully warmed up.

Then I started hearing not a knock, but rhythmic slight thump-thump-thump. At first it sounded like what an intake backfire sounds like... sort of a muffled pop.

I checked everywhere for loose heat shields, or loose anything. Everything seemed secure.

Then when I saw the glitter in the oil, I parked it and ordered a shortblock. I realize glitter in the oil can also come from the turbo, but with this knocking going on too, that's when I put it all together and got the new shortblock.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=186117&d=1403641136

On a side note, is this an app you are using on your phone? If yes, I want it NOW!! :)

Ah yes - that is a little one-off project I put together. It's an app that runs on my android phone, and it communicates via bluetooth to a small interface sitting on the k-line of the obd port. It's definitely not perfect, but very handy since it uses the SSM protocol to get all the good data we are accustomed to.

To those who followed this thread, guys check out what the OP has finally done:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-new-product-2005-2006-lgt-models-229709.html

Dudes, logging, lv, live parameters on-the-fly with just your frigging android phone! no laptop and vag-com or tactrix cable needed. I've tried it! Very fast refresh rate, just like romraider really. Very impressive. Good job OP.

That's awesome, I'm definitely going to look into BtSsm. My laptop keeps having software issues while connecting to the OBDII, this would be perfect.

Yeah man. He has done a great job. You can select the values you're used to log or view in RR. I really love the fact that you can pull an LV at anytime. Plus you can also press the rear defog switch to log just like in RR. very nice. Another thing I like is the fact that it has a knock detector and keeps info about all knocks perceived (depending on some threshold you can set). And you can send the info to your email or whatever for further investigation. Very cool.

xt2005bonbon, thanks for the kind words!

FYI - I have 3 adapters on-hand now. I'll have more in a week.

It almost sounds to simple. I like it!

^Yeah. It is indeed very simple to use. No special set up required. plug n play really. So cool that I don't have to carry around my laptop anymore.

xt2005bonbon, thanks for the kind words!

FYI - I have 3 adapters on-hand now. I'll have more in a week.

^You're welcome. How's your rebuilt engine btw?

How's your rebuilt engine btw?

Speaking of engines... have you seen any more misfires in that one cylinder?

Actually, since the last valve job (apr 2013), I've always noticed cylinder 2 misfiring at idle (counts between 1-10 and sometimes goes to ~16). But last saturday, counts went to 32! And I am getting knock events too when I push the car now. So I said, stuff this. I need to get to the bottom of it. I know it is not the coil. I need to swap injectors before I'll do a compression test. (spark plugs have 10k on them). Luckily I have another car to drive while I diagnose the issue.

• 1 year later...

Reviving your thread heiche ;)...

A quick question for you... IIRC, you bought a brand new OEM SB, popped the pistons out and adjusted the ring gaps. You never mentioned how you took out the pistons. Did you split the case halves, or were you able to take the pistons out without doing so?

Side note: used a borescope to check cylinder 2 walls last week on my 06, and she's got some scratches :(.

Reviving your thread heiche ;)...

A quick question for you... IIRC, you bought a brand new OEM SB, popped the pistons out and adjusted the ring gaps. You never mentioned how you took out the pistons. Did you split the case halves, or were you able to take the pistons out without doing so?

Side note: used a borescope to check cylinder 2 walls last week on my 06, and she's got some scratches :(.

Correct. No need to split the case. But it has to be done with the heads off. Each cylinder has an access plug (or cover) that you remove. Then you rotate the crank until you see the wrist pin line up with that open hole. Using needle-nose pliers, carefully remove the retainer clip, then pull the wrist pin straight out (you may need to fab a very simple tool for this - I can elaborate if you'd like). At this point, the piston is no longer attached! To pop a piston out of its bore, rotate the crank until the piston is flush with the top of the block, then turn the crank the other way just a little and back, usually the rod will catch part of the inside of the piston and push it above the deck. At this point simply grab the piston with your hands and pop it out.

Yeah, so I believe you exactly did this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KShxRZDbCC8]Easy way to pull Subaru pistons - YouTube[/ame]

How's the car btw? How many miles have you put on it? And how is your oil consumption?

yup, that's the method! The only difference with my experience was rather than using a long bar to push a wrist pin from the other side, i pulled the pin from it's own side using a bar that had a little hook at the end. Either way, that's the idea.

Car is running well, thanks! Oil consumption is not even noticeable. I usually end up changing the oil before it goes down. I'm actually considering selling my car :eek: - I've had it for several years, and feel like I may want to move onto another project - this one is running too well ;)

Car is running well, thanks! Oil consumption is not even noticeable. I usually end up changing the oil before it goes down.

That is great man. Good on you.

That's what's been crazy though with the 06, which now needs a new SB; she has not been burning oil at all and yet, she is 'scratched'..

I'm actually considering selling my car :eek: - I've had it for several years, and feel like I may want to move onto another project - this one is running too well ;)

Really? We've also been considering the same thing for the 05 ('family' car). With our 2nd boy who will arrive in any minute now, it is getting tight..

What are you considering?

That is great man. Good on you.

That's what's been crazy though with the 06, which now needs a new SB; she has not been burning oil at all and yet, she is 'scratched'..

surprising!

Really? We've also been considering the same thing for the 05 ('family' car). With our 2nd boy who will arrive in any minute now, it is getting tight..

What are you considering?

Not sure what the next move will be, but considering something totally old fashioned, possibly even with carbs :)

Archived