LegacyGT.com

Diesel for Legacy too?

dkodyl

Diesel power for Subaru?

02 September 2005 http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/images/null.gif

Subaru is developing a pair of diesel engines for the first time in the firm's history.

In true Subaru fashion, the new common rail turbo diesels will be based around the firm's trademark horizontally opposed 'boxer' design.

Designed in conjunction with Isuzu, the four cylinder engines will come in two guises, a 2.0 litre developing 111kW and a 135kW 2.2-litre.

Subaru originally commissioned Porsche's engineering expertise to design the new diesel units but the production units will be based around an in-house design. The move to develop these new engines is to help improve sales in diesel mad Europe. Expect to see these units to be powering the Impreza and Legacy models by the end of 2006.

Also on Subaru's agenda is the development of a Legacy petrol- electric hybrid.

With help from electronics giant NEC, the company is making claims that the battery technology used has a life of 15 years while offering a 30 per cent reduction in fuel economy from the car's turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine. The electric Legacy is due to go on sale in Japan in 2007.

US Market will never see them though, with the new emissions standards starting for 07 for diesels even the ones they sell here now dont pass..

They will be popular in the eurpoean market however wher diesel is signifigantly cheaper and widely adopted.

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Man that would be so sweet to see Legacy Turbo Diesels scooting around, hopefully they engineer the babies to pass the stricter emissions standars, but most likely they are engineering them to be more competitive in Europe.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

US Market will never see them though, with the new emissions standards starting for 07 for diesels even the ones they sell here now dont pass..

They will be popular in the eurpoean market however wher diesel is signifigantly cheaper and widely adopted.

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/

Actually these motors are designed to be run on the higher quality type Diesel that Europe already gets. The U.S.'s new Diesel Fuel standard that goes into effect on '07 will be the same quality as Europe's fuel and less polluting than our current Diesel.

I expect them to come to our shores...even moreso since the price explosion for U.S. Fuel.

Here in BMW land we are expecting our turbodiesels to show up when we switch over to the better quality low sulphur diesel. So do not be too surprised to see a diesel Subaru here at some point in time. If I can afford it I will buy a BMW diesel when they show up, not because I don't like Subaru, but because BMW has more experience building high output turbodiesels.

A 30% reduction in fuel economy? My mileage is too high- I want one of those so I can waste more gas :dm:

Diesel power for Subaru?

02 September 2005 http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/images/null.gif

Subaru is developing a pair of diesel engines for the first time in the firm's history.

In true Subaru fashion, the new common rail turbo diesels will be based around the firm's trademark horizontally opposed 'boxer' design.

Designed in conjunction with Isuzu, the four cylinder engines will come in two guises, a 2.0 litre developing 111kW and a 135kW 2.2-litre.

Subaru originally commissioned Porsche's engineering expertise to design the new diesel units but the production units will be based around an in-house design. The move to develop these new engines is to help improve sales in diesel mad Europe. Expect to see these units to be powering the Impreza and Legacy models by the end of 2006.

Also on Subaru's agenda is the development of a Legacy petrol- electric hybrid.

With help from electronics giant NEC, the company is making claims that the battery technology used has a life of 15 years while offering a 30 per cent reduction in fuel economy from the car's turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine. The electric Legacy is due to go on sale in Japan in 2007.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

the 330d is available over here - same block, different turbos, so you could make your own....

The diesels over here don't smell, most of them don' t emit particulates and they aren't much noisier at idle than a petrol. If the 2.2 comes in a Spec B I'll be first in line

Archived