LegacyGT.com

Should I trade my 2009 Honda Accord for a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon?

NO fix the oil consumption issue with the Honda. If by chance you like a car that can handle neglect as may be the case with the Honda you dont want an older Turbo Subaru ;)

Oil runs low on Honda = meh on a LGT = engine

NO fix the oil consumption issue with the Honda. If by chance you like a car that can handle neglect as may be the case with the Honda you dont want an older Turbo Subaru ;)

Oil runs low on Honda = meh on a LGT = engine

But I hate the Honda and love the Subaru

It's a dumb move.

The oil consumption might be as simple as the wrong oil. We had this happen on a car when a family member started taking their car to jiffy lube, don't get me started.

The honda is reliable. If the V6, faster then the Subaru.

The Subaru is about as much a PITA as a german car. You're most likely to buy a problem.

But hey, don't listen to me, let me sell you my 2005, stage 2 5EAT, rebuilt motor (forged internals), new turbo, boosting 16.5 psi. New tires, rotors, endlinks and a bunch of tasteful upgrades that keep it a sleeper. It'll get 24mpg on the freeway and I'd love to sell it to you. Buy myself an AWD Lexus or Acura for faster mor reliable driving.

• Moderators
But hey, don't listen to me, let me sell you my 2005, stage 2 5EAT, rebuilt motor (forged internals), new turbo, boosting 16.5 psi. New tires, rotors, endlinks and a bunch of tasteful upgrades that keep it a sleeper.

Please just go make a FS thread. Stop posting this junk all over the place.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Please just go make a FS thread. Stop posting this junk all over the place.

I'm making a point dude and I've only said it a few times in threads like these. You seem to miss the fact where I list all the crap I've had to do to it.

Lighten up.

It's a dumb move.

The oil consumption might be as simple as the wrong oil. We had this happen on a car when a family member started taking their car to jiffy lube, don't get me started.

The honda is reliable. If the V6, faster then the Subaru.

The Subaru is about as much a PITA as a german car. You're most likely to buy a problem.

But hey, don't listen to me, let me sell you my 2005, stage 2 5EAT, rebuilt motor (forged internals), new turbo, boosting 16.5 psi. New tires, rotors, endlinks and a bunch of tasteful upgrades that keep it a sleeper. It'll get 24mpg on the freeway and I'd love to sell it to you. Buy myself an AWD Lexus or Acura for faster mor reliable driving.

It's a 4 cylinder and it's not just the wrong oil

• Moderators
I'm making a point dude and I've only said it a few times in threads like these. You seem to miss the fact where I list all the crap I've had to do to it.

Lighten up.

It just doesn't make sense / doesn't apply. People looking at sub-$10k legacys (or blown motor cars) just aren't going to be interested in yours that's 3k miles away and newly built. And it doesn't scream "don't buy these cars" if you bring up all of the work that you've done on yours. I just don't get why you threw so much time / effort / money at your car but always berate it as one of the worst platforms out there.

These cars need care / maintenance, sure--but they can also be fixed with basic handtools in a garage (aside from the transmissions)--that's what makes them way different from some of the german offerings--ya know, along with all the rattles, creaks, and subpar parts here and there.

OP - have a compression / leak down test done on that wagon. If it checks out it's probably a pretty good deal with that kind of mileage

OP, I'll sell you my 05 5mt GT wagon.....Nah joking. That car is so much fun to drive, realible, get's good mpg, lots of HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For what its worth, thats really low mileage, one owner, and hard to come by. $10k from a dealer seems pretty low though. I've seen some with twice the miles go for more.

It will definitely be way more fun to drive and will have much more practicality to boot. You just need to ask yourself if the those upsides are worth the drop in gas mileage and the increase in maintenance/running costs. I'd say if you have maintenance records and you do a compression check that passes and are ready to take on some risk, its worth a swap. Just be ready if things go wrong. As they sat gotta pay to play

not to mention that most of these care consume oil, so you may get it and be right back where you started :)

I can tell you my wagon is significantly faster then a v6 accord. Even stock it was a quicker car. The price on that wagon is really attractive. That would be a $13.5k car here in Washington. As many have said these cars need a lot of attention. They can be very reliable when maintained with care.

The most important part about buying a used LGT or any ej turbo Subaru is a good pre buy inspection. Things to look for. Wheel bearings,cv axles, pull the downpipe inspect the turbo for excessive shaft play, service records (if available), the stock Uppipe has a catalytic converter in it you will want to replace this with a catless version,make sure the transmission shifts smoothly and is not overly noisy(a little noise is ok excessive whine is not),and finally if you can a compression and leak down test. The numbers should be 130+ on all cylinders with less then 10% leak down.

It just doesn't make sense / doesn't apply. People looking at sub-$10k legacys (or blown motor cars) just aren't going to be interested in yours that's 3k miles away and newly built. And it doesn't scream "don't buy these cars" if you bring up all of the work that you've done on yours. I just don't get why you threw so much time / effort / money at your car but always berate it as one of the worst platforms out there.

These cars need care / maintenance, sure--but they can also be fixed with basic handtools in a garage (aside from the transmissions)--that's what makes them way different from some of the german offerings--ya know, along with all the rattles, creaks, and subpar parts here and there.

OP - have a compression / leak down test done on that wagon. If it checks out it's probably a pretty good deal with that kind of mileage

It made the most financial sense at the time and there wasn't a replacement that excited me. I don't dump a failing motor on anyone, even greedy dealership.

That car would bring 50% more in this area if it's really $10k

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

Maybe it doesn't scream it to you. Buy how many kids buying a $10k car are really willing to drop $6-8k again into the car to get it running properly? The list of things I've done on this one car exceed the list of things we've done to all of our other cars combined over the last 25 years.

Furthermore most of these folks are not researching the problems they are thinking of subaru's from the 90's.

My point stands, you took it the wrong way and opted to be firm about it.

As for the German reference. Yeah, I only need 3 tools to change the diff because Subi used all different torx bits. Or how about changing spark plugs. Makes changing the back of a v6's plugs on the TL like a walk in the park.

Keep on looking young man. Have patience and knowledge on what you're buying. You'll know when the right one comes along. meanwhile read and apprehend the forum. Lots of info. Buying a car of your liking is always fun. Have fun shopping and welcome...

• Moderators
Maybe it doesn't scream it to you. Buy how many kids buying a $10k car are really willing to drop $6-8k again into the car to get it running properly? The list of things I've done on this one car exceed the list of things we've done to all of our other cars combined over the last 25 years.

Furthermore most of these folks are not researching the problems they are thinking of subaru's from the 90's.

My point stands, you took it the wrong way and opted to be firm about it.

As for the German reference. Yeah, I only need 3 tools to change the diff because Subi used all different torx bits. Or how about changing spark plugs. Makes changing the back of a v6's plugs on the TL like a walk in the park.

Fundamental differences, that's all--I think these things are good cars and you seem to think they are all waiting to break. I don't encourage ANYONE to buy a used turbo subaru who doesn't have some halfway decent tools and a desire to learn. And if you don't get a compression / leakdown as a prepurchase inspection, well--God help you, lol.

They are maintenance intensive and love to be cared for. If you are into that (simple, preventative maintenance for the most part) they're awesome cars, IMO.

Archived