LegacyGT.com

Should I trade my 2009 Honda Accord for a 2005 Legacy GT Wagon?

My wagon is over 10 years old now. Just waiting for the next small thing to wear out, but it's still so much fun to drive. Did the 60-100mph on the highway coming into work this AM = Big :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Also, '05s are really all quickly becoming 10 year old cars. No matter how nice one might seem, it's going to be 10 years old and stuff is going to break. Be ready.

I just realized I forgot my car's 10th birthday! That happened this month. I rewarded it with... a new clutch, belts, and a coolant change!

Most of the wear items can be vinyl wrapped or replaced with performance parts :lol:

I have an 08 Accord I4 and a stage 2 07 LGT, the oil consumption is a pain on the accord but it's all over the forums as a engine defect. I switched from synthetic to conventional and change my oil 3k miles or so and it is just below the half mark on the dipstick. My suggestion would have been to keep them both. I'm lucky so far and do not have oil consumption issues with my LGT.

I drive the accord 4 days a week, then get into the LGT on Friday's and it feels like the first time all over again ;).

1/2 qt in 3k miles isn't a problem. That's 1 qt oil in 6k. It's a problem at 1qt per 1k

People really blow things out of proportion.

IMO a car right out of the factory should not consume oil. Last thing you expect when you buy a car with 0 miles is to have to keep a quart in the trunk.

IMO a car right out of the factory should not consume oil. Last thing you expect when you buy a car with 0 miles is to have to keep a quart in the trunk.

That's your opinion, many cars 'from the factory' consume oil. But by no means is 1qt per 6k a problem, and to make it sound like one suggests you're a pretty new car owner or ill informed on how a motor works.

Used to be you always carried oil, a functioning spare tire and some basic tools. Now people hope to only need to top up with gas.

Checking your oil every 2-3k is perfectly normal, and should be something you always do. It's how you can ensure you don't buy a new motor.

But hey, let's complain about 1qt per 6k. Car will go 250-350k like that and the motor will likely out last every other component on the car. Dam Honda's. If only they could build more reliable cars.

First thing in your shoes is would be to switch to a 0-30 good syn. Will take away your problems I'm fairly certain of it.

That's your opinion, many cars 'from the factory' consume oil. But by no means is 1qt per 6k a problem, and to make it sound like one suggests you're a pretty new car owner or ill informed on how a motor works.

Used to be you always carried oil, a functioning spare tire and some basic tools. Now people hope to only need to top up with gas.

Checking your oil every 2-3k is perfectly normal, and should be something you always do. It's how you can ensure you don't buy a new motor.

But hey, let's complain about 1qt per 6k. Car will go 250-350k like that and the motor will likely out last every other component on the car. Dam Honda's. If only they could build more reliable cars.

First thing in your shoes is would be to switch to a 0-30 good syn. Will take away your problems I'm fairly certain of it.

Make asumptions as you wish but there is a known oil consumption defect with this model accord I4. Anyways this is legacygt.com no need to focus on my accord ;). Good day sir.

Make asumptions as you wish but there is a known oil consumption defect with this model accord I4. Anyways this is legacygt.com no need to focus on my accord ;). Good day sir.

FYI I consume a tad bit more oil then that on this LGT. Lets get upset :lol:

What do you mean? The car should stop when I want it to stop and I put my foot down. Things like actually pressing the correct pedal is just semantics.

The brakes always over powered the motor. The recall was the result of trumped up driver error. If you've ever driven a Prius not only can you slip the car into N while driving you can mash the brakes and throttle; car still stops. Consumers are dumb.

Toyota paid a heavy price for the dumb US consumer. Honda is about to pay a price for a moronic complaint about small amounts of oil consumed on 5w20 oil. Switch to 5w30 and monitor your oil. Common sense. You appear not to understand that. Sorry bro. Please don't respond until you are in control of the facts and not what CNN report please.

Sorry forgot the /s tag.... read my last sentence again "things like actually pressing the correct pedal is just semantics"

Totally missed that you were being sacrastic. It's been that week for me. Sorry bro :spin:

Honda mechanic here. The oil consumption issue is caused by the low tension piston rings. It is ongoing. A lot of the 4 cyl k series engine have been getting re ringed but I dont think updated rings are used or ever been released.

Archived