LegacyGT.com

Cylinder Head Options

So I'm planning my engine build, forged pistons and rods, not sure about specifics yet and sti nitrated crank, simple enough. But then I started researching cylinder heads and came up short. My main concern is I want heads that can handle 7500-8k rpms reliably(will last 50k+ miles of abuse before next rebuild).

Can I swap to sti heads or other ej heads easily or do I need to rebuild with better cams? If cams any recommendations. I'm looking to make around 500hp+.

In the powertrain forum or this one check out the couple of threads about the higher HP builds. Some head info there.

If I were you, I contact Mike at AZPinstalls.com he's close to you and most likely can answer all your questions in one email.

Oh yea buy your cams and valve kit from him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The stock heads, rebuilt, can handle that RPM level. I doubt you'd be maxing out your cams, but you could get a custom grind from Delta, if you wish -- It's reasonably cheap. (~$200)

PnP, flow test, and rebuild your heads with a Brian Crower setup and you should be OK 'til about 8. Why do you want to be that far out, though? What's the point? Without going TT, you're not gonna have a solid HP or TQ from 3-6, and after six and a half, most everything's gonna drop off.

Yes, you can do STi heads, and I know a guy who has a set of W25s, freshly rebuilt, that he'd like to unload. To make use of the dual AVCS, though, you'll need the STi electronics, which I think means you'd basically end up doing an STi swap.

Over in NASIOC there is a good thread about head porting and such.

Before I had my buddies machine port my heads, I sent them the link. He told me that's what they have been doing to these heads for years. You can't just go in there and open things up.

I think the thread was from Maxwell Performance.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators

To be clear, are you looking for 500bhp or 500 awhp? Pretty huge difference. For 500bhp I think stock heads would be fine...500awhp, maybe not so much.

I believe that STi B25 heads (04-06?) are essentially the same and wouldn't be an upgrade for you.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yea my 05 lgt has the b25 Sti heads but I went with the d25 heads on my new set up for a nice bump in compression. Also it's a more spherical chamber and redesigned coolant passages for more coolant flow. I did big PnP, valves, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, bronze manganese valve guides, gsc valve stem seals, 5 angle valve job and gsc s2 cams. Here's a link comparing b25, d25 and other heads. Post #5 at the end shows you the best differences between the b25 and d25. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856856

Yea my 05 lgt has the b25 Sti heads but I went with the d25 heads on my new set up for a nice bump in compression. Also it's a more spherical chamber and redesigned coolant passages for more coolant flow. I did big PnP, valves, dual valve springs, titanium retainers, bronze manganese valve guides, gsc valve stem seals, 5 angle valve job and gsc s2 cams. Here's a link comparing b25, d25 and other heads. Post #5 at the end shows you the best differences between the b25 and d25. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1856856

How much did it cost you to rebuild your heads?

I'm going to weigh my options, the Cosworths are f'n awesome... real simple solution ready to go, $5500. I'm going to see if I can rebuild my heads to something of similar spec for 3k-4k.

"Key Features:

All new OE Castings

Enlarged intake and exhaust ports

Large diameter stainless steel intake valves

Large diameter inconel exhaust valves

Hi-rev, dual valve springs

Titanium retainers

Hardened steel spring platforms

Reshaped combustion chamber on most applications

Flow bench proven design

Dynamometer tested

Machined Cosworth logo

Precision multi-angle valve job

Pre-assembled, ready to install

Machined port bore finish

Knife edge port divider"

So I will need: springs, valves, retainers, seals, guides, cams, and pnp, am I missing anything? Seems like Ferrea is the way to go, other options are Supertech and GSC.... more homework.

Ferrea Springs - $365

Ferrea Retainers - $265

Ferrea Spring Seat Locator - $115

Ferrea Seals - $40

Ferrea Guides - $130

Ferrea Valves - $615

$1530

GSC S2 Cams - $850

$2380

Hmmm..... guess i'll be doing more research on Supertech and GSC!

Probably will need new buckets, maybe not.

ST=Supertech

ST Dual Spring & Titanium Retainer Kit - $340

ST Black Nitrated Intake & Iconel Exhaust Valves - $325

ST Seals - $10

ST Guides - $90

ST Cam Followers/buckets - $360

$1125

w/o buckets - $765

GSC S2 Cams - $850

$1975

w/o buckets - $1615

GSC is pretty much same price, so I guess the new question is the beehive better than the dual spring?

GSC Beehive Spring & Titanium Retainer Set - $370

GSC Intake & Super Alloy Exhaust Valves - $307

GSC Seals - $13

GSC Guides - $80

ST Cam Followers/buckets - $360

$1130

w/o buckets - $770

GSC S2 Cams - $850

$1980

w/o buckets - $1620

Headwork/Rebuild: ~$400 (most machine shops)

PnP: Another ~$600 (?)

Springs and Retainers $250

Valves~$250

Seals~$15

~ $1500

Better upgraded options:

Cosworth Springs ~$300

"Beehive" springs ~$375

Then there's the Crank you wanted, though, I think you can get it from Heuberger for about $275. (I think that's the one I saw on their Amazon listing this week.)

You may also want a couple of these cam timing adjusters, too.

I would also opt for these, if you think you wanna wrap out above 7500:

Cosworth Head Gaskets

All of these parts should be able to handle what you'd like to do, and with those timing adjusters and a good tune, you should be able to have better control of your powerband, especially since you'll be adding nearly 2000rpm to what you'd normally be able to run.

Cosworth.... damnit more homework.. also forgot about these guys

http://www.headgamesmotorworks.com/

http://www.headgamesmotorworks.com/app/download/756312029/Subaru+EJ20-25.pdf

They have some pretty good packages:

subi port comp pack.

(800-1200whp):

port, install bronze guides, valve job, lash, mill, assemble with Ferrea

dual spring-kit and comp plus stock size valves

$2,899

subi port gsc pack.

(600-800whp)

port, install bronze guides, valve job, lash, mill, assemble with GSC

beehive spring-kit, Ferrea 6000 series stock size valves and locks

$2,299

subi pocket port pack.

(400-600whp)

install bronze guides, valve job, lash, pocket port, mill, assemble with

GSC beehive spring-kit, Ferrea 6000 series stock size valves and locks

$1,700

Guess I'll go the single beehive valve spring route, either Cosworth or GSC because they are lighter, less mass, and less force on valve train, buuut I think I need more research.

Anyone know if the GSC S2 Cams can be tuned with stock ecu?

Anyone know what crankshaft came in 05 lgt? 12200AA330 ?

Trying to figure out why I would buy a new crankshaft if the one in my engine is already forged or good enough. But that's another day.

Hmmmm, I may be able to get away with stock ecu, I sent an email to GSC, going to see what they say. Aftermarket ems is where things get out of control, anti-lag, launch control..... oh god. The GSC S2 has power from 3500-8.5k... thats f'n amazing.

Archived