**official random thoughts thread**

s2baru

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So after driving my loaner 2009 Impala for the past week, I cannot describe how badly I miss my Legacy and how nothing on this earth would cause me to drive such a vehicle under my own power. Can't wait to get my car back next week!

I remember seeing a review for that generation Impala a while back when I was looking into the new (current) ones. Basically said that the older one was a great purchase for a rental fleet, because you wouldn't have to worry about whether they'd get returned.

I had a rental Impala for a stretch a year or two back. So much body roll...

My dad had a company car, a 1984 Impala, bare bones, but it had the cop car suspension and wheels/tires. After the company was done with it, he bought it from them and I did a lot of my early driving in it. The thing handled great for the tank that it was and was pretty much bullet proof. The front and rear sway bars were massive.

Just like this one except he never put white walled tires on it.

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20150114&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=Dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=66.234.199.109&pvaid=68d9bfd81b0546f0a8671ae48c59c340&dt=Desktop&sid=1830193568.1649566479514.1421260651&vid=1830193568.1649566479514.1421250374.5&fcoi=4&fcop=results-bottom&fct.uid=cdb922297963436e8d985d9041ca3d37&fpid=2&en=0WEFU%2FZhSoTF%2FFm%2BpLeuVl4UPZzISdzyg%2BaGYj7N8ISb7M1aTnzzgA%3D%3D&du=http%3A%2F%2Fcarphotos3.cardomain.com%2Fimages%2F0015%2F75%2F45%2F15625754_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fcarphotos3.cardomain.com%2Fimages%2F0015%2F75%2F45%2F15625754_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1&ap=9&coi=772&cop=main-title&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&ep=9&mid=9&hash=4F5DB6933480B2DA576118BBF81BED3D

My dad had a company car, a 1984 Impala, bare bones, but it had the cop car suspension and wheels/tires. After the company was done with it, he bought it from them and I did a lot of my early driving in it. The thing handled great for the tank that it was and was pretty much bullet proof. The front and rear sway bars were massive.

Just like this one except he never put white walled tires on it.

http://ccs.dogpile.com/ClickHandler.ashx?ld=20150114&app=1&c=info.dogpl&s=Dogpile&rc=info.dogpl&dc=&euip=66.234.199.109&pvaid=68d9bfd81b0546f0a8671ae48c59c340&dt=Desktop&sid=1830193568.1649566479514.1421260651&vid=1830193568.1649566479514.1421250374.5&fcoi=4&fcop=results-bottom&fct.uid=cdb922297963436e8d985d9041ca3d37&fpid=2&en=0WEFU%2FZhSoTF%2FFm%2BpLeuVl4UPZzISdzyg%2BaGYj7N8ISb7M1aTnzzgA%3D%3D&du=http%3A%2F%2Fcarphotos3.cardomain.com%2Fimages%2F0015%2F75%2F45%2F15625754_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fcarphotos3.cardomain.com%2Fimages%2F0015%2F75%2F45%2F15625754_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1&ap=9&coi=772&cop=main-title&npp=9&p=0&pp=0&ep=9&mid=9&hash=4F5DB6933480B2DA576118BBF81BED3D

I would much prefer that to its successor.

Edited by jackal8788

sounds like loads of fun. i always loved the look of those boxed out 80's cars. I don't know why. it always make me think of a blacked out cutlass and how they look like they could just surprise you at any moment. tho they are pretty slow stock I saw a worked one as a kid and will never forget him owning my dad from a stoplight in his little acura ledgend

http://www.powernationtv.com/post/grandma-pranked-into-going-0-60-in-3-seconds-without-warning-is-this-like-a-prius/

If you guys haven't seen this video, the guy's name is Duskin and is from Boise. Mad respect for his goals and entrepreneurship (if that's even a word), awesome attitude as well and it reflects with the video.... Has numerous other toys besides this. Working on a yellow widebody early M3 with 700ish HP as well. That sure is some eye candy. Figured I'd share...

Has anyone had any luck with claiming sand damage for their insurance? I got caught in a sand storm while driving thru Bakersfield. All of my forward facing lights and windows are all pitted. It peeled the paint off my Hellas and pitted my new carbon grill, and the bumper looks like it got blasted pretty bad. I put a comprehensive claim in for it. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck doing this.

Has anyone had any luck with claiming sand damage for their insurance? I got caught in a sand storm while driving thru Bakersfield. All of my forward facing lights and windows are all pitted. It peeled the paint off my Hellas and pitted my new carbon grill, and the bumper looks like it got blasted pretty bad. I put a comprehensive claim in for it. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had any luck doing this.

I can't say about sand, but I did have luck claiming damage from stone/salt chips. I was behind a salt truck a few years with my Mazdaspeed6 and kind of got wedged behind the truck by traffic in the other lanes. By the time I dropped back, the damage was done. My insurance took care of it less the deductible.

I would think that my case is less convincing than your sand damage because what's to say that I didn't just have lots of little chips obtained over time? Your damage is probably going to be more uniform and appear to be the result of one specific event where mine could have looked like common road damage that occurred over months or years.

Just my $0.02 and it doesn't cost anything to ask your insurance (that will come later in the premiums)! :)

I just did one a couple months ago on my WRX, waiting until after winter for my GT. With my insurance I can claim it once a year per vehicle, they just take the deductible out of the total amount which gets paid directly to me as long as it's under a certain amount. I think I've claimed it a total of 5 times on various vehicles in the last 6 years. My insurance company is very good about it. I have USAA for insurance.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it gets repaired. I didn't think comprehensive claims would raise my premium. At least I hope not. I found the weather reports for that area on the same day and it was so bad it shut down the freeway after I had went thru it. I think that will help my case.

Thanks for the input. I'm hoping it gets repaired. I didn't think comprehensive claims would raise my premium. At least I hope not. I found the weather reports for that area on the same day and it was so bad it shut down the freeway after I had went thru it. I think that will help my case.

It all really just depends on the adjuster that comes to look at it. The one when they replaced my headlights the guy didn't even come look at it, just asked me what I wanted covered and he wrote it all up. Full paint job, new headlights and windshield =D

I have found the thing I miss most about my GT when I drive my driving my WRX and the thing I miss most about my rex when I drive my leggy. It hasn't happened yet thank god, but on more than one occasion while getting on the highway in my wrx for just a moment I forget it's a 5spd... again luckily I haven't actually thrown it in reverse. The thing I miss about driving the rex though is all the other WRXs waving as you pass each other. I always wave at them when I'm in my GT just out of respect but only 3 times have I gotten a wave back. And I'm not entirely convinced they realized it was a GT at first lol. Just wondering if anyone else does out has experienced this...