LegacyGT.com

Legacy in new Consumer Reports

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I drive the car like Tony Stewart is about to trade paint with me and I get 16 in mixed driving. :D

Haha, that'll do it for you. Its kind of interesting to see the numbers considering the NA enigine isnt much better in fuel consumption.

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Sheesh! Consumer reports and cars, well, let's just say I've questioned their judgements on occasion, um, frequently.

I never see less than 21 mpg, even when I drive hard. Then again, I drift in neutral going downhill and into braking zones.

Sheesh! Consumer reports and cars, well, let's just say I've questioned their judgements on occasion, um, frequently.

Let's not forget much of their research comes from owners' reports of the vehicles they "test". While some of the information is reliable, as with anything, take it with a grain of salt - especially when some of the "results" are driven by an American public that has become incredibly sensitive to gas prices.

Keep in mind the LGT was put in the same class as the Prius and Civic Hybrid. It's also not exactly your typical "Family Sedan".

Here is the real scoop on the "advantage" of these fuel-camels. The perceived advantage is next to nil for the environment and the owner.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9844&page_number=1

It's a great article, even though the rest of the magazine is the usual Honda/Acura - Audi suckup rag (I mean come on, the RSX beats out the SRT4??!!).

I like my gas mileage fine, thanks. :cool:

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

I saw the lgt in consumer reports too, and though I don't have it with me to remember exactly, I think they only tested the limited wagon auto and rated it as "average" or something like that for acceleration because they're 0-60 time was sloppy... I don't know about those guys...

Let's not forget much of their research comes from owners' reports of the vehicles they "test". While some of the information is reliable, as with anything, take it with a grain of salt - especially when some of the "results" are driven by an American public that has become incredibly sensitive to gas prices.

The information Consumer Reports gathers from it's readers has nothing to do with their actual testing of cars, including gas mileage.

Readers are asked a series of questions if they had problems in various major areas (i.e. electrical, transmission, engine, etc.) they felt was serious because of safety, reliability or expense. Those statistics are compiled to establish anticipated reliability data on cars that we can use to estimate if a vehicle is likely to be reliable or a lemon.

Testing, driving and subjective results published are from their own team of test engineers.

Remember, when Consumer Reports compiles their mileage estimate for combined driving they drive a specific course of limited total mileage. This probably tends to yield lower MPG averages. Lets face it, we tend to check our mileage on trips, many times on trips of several hundred mlles of interstate driving, Naturally this will be quite a bit better than CU's reported MPG.

Here is the real scoop on the "advantage" of these fuel-camels. The perceived advantage is next to nil for the environment and the owner.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9844&page_number=1

It's a great article, even though the rest of the magazine is the usual Honda/Acura - Audi suckup rag (I mean come on, the RSX beats out the SRT4??!!).

I like my gas mileage fine, thanks. :cool:

snip

Ahhhh, owners reports, . . . . ahhhh ssooooooo!!!!! /sergeant schultz mode off/

LOL not bustin' on you, raggin on CR. Cracks me up :lol:

Oh, and btw, SRT-4 vs RSX - yea the SRT beats it in a straight line, and ONLY in a straight line. Maybe you dig the styling but there is no comparison between these cars. It would be like comparing the taurus to the hyundia . . . um, let's just not go there :D

Seriously though, maybe you dig the styling and don't care about driving dynamics as much, but Honda pwns the dodge. Then, start to think about putting up with american build "quality" and how often the POS is going to be in the shop. NO THANKS.

I like the CD article, but man, considering reliability these days of the japs, germans, and US, it's getting to the point where I'm shying away from buying even german cars (which for the most part I love). I'm pretty sure my 98 A4 is my last audi (I've had good luck with it but others not), plust the new cars are the automotive equivalent of big fat-ass american chicks. I am not convinced that there is an american - made car (US automakers) that is a quality product.

Sorry to hijack the thread:redface:

Just read the article today. It was in the november 04 issue and they tested an auto gt. They compared it to the Acura RSX, Audi A4 and I think VW Passat. They actually gave the Legacy good remarks for the most spirited drive, good cup holders in the front but flimsy ones in the rear. They defenatly said average of 18mpg but again it was for the auto and not manual 5 speed. It was still rated by them to be a top pick but got a little downplayed since many people that subscribe to such magazines are worried about popular environmental issues such as gas mileage. I'd say I rather throw away an extra 400 dollars a year to have fun and enjoy my car.

Just read the article today. It was in the november 04 issue and they tested an auto gt. They compared it to the Acura RSX, Audi A4 and I think VW Passat. They actually gave the Legacy good remarks for the most spirited drive, good cup holders in the front but flimsy ones in the rear. They defenatly said average of 18mpg but again it was for the auto and not manual 5 speed. It was still rated by them to be a top pick but got a little downplayed since many people that subscribe to such magazines are worried about popular environmental issues such as gas mileage. I'd say I rather throw away an extra 400 dollars a year to have fun and enjoy my car.

Hmm...let me clarify, the link I put down, is too an article by Brock Yates in the Sept. 05' issue. The RSX thing was another article in the mag.

- "I've worked with better, but not many."

Ahhhh, owners reports, . . . . ahhhh ssooooooo!!!!! /sergeant schultz mode off/

LOL not bustin' on you, raggin on CR. Cracks me up :lol:

Oh, and btw, SRT-4 vs RSX - yea the SRT beats it in a straight line, and ONLY in a straight line. Maybe you dig the styling but there is no comparison between these cars. It would be like comparing the taurus to the hyundia . . . um, let's just not go there :D

Seriously though, maybe you dig the styling and don't care about driving dynamics as much, but Honda pwns the dodge. Then, start to think about putting up with american build "quality" and how often the POS is going to be in the shop. NO THANKS.

I like the CD article, but man, considering reliability these days of the japs, germans, and US, it's getting to the point where I'm shying away from buying even german cars (which for the most part I love). I'm pretty sure my 98 A4 is my last audi (I've had good luck with it but others not), plust the new cars are the automotive equivalent of big fat-ass american chicks. I am not convinced that there is an american - made car (US automakers) that is a quality product.

Sorry to hijack the thread:redface:

Yeah but most of the data I've seen in the past couple years is showing the Europeans are at the back of the pack in terms of reliability overall.

And from the experiences people I know have had with european cars, I can see it being true.

Yeah but most of the data I've seen in the past couple years is showing the Europeans are at the back of the pack in terms of reliability overall.

And from the experiences people I know have had with european cars, I can see it being true.

Yea, exactly the prob. At least with a german car, it looks good. I haven't seen a great looking american car in, god, since before baseball got the DH

:mad:

Archived