LegacyGT.com

Legacy in new Consumer Reports

I don't know that I trust Consumer Reports. I looked at the New Car edition on the stand this afternoon and they said the 2005 Legacy GT does the 1/4 mile in 16 seconds. Isn't that crawl ass slow even for a 2.5i??? I double checked and they said GT all over the place. They seriously rate the GT with a 16 second ET. That is total BS. They don't know what they are talking about.

for what it is worth.. I haven't reset my trip counter for the last 1200 miles and my mpg reading says 20.8 with nothing but city driving.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LMAO:lol: Must be one of them dudes who bought the MT but actually can't drive it so it's slower than the auto :). Seriously are these guys stopping at starbucks on their way to the quarter mile? I could get 1/4 in 16 seconds if I upshifted at 3000 rpm:rolleyes:

I don't know that I trust Consumer Reports. I looked at the New Car edition on the stand this afternoon and they said the 2005 Legacy GT does the 1/4 mile in 16 seconds. Isn't that crawl ass slow even for a 2.5i??? I double checked and they said GT all over the place. They seriously rate the GT with a 16 second ET. That is total BS. They don't know what they are talking about.

for what it is worth.. I haven't reset my trip counter for the last 1200 miles and my mpg reading says 20.8 with nothing but city driving.

I just read the article again and they said to get that kind of time you have to tap the brake twice just after launching and then turn on your left blinker and high beams at the same time that you disconnect your seatbelt. It works every time. :lol:

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

"driving it like you stole it" and 21mpg? :confused:

But it doesn't take long to hit the speed limit. You might redline it twice before you get to the arrest me zone, but unless you're running about every block and hitting a light, and flooring it at every chance, you can't possibly get truck-like mileage, can you?

Anyone doing hwy commuting will get pretty good mileage, assuming they are moving consistently :)

It does seem like there's a lot of variability among the different cars, though.

heh before I was commuting to college I was getting about 12, if I drove like a granny 16 and I would get excited about how good my milage has been. But now with some higway in there im getting like 23 I think the new wheels might have helped a bit too.

There is a big difference in mileage between my wife and I. She gets about 18-19, I'm around 22-23. I don't drive easy, I just don't speed up for red lights like she does. I accelerate quickly to speed, and cruise. She is always speeding up and slowing down. We have a Nissan Titan, and I get better mileage pulling a 5000lb. trailer then she does driving to work.

As far as CR, they treat cars as appliances. It's all about getting the "job" done, getting from a to b. Maytag could build a good car in their eyes. I find them very accurate as far as predicted reliability and the like. But I rarely agree with any of their overall conclusions. They also suck at track tesing, they drive as if they don't want granny to spilll her tea in the passenger seat.

Jason K.

Let's face it folks, the all-wheel drive function simply adds weight and gas mileage suffers as it does on any vehicle driving all four wheels. What's funny is that we're actually driving light trucks (Legacy sedan included), which Subaru fought to have them as classified by the government.

Let's face it folks, the all-wheel drive function simply adds weight and gas mileage suffers as it does on any vehicle driving all four wheels. What's funny is that we're actually driving light trucks (Legacy sedan included), which Subaru fought to have them as classified by the government.

i think ( according to a discussion on here the other day) - only the wagon is classified as a light truck.. - it has something to do with the rear seats being able to fold down and create a large, flat, storage area. -- so most wagons and minivans get the truck rating.

My favorite comment on the WRX from Consumer Reports is a con of the car, 'A voracious appetite for premium fuel' They achieved 20MPG I think with the WRX in their testing.

We average 24MPG on both the WRX and LGT Wagons both manual.

Gas mileage: romping on it:16-19mpg. Cruising at 65mph:26-8mpg. Stage 11. no's. The car does fine on the highway, and wails through the twisties. Love it.

They're saying gas is going to spike in the wake of the hurricane. Might have to delete the one remaining cat in the interest of fuel economy....

For us AT guys, just lay it easy on the accelerator and we're good. I actually observed the car's shifting pattern when stepping lightly into the accelerator and it shifted according to the manual's prescribed gear-to-speed ratio for best fuel economy.

From fill up to empty, I average 11.2 L/100km (or ~ 21.1 mpg). That's mixed city and highway driving, and I often can't let the opportunity pass to enlighten people at a redline who rev their motors at me that the hoodscoop isn't entirely ornamental. On a roadtrip once from Calgary to Vernon, I did 9.6 L/100km (~24.6mpg). So it's not as bad depending on one's driving.

So you folks with manuals are getting getting signifcantly better gas mileage than us 5EAT folks

I hit 28MPG on the highway with cruise on.

Plus the 5EAT > 5MT, read the rest of the sentence before hitting the reply button n00bz, with regards to the EPA's City Mileage. :)

Edit: I saw the 5EAT getting 20 mpg vs 19mpg for the 5MT in the city somewhere. Subaru.com and autos.msn.com say 19 for both.

<== 0wned

I keed I keeed

So you folks with manuals are getting getting signifcantly better gas mileage than us 5EAT folks

I don't know about that, but I am certainly getting better mileage than I am reading here. Coming back from lunch I noticed I was at 23.7 mpg, this is all in-city driving, with a readline for one of every maybe 15 or 20 shifts. On a 1000 mi trip I took in the car a month ago, I averaged 25.4 mpg, at, um, high speeds.:dm: No cruise control. I get significantly better mileage in hilly areas where I can drift downhill. Nothing is more fun than driving through the Tennesee mountains where you can literally drift out of gear downhill for as many as 4 miles in spots, and if you're lucky noone will be in your way and you can attack the winding road without the fun pedal. Not to mention the scenery. :) It's a fun challenge!

My biggest beef is that our cars SHOULD be getting better mileage than they are.

Afterall, it's light, sleek, and only has a 2.5L engine.

The newer Corvette's are getting 22mpg! And they have 3.5L more displacement, 150 more hp and tq, and twice the tire contact patch!

I just don't think SOA has this engine dialed in for true economy.

There is no replacement for displacement. :)

From people's comments, an aftermarket tune with leaner fuel maps sees at most 1-3 MPG gains during cruising till you hit boost or WOT and as expected you get lower mileage so they cancel each other out, unless you stick to stock boost levels but who does that!!!

I keed I keeed

I have the NA engine and the best I have seen was 27.0 mpg. I avg 26.4 mpg. Right now I am glad I don't have to use premium fuel. I just paid $2.99 gal for Reg Unleaded in NJ, Premium fuel was $3.45 gal. YIKES!!!

WTF?? NJ used to be 25 cents cheaper per gal than NY, now they are either even or a tad higher....this really sux!

There is a big difference in mileage between my wife and I. She gets about 18-19, I'm around 22-23. I don't drive easy, I just don't speed up for red lights like she does. I accelerate quickly to speed, and cruise. She is always speeding up and slowing down. We have a Nissan Titan, and I get better mileage pulling a 5000lb. trailer then she does driving to work.

Jason K.

I find the same thing between my wife and myself as well. I can get 29 mpg on my nearly all highway commute to work (40 miles each way) while she will typically get closer to 25. She doesn't drive any faster than I do but is constantly changing speeds...drives me crazy when I'm in the passenger seat.

Chris

Archived