LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Independent fog light mod.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you talking factory installed or dealer installed?

<- Factory installed. When I press the dashboard fog light with headlights on any anything except parking and High beams the fog light dashboard light comes on as well as the fogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking factory installed or dealer installed?

<- Factory installed. When I press the dashboard fog light with headlights on any anything except parking and High beams the fog light dashboard light comes on as well as the fogs.

Turn signal stalk switch = Factory installed on Limited models

Mirror control switch = Factory/Dealer accessory on other trim levels

DIY kit = mirror control switch

I'm asking for those with the mirror control fog light switch.

... so I am not sure where the green wire would go... you could always touch it to ground and see if your fogs turn on...

I tried this this morning, and yes, when I ground the Green/Red wire at Pin #3, the fog lights turn on as well as the dash indicator light.

Okay, so I think it's safe to assume that the fog light switch is a SPST that connects Pin #3 to Pin #7. If we could get a hold of these switches without having to buy the whole fog light kit, we could easily remove or cut the GR wire from Pin #3 on the harness and use the switch for some other purpose.

I found the part number for the Euro version that has the power folding side mirrors... 83061AJ000.

Perscitus' switch didn't have a part number on it (the part number is a sticker with a QR code on the back of the switch). If anyone with a mirror control with the fog light switch wants to take a look to see if they have the part # stick, it would be appreciated.

I found the part number for the Euro version that has the power folding side mirrors... 83061AJ000.

Perscitus' switch didn't have a part number on it (the part number is a sticker with a QR code on the back of the switch). If anyone with a mirror control with the fog light switch wants to take a look to see if they have the part # stick, it would be appreciated.

How hard is it to pull that out?

How hard is it to pull that out?

It's really easy if you know how to do it, but you wouldn't even have to. The part number sticker is on the back of the switch, so all you have to do is access the back of the panel the same as if you were installing a new flasher module.

Here's where the sticker should be...

image.jpg.afd699711c1caef73c7a26c4bcdcc49c.jpg

:iam: No sticker part # on back of my switch :spin:

Can you elaborate on how you tested the GR to ground?

• key on
  • position lights on
  • headlights on
  • fog light switch on

If you replace wire in pin 7 with direct ground what would be the result?

• fog lights on anytime dash switch is on
  • would dash fog indicator lamp work as expected

Haven't really thought these questions through (still on first cup of coffee).

P1010016.JPG.thumb.jpg.86304c86bf01c8350129e7a6ce24ade6.jpg

:iam: No sticker part # on back of my switch :spin:

Perscitus didn't have a sticker on his and says it never had one, so Subaru must be hiding something, lol.

Can you elaborate on how you tested the GR to ground?

• key on
  • position lights on
  • headlights on
  • fog light switch on

I unplugged the connector, pushed one end of a wire into the connector at #3, the other end of the wire directly to the bare metal frame in the dash. Then, with no key in the ignition and the steering stalk fog light switch set to off, I turned the headlights on and the fogs came on. They would go on and off as I would remove and replace the wire from pin #3. The dash light would go on & off as well.

If you replace wire in pin 7 with direct ground what would be the result?

Pin #7 is a direct ground. If you removed it completely, none of the mirror functions would work.

• fog lights on anytime dash switch is on
  • would dash fog indicator lamp work as expected

Haven't really thought these questions through (still on first cup of coffee).

You still need to bypass the BIU for this to work. Since we don't know where the GR wire goes, that may make it more difficult but not impossible. You would do the same mod as described here, but you would need a longer wire. Then, instead of connecting one end to the White wire at the BIU, you would connect it to the GR wire at the mirror switch.

• 1 year later...

Can you explain to me how to get to the mirror switch wires? This seems to be the dead end for the independent fog light switch.

You still need to bypass the BIU for this to work. Since we don't know where the GR wire goes, that may make it more difficult but not impossible. You would do the same mod as described here, but you would need a longer wire. Then, instead of connecting one end to the White wire at the BIU, you would connect it to the GR wire at the mirror switch.

• 2 years later...

Finally figured this out. Posted a write up here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fully-independent-fog-light-mod-267964.html

Kind of a hybrid between the OP's mod and nstg8r's idea. Just had to find the right wires and wire the trigger lead to a steady 12v ign source rather than the parking lights to achieve full independence.

Uh, okay. Thanks for everyones hard work, I didn't realize it was a problem people were trying to figure out.

Here's what I did. The kit I bought had an independent fog switch, fogs lights, inserts, and all the wiring. Check out my setup.

This allows me to control fogs with an oem looking switch, independently of what my headlights do for about $60.

Not free like this mod, but to get you started plus the benefit of independent you really can't beat this price. I'm almost positive these are the same style lamps that Subaru would use OEM. I'm mostly sure the included harness would plug into the OEM lamp connector. (They aren't chrome btw)

ZMAUTOPARTS Subaru Legacy Bumper Driving Fog Lights Lamps Chrome https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3LEFXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_M-ZBAbQSDXGW0

9d25b9aba6d4c4698b959652350610b3.jpg84c554a9188f950ff5694697b2315452.jpg4e5984a18277097be70fd7372306dfd6.jpg644cf58d5f0bf0872bb35205bb46775d.jpg30d8e202e439b4e61103575e4e3c4d50.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Archived