LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Independent fog light mod.

Even less sense now.

instead of the yellow cable in the first post going to the power from headlights/parking lights it went straight to the + of the battery. Would that not convert the button in the dash from an on off when lights are present to an on off button?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
instead of the yellow cable in the first post going to the power from headlights/parking lights it went straight to the + of the battery. Would that not convert the button in the dash from an on off when lights are present to an on off button?

If you did that, your fog lights would be on 24/7 and the switch would do nothing.

For what I think you're trying to do, you would have to cut the wire going to the switch from the BIU and wire it directly to the relay as discussed in posts #17-21 in this thread.

Why? If I make all the same leads as his, however instead of running the yellow cable to the parking light, I run it to the positive terminal of the battery why would I need to cut anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you did that, your fog lights would be on 24/7 and the switch would do nothing.

Why wouldn't it turn it off its a switch? If it turns the fogs off with the headlight relay why wouldn't do the same with a 12 volt source?

Why? If I make all the same leads as his, however instead of running the yellow cable to the parking light, I run it to the positive terminal of the battery why would I need to cut anything?

Because the OP bypassed the BIU and his stock switch in his mod. That's why he added his own switch to his dash to control the relay.

If you want to still use the stock switch, you would have to rewire that as well which means cutting the wire that runs between the switch and the BIU.

So disconnecting one cable from the relay renders the interior switch useless? I thought everything got reconnect except the "headlight" between the relay and the BIU. I'm obviously not an electrical engineer so this all has me confused as to why it has to be so difficult.

So disconnecting one cable from the relay renders the interior switch useless?

Yes

I thought everything got reconnect except the "headlight" between the relay and the BIU. I'm obviously not an electrical engineer so this all has me confused as to why it has to be so difficult.

This is how the fog light relay is wired up from the factory:

Pin 1: Battery

Pin 2: Battery

Pin 3: Fog Lights (via fuses)

Pin 4: BIU

What you're saying is, disconnect Pin 2 from the battery and then reconnect it to the battery with a new wire. Obviously, that does nothing.

The reason the OP's mod works, is because he disconnects Pin 4 from the BIU and grounds it directly to chassis. That allows him to disconnect Pin 2 and draw power from another source to trigger the relay. If he didn't do that, the fogs would be on 24/7.

I'm on my way to work now, so I wont be able to follow up on this thread until later tonight.

Ahh, thanks. He had that simply labeled ground in his picture and it just appeared to me he was changing the grounding location.

I'm just trying not to cut factory wiring and trying not to run new wires into the cabin

Ahh, thanks. He had that simply labeled ground in his picture and it just appeared to me he was changing the grounding location.

I'm just trying not to cut factory wiring and trying not to run new wires into the cabin

The thing is, it should be easier to do with the add-on fogs instead of the factory fogs since the fog switch is much more accessible (part of the mirror switch). I can't find a wiring schematic for it, though. If I can figure out which pins are which, then it's just an easy re-wring job without involving the BIU's connectors.

I was able to figure out all but four of the 16 pins on the mirror switch. I'm gonna assume that 2 are for the fog light switch and the other 2 illuminate the switch when parking lights are on. The only way to figure those out, though, would be for me to get my hands on one. If they were available by themselves without the whole fog light kit, I would have purchased one already.

• 1 month later...
I think you could also just bypass the BIU and use the foglight switch to provide ground to the foglight relay - this way you would even have the little light on the dash work (but only when the headlights are on) - you could grab the lead for the switch at the steering column, then run it through to the engine compartment and grab the lead from the BIU under the main fuse box.

Looks like someone has done something simliar with success.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fog-light-mod-226270.html?t=226270

I was able to figure out all but four of the 16 pins on the mirror switch. I'm gonna assume that 2 are for the fog light switch and the other 2 illuminate the switch when parking lights are on. The only way to figure those out, though, would be for me to get my hands on one. If they were available by themselves without the whole fog light kit, I would have purchased one already.

I'm contemplating pulling the (fog light switch / remote control mirror) dash panel (again) to identify the four (4) pins/wires you mentioned. Although, working under the hood (on the relay) as opposed to under the dash is starting to sound way more appealing. Pulling power off the position lights for the coil side of the relay, and a constant ground would accomplish my goal for controlling the fogs. As long as the turn signal headlight switch was in any of the on positions, the fogs would be on. When you turn the car off, or when you turn off the headlight switch off, all lights will be off.

Are the four (4) unidentified pins: 4, 13, 15, 16 of the i6 connector?

I'm contemplating pulling the (fog light switch / remote control mirror) dash panel (again) to identify the four (4) pins/wires you mentioned. Although, working under the hood (on the relay) as opposed to under the dash is starting to sound way more appealing. Pulling power off the position lights for the coil side of the relay, and a constant ground would accomplish my goal for controlling the fogs. As long as the turn signal headlight switch was in any of the on positions, the fogs would be on. When you turn the car off, or when you turn off the headlight switch off, all lights will be off.

Are the four (4) unidentified pins: 4, 13, 15, 16 of the i6 connector?

You know, I lost the piece of paper I had it all written down on. I'll have to go through the schematics again when I get a chance.

If you do pull the switch, see if you can't get the part number off of it.

This is what I get for I6 - I think there are 6 unused pins - 4 of which would be for the retractor motors if we had that sort of thing in USDM cars (list is terminal number, color, function)

1 Y ACC (FB-19)

2 GY LH mirror retractor motor

3 LR RH mirror retractor motor

5 W LH mirror retractor motor

6 BW RH mirror retractor motor

7 B ground

8 LW LH mirror left/right

9 RW RH mirror Left/right

10 LY LH mirror up/down

11 RY RH mirror up/down

12 RL RH mirror common

14 RL LH mirror common

15 V remote control mirror switch backlight

16 BW remote control mirror switch backlight

I figured there were 2 pins for illumination, I just couldn't find which 2. So now the question becomes, are pins 4 & 13 for the fog light switch, or does the switch re-use pins 2, 3, 5 or 6 since we don't have the retractable mirror option?

• 3 weeks later...
So were there any solution to a fully independent foglight?

See post #9 on the first page....that is TRULY independent control:cool: Add the appropriate fuse and away you go. If you want to make it work with the OEM switch....jump in and help yourself....don't blow the BIU:eek:

I saw that thread but I don't have factory installed Fogs, I installed the OE one myself and I'm afraid I might run into the same issue as Bob.

Next time I meet up with Perscitus, I'm gonna see how his mirror switch is wired.

• 4 weeks later...
This is what I get for I6 - I think there are 6 unused pins - 4 of which would be for the retractor motors if we had that sort of thing in USDM cars (list is terminal number, color, function)

1 Y ACC (FB-19)

2 GY LH mirror retractor motor

3 LR RH mirror retractor motor

5 W LH mirror retractor motor

6 BW RH mirror retractor motor

7 B ground

8 LW LH mirror left/right

9 RW RH mirror Left/right

10 LY LH mirror up/down

11 RY RH mirror up/down

12 RL RH mirror common

14 RL LH mirror common

I was finally able to inspect Perscitus' mirror control w/fog light switch and here is what I found:

A. There was no part number on it, so no way to search for or cross-reference it;

B. It has pins & wires as described above at 1, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 & 16 as would be expected;

C. At pin #3, instead of a Blue wire w/Red stripe (LR), it has a Green wire w/Red stripe (GR);

D. That must be the wire that goes to the BIU to activate the fog light relay, BUT;

E. I checked my mirror control w/o fog switch and it has the same GR wire at pin #3.

F. I was gonna try the fog light switch in my car to see what happens, but I chickened out.

G. So yeah, I have no idea where exactly that GR wire goes.

That is weird! In all of the service manuals from '10-'14, they show that pin 3 should be empty. the other weird thing is that in the foglight wiring diagram, it shows that the pin going from the switch to the BIU is white, so I am not sure where the green wire would go... you could always touch it to ground and see if your fogs turn on...

Archived