LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Independent fog light mod.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today, because I have LEDs for my fog lights, I decided to wire the DRL's to the resistor. To start with I unplugged the connection(and left it unplugged once I finished). Then I spliced some wire to the green wire on the DRL plug and ran it to a splice on the blue wire on the drivers side fog light. When I turned on the car and put it in gear, both fogs came on. They still work as normal when the headlights and high beams are on. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it then, I realize this isn't completely independent, but at least its a del fog light now.

Today, because I have LEDs for my fog lights, I decided to wire the DRL's to the resistor. To start with I unplugged the connection(and left it unplugged once I finished). Then I spliced some wire to the green wire on the DRL plug and ran it to a splice on the blue wire on the drivers side fog light. When I turned on the car and put it in gear, both fogs came on. They still work as normal when the headlights and high beams are on. I will take a pic tomorrow and post it then, I realize this isn't completely independent, but at least its a del fog light now.

Yeah, that won't allow the fogs to be on full time which is what I think the goal is. The good thing is, the way you have it wired, your fogs are now in a series circuit with the high beams, causing the current through each bulb to be about half depending on the bulbs wattage (all my bulbs are 65W, so mine would be exactly half). So now, your fogs and drls are burning at half intensity.

edit: I missed the part about your fogs being LEDs. That would mean if your high beams are halogens (or HIDs), they will be burning at full intensity when activated as drls.

I do have halogens in for my brights so they are burning at full intensity

You could reconnect the drl resistor. The only thing would be that the resistor would be drawing power when the fogs are on. It shouldn't effect the fogs in anyway, though.

Hi guys....I finally finished this mod on my car.....now works like this....

DRLs with no fogs...stalk switch in "Off" position

DRLs with fogs....stalk switch in "Parking lights" position

Low beams with fogs...switch in "Auto" position or "Fog light" position

High beams with fogs.....as above but stalk pushed to High Beam

All with the OEM relay and fuses. The push button fog switch by the mirror knob on the dash no longer controls the fog light...all from the stalk. ;)

Hi guys....I finally finished this mod on my car.....now works like this....

DRLs with no fogs...stalk switch in "Off" position

DRLs with fogs....stalk switch in "Parking lights" position

Low beams with fogs...switch in "Auto" position or "Fog light" position

High beams with fogs.....as above but stalk pushed to High Beam

All with the OEM relay and fuses. The push button fog switch by the mirror knob on the dash no longer controls the fog light...all from the stalk. ;)

So are you going to document your wiring scheme for this :).

It's almost what I want but I'd really prefer that it be independent to the stalk and either on or off from the button. If the button is pressed the fogs are on if it's not they're off no matter what position the stalk is in. But if this works and isn't hard to setup I may just live with it.

The whole wiring system is shown at the start of this thread....all I did recently was clean-up the work I did earlier...made shorter "Jumper" wires.... made a permanent ground connection....tapped into the parking light wire from the left head lamp (Shorter wire to relay) It is easier to do this by loosening the battery tie downs and moving the battery back about 3-4 inches while you work...replace when done.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/1_zpsc56148cf.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/2_zps3398c681.jpg

Here are the results.......

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/3_zps6043722d.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/4_zpsa7f6005c.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/5_zps9b4dbe76.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/6_zps621450f8.jpg

Nice....I am adding a switch to the "Parking light/relay" wire later today...that will give control of the fogs in all circuits...will be using the same spot as you did with the little circular switch.

Hard to tell from your pics...what opening did you run the wires through into the interior??

Nice....I am adding a switch to the "Parking light/relay" wire later today...that will give control of the fogs in all circuits...will be using the same spot as you did with the little circular switch.

Hard to tell from your pics...what opening did you run the wires through into the interior??

In pic 4 you can see where the grey wire runs thru the firewall. It was already used for my aftermarket power amp, so I just piggybacked off that.

Last little detail done today.......ran the power (From the parking light wire) into the dash and put in a switch so I have control of the fog lights no matter what light circuit is "ON"

Of course I used a blue switch....I have a blue car :rolleyes:

Simple install...power wire to the "power" side of the switch....wire from the "Acces." side to the fog light relay and then ground the switch so the switch lights up blue when the fogs are "On" :cool:

Everything else remains the same as the pics I have already posted.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/1_zps563523b0.jpg

Try it...you'll like it :)

No way to have tied that into the existing fog light button?

There probably is...BUT that would bring the BIU back into the mix and IMHO that is just not the risk :eek:

This way is simple and efficient...and can be reversed back to stock in about 2 minutes with no tools needed...pull the jumper wires off the relay and plug the relay back into it's original spot...All done ;)

Back "in the day" I had a 2002 WRX and did this same mod, BUT did it through the OEM fog switch....must have blown about a dozen fuses before I got it right and all the wiring was done laying under the dash on my back..:spin::spin::spin: Now... too wise to try and too old to do that kinda sh*t :cool:

Last little detail done today.......ran the power (From the parking light wire) into the dash and put in a switch so I have control of the fog light no matter what light circuit is "ON"

Of course I used a blue switch....I have a blue car :rolleyes:

Simple install...power wire to the "power" side of the switch....wire from the "Acces." side to the fog light relay and then ground the switch so the switch lights up blue when the fogs are "On" :cool:

Everything else remains the same as the pics I have already posted.

Try it...you'll like it :)

I would check to see how much current is running through that switch. The reason all the other switches control relays (either direct or via the BIU) is to prevent fires.

10 amps ...maximum...It runs off Fuse #20 in the under hood fuse box. No worries IMO...and I have an inline 10 amp fuse leading to the switch.

After I ran it for a while I checked and the wiring and switch are dead cold.

• 3 weeks later...
Okay I'm still trying to work this out for my mod but I need someone with better electrical smarts than me :). What if instead of doing a cable from the parking light I just went to the battery direct or with in line fuse? Would this not make it so that the switch on my dash actually works as the on/off switch for the fog lights?

Okay I'm still trying to work this out for my mod but I need someone with better electrical smarts than me :). What if instead of doing a cable from the parking light I just went to the battery direct or with in line fuse? Would this not make it so that the switch on my dash actually works as the on/off switch for the fog lights?

Use a relay

Use a relay

Isn't that what he has the parking light power plugged into? or am I confused? instead of using the parking light what would happen if you just used straight 12v...do I need a second relay? Where and why?

Isn't that what he has the parking light power plugged into? or am I confused? instead of using the parking light what would happen if you just used straight 12v...do I need a second relay? Where and why?

Refer to post #9...that shows you how to do it........Use an inline fuse and you are set to go....if it is a 2013 model then you have the 19W fog lights and there is only 38W total draw.....As I said in that post, I did it to see if it works...It does!!

I just prefer to have a relay and have it triggered off the parking lights :cool:

:confused: I don't think you all are understanding me.

What I've been saying or trying to say is. Using the relay, instead of your headlight's tab running to the parking light, could you run that direct to the battery and thus converting the push button in the dash to a direct on off button that is now independent from the lights.

I'm guessing that the relay is basically waiting for that 12v signal that it's getting now from your parking light before it switches on/off. if it was getting an always on signal wouldn't that make the push button in the dash true on off that could even be turned on without your headlights?

does this make since now?

:confused: I don't think you all are understanding me.

What I've been saying or trying to say is. Using the relay, instead of your headlight's tab running to the parking light, could you run that direct to the battery and thus converting the push button in the dash to a direct on off button that is now independent from the lights.

I'm guessing that the relay is basically waiting for that 12v signal that it's getting now from your parking light before it switches on/off. if it was getting an always on signal wouldn't that make the push button in the dash true on off that could even be turned on without your headlights?

does this make since now?

Even less sense now.

Archived