LegacyGT.com

FX350 Slipping With 15k

JermTheElf

damn it, this thread gets more and more confusing ...need a clutch ....might just go with stock STI

confusing...just call Mike at AZPinstall.com and tell him to get you a Spec clutch for your car.

He got me my Spec 2

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
damn! Just noticed mine slipping this past weekend.

I'll have to check the mileage I got out of it, but it's only been 1 year.

No way, another one...I find it hard to believe the FX350 can't last a long time.

Who did the install ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I'll quote this from the other thread:

Here is the summary of my experience with Clutch Masters clutches on my modded DD 2005 OBXT.

OEM Clutch: Unknown previous number of miles when 2005 OBXT purchased from previous owner. Engine modded with injectors, pump, and 16G turbo for 1 year without issue. Clutch replaced as preventative maintenance while doing other work. OEM clutch looked good with plenty of life left.

CM FX300: Failed 2.5 months with less than 3000 miles due to 'defective pressure plate' that came with kit.

CM FX350: Sent as 'upgrade' replacement for failed FX300 (though, without asking if I wanted the 'upgrade'). It shook the the car so badly that bolts rattled loose in engine bay and in the cabin on several occasions. The earthquake-like shaking got worse over 5000 miles until it failed. On inspection by CM at their facility, it was determined that the clutch had 'worn out'. However, they replaced it with an FX200 (by my request). I had to pay out-of-pocket for this reinstall. Not happy.

CM FX200: Smooth and Solid after 8000 miles. It feels good. With the lower plate pressure than their other clutches, a full face, and kevlar material, it is advertised as "significantly longer life than stock". However, clutch engagement has been drifting up after months. A mechanic recently drove my car (for other reasons) and commented, "By the way, your clutch feels like it's going out". If it is actually going out, I will not be replacing it with CM.

Just my own individual experience with several CM products in slightly over 1 year. I should have just stuck with OEM

I think we should start a list of people who have had issues, maybe we can formulate something to send to CM..

No way, another one...I find it hard to believe the FX350 can't last a long time.

Who did the install ?

a local shop, lots of experience in modified cars. I have no concerns that it was an issue from the install.

I didn't get to the track at all last year so maybe over the 1-year life I got out of it you could count on one hand the amount of "hard launches" it saw. At most, it got some WOT 2nd gear & 3rd gear pulls on the highway.

Max,

are you still running the Spec 2+ in your car and like it?

I matched a wrx single-mass to my FX350, I can just reuse that (have it resurfaced during install) with the Spec 2+ right?

I'm at stage 2 now, considering jumping to an 18g soon though.

So I ran out to grab my glovebox mod-notebook :lol:

Clutchmasters FX350 w/ wrx oem flywheel & the TSK3 snout kit were installed 3/6/13 at 93,460 miles.

It's slipping now at 103,483 miles

So almost exactly 10,000 miles out of it with very very minimal abuse for what's "supposedly" a stage 2+ clutch :mad:

RedDawg that's almost exactly what happened to me. Just over 10k, at 12k mine was completely toast, no track time, maybe 2-3 hard launches, daily driven. I'm on the Spec 2+ now and it's much better. It will mate up to the WRX SMFW, just make sure you get the Spec 2+ for the 2007 WRX. I THINK the part number is SU203H (off the top of my head so DONT hold me to that number.)

So I emailed Clutchmasters, just curious what they're response would be on the low lifespan of the FX350, especially since i'm no where near the torque limit on the clutch (i'm stage 2).

This is what I sent them:

Hi,

I had your FX350 kit installed last spring on my Subaru Legacy and this past weekend it began slipping upon boost in 3rd, 4th, & 5th gear.

I checked my log books and since install, it’s been approximately 10,000 miles of use. Zero times at the track, zero “hard launches” in that time frame, at most a few dozen WOT pulls when it’s already rolling in 2nd & 3rd gear.

After checking a few Subaru forums it seems that I’m not alone in the premature lifespan of this newer FX350 configuration.

See http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fx350-slipping-15k-223779.html as reference.

I was just wondering if you were aware of any issues with this newer clutch as I was one of the first to purchase and install it for a Subaru Legacy, I had faith that it would have had similar ‘good reviews’ as the FX300 kit.

And the textbook 'go pound sand' reply I got:

The FX350 : This clutch was designed for the street enthusiast or weekend racer who plans to abuse their vehicle on an occasional basis and have a spirited driving style. These are performance clutch kit design to handle more

HP & Torque for high performance engine , there not design for longevity .

Thanks

Lonnie

(909) 877-6800

Now I wasn't expecting them to do anything (offer a replacement, discount on a new one, etc) at all, a burnt out clutch is the cost for modding a car, even if it's sooner than I had hoped. But the typical "clutches are wearable items" response, even when I mentioned that it seems to be becoming common, was disheartening to say the least.

Looks like once I decide on a replacement, my money is going somewhere other than Clutchmasters.

Given the experiences posted here (crossing fingers mine keeps holding for a while longer), I definitely will not give CM another dime of my money. I get that it is a wear item, but for the price paid for their kits, we are getting zero customer service for a part lasting a fraction of the time that other aftermarket clutches will last.

Also those going with spec 2+ kits - please keep your reviews coming in over time. I steered away from the LWFW option before, but if the 07+ WRX kit uses the OEM style FW it may be my replacement clutch when the time comes (I've got 16K on my FX350 now).

Given the experiences posted here (crossing fingers mine keeps holding for a while longer), I definitely will not give CM another dime of my money. I get that it is a wear item, but for the price paid for their kits, we are getting zero customer service for a part lasting a fraction of the time that other aftermarket clutches will last.

Also those going with spec 2+ kits - please keep your reviews coming in over time. I steered away from the LWFW option before, but if the 07+ WRX kit uses the OEM style FW it may be my replacement clutch when the time comes (I've got 16K on my FX350 now).

The kicker for me is that i'm not even close to the "claimed" torque rating for the FX350.

If I had bought their FX100 and it burned out this quick, then that's understandable as i'm probably above the torque capacity for that one.

But at stage 2, ~300tq I would guess?, the FX350 should've held much, much longer before beginning to slip.

I have a slight whirring noise when clutch is engaged fully, pedal all the way out. Not very loud but I notice it. Otherwise the Spec 2+ performs as I would expect a performance clutch to. Bites hard, very daily driver friendly, no issues thus far.

That sound is only there when I let the clutch out from a stop sign. Spec told me it's because of the material in the clutch, nothing to worry about.

My Spec 2 has started doing it to every now and then.

I have a slight whirring noise when clutch is engaged fully, pedal all the way out. Not very loud but I notice it. Otherwise the Spec 2+ performs as I would expect a performance clutch to. Bites hard, very daily driver friendly, no issues thus far.

The Spec 2+ is probably what i'll go with once I swap this one out.

just so i'm clear for my pending-clutch-research:

Jerm is running the Spec 2+ which is:

Features a multi-friction disc in a full faced configuration with carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other.

and Max is running the Spec 2 which is:

Features segmented or full faced pure Kevlar disc with steel backing. This lining features excellent drivability like the stage 1, but offers slightly longer life and higher torque capacity.

correct?

With only 300ftlbs I didn't need all the holding power.

As it turns out, the Spec 2 is more user friendly in the fact it has never chattered once. It has been flawless, even the pedal feel is the same now as it was new.

I seem to recall the Spec 2+ changed a little as it broke in.

The 2+ liked to be driven hard, the 2 seems happy all the time.

Even the OEM clutch would chatter once in a while on damp day's. My two previous Legacy GT's would chatter also when damp, a 98' and a 00' GT wagon.

If I think of other things I'll update, but I think that about covers it.

FWIW, I have been driving my Spec B the past 10 day's while the wagon was getting some TLC at the body shop. When I picked up the wagon and drove it after they had moved the seat around, etc. I didn't like it...it took me a few miles to get used to it again.

The Spec B is such a comfortable car to drive, but I enjoy driving the wagon. What's wrong with me...:) I think it has to do with HP.

Thanks for describing the difference between the two. Good info. I'm on a new stock single mass clutch setup now. If I ever get another bump in power (but there's no E85 around here), I may need to consider a different setup, and this is good stuff to remember.
BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

as for pedal pressure the Spec 2 is just a little stiffer then the OEM clutch in the Spec B. You can feel the difference but after a few miles it not longer noticable.

If I recall right, I'd say the 2+ was again, the same increase in stiffness over the 2.

Archived