LegacyGT.com

What are the smallest wheels I can use?

This is my first winter up here (nh) and the roads are pretty bad now that it's over(ish)-it seems like whenever I try to avoid a pothole I hit three more. I was thinking tires with bigger sidewalls would be less susceptible to damage.

If you hate low profile tires, I think you have the wrong type of car.

If you really wanna run 15" or 16" rims, pretty sure you can find someone with a 95-04 more than willing to trade brakes and wheels with you.

Personally I think that's like saying "ugh. . .I hate my GF's big firm tittays!"

I live very close to the MA/NH border and have had 17" winter wheels on my Legacy for the last eight years without issue. Go with a 225/45-17 over the 215/45-17 and you will get a little more sidewall and curb protection. No clearance issues, especially with a mild drop or stock ride height.

• Moderators
Sounds good, I'll write that down.

From most important to least: durability, wet traction, comfort. I listen to music whenever I'm driving so road noise doesn't matter at all.

Just get an all season touring tire.

Underdog, I'd bet a 225/50 would be fine also, don't you think?

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

225/50-17 is about 5% taller than stock. It might fit but I don't think there is a lot of benefit for the risk. One could spend days weighing all the pros and cons of various fitments and brands/categories of tire; it doesn't sound like the OP wants to mull on it all that much. He just want something that works.

I use 205/50/17 for snow tires.

^^^^This. What digger said. 205/50-17 gives more sidewall flex=smoother ride=less potential for wheel damage=less cost per tire=narrower tread profile for snow and winter driving=better grip and traction=happier driver...LOL...:)

Archived