LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Ltd Wagon 6sp 340WHP Build

Soarer

Nice wagon dude. Cannot wait to see her finished.

Have you seen the MightyCarMods Gramps build?

I just checked it out. Looks awesome! Makes me miss my 98. Hopefully he'll turn up the boost and get that thing to put down some real numbers!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just checked it out. Looks awesome! Makes me miss my 98. Hopefully he'll turn up the boost and get that thing to put down some real numbers!

Marty completed his recently. He used a 2005 wagon with an ez36 that's turboed. The reason why he went from the 2nd gen to the 4th was that the car got rained on the day before it was going to paint and the car got water logged

My Car Build Log: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2000-leggy-brighton-wagon-swagon-242198.html?t=242198

Had a very nice drive out to Hartford for work yesterday. It was a beautiful day and the Legacy is really purring! Still on my break in tune and still have to sure up a small oil leak but otherwise, I'm very happy. Gave her a bath and snapped some pics.

IMG_0738.thumb.jpg.587f470ad6ee950dc94ba352199d9f31.jpg

• 8 months later...

Watching to see how this turns out. Been awhile since last update.....hint hint.

Rebuilt motor just started throwing a misfire on (wait for it) #4. Same one that caused the rebuild. Stock tune and not very aggressive driving. Looking at getting a shortblock to rebuild and throwing my heads on the shortblock to save some money. Never done it before (except an old Ford 351) but cant blow the money like I did on the rebuild. Then I want a 18g and good tune for a blast DD.

I got the Leggy tinted last week at Gotham Auto Works in Danbury CT. The guys were really nice and took me on short notice. Paid $250 for the job. Not totally happy with it as there are a lot of small air bubbles in it. Might take it back. Not sure yet.

Other than that, I'm taking the car in for a new tune/troubleshooting session. I found a new tuner in New Milford, CT named John at Plus Zero Motorsports. He's got a 4 wheel dyne in there and seems like a really nice, approachable guy. STi Mikey seems impossible to get a hold of these days. I'm hoping that this new guy is good and can work out the bugs that Mikey couldn't put his finger on. I'll post when I have more.

After that I want to get my fender fixed. It has a small dent in it from the previous owner.

Maybe a JDM double din radio too.....

I got the Leggy tinted last week at Gotham Auto Works in Danbury CT. The guys were really nice and took me on short notice. Paid $250 for the job. Not totally happy with it as there are a lot of small air bubbles in it. Might take it back. Not sure yet.

Take it back, that's a bad install. Little bubbles that don't go away after a day or two are only going to get bigger.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm a little late to the show, but nice build man!

Hope the tune and Dyno session goes well. I work in Danbury, are you local to the area?

Ran into a little wastegate issue while tuning today. The BNR 18G was set with way too low (5psi) pressure from the factory. They traced the issue down to that and now they've got to pull the TMIC tomorrow, adjust the wastegate arm and then get back to tuning. Hopefully, they can finish it up tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm local. I live by the mall.

Always something right? I'm sure that will get sorted out. Have the guys at Plus Zero Motorsports dealt with many Turbo'd Subies?

It would be cool to meet up sometime, love to check out that wagon in person.

They had a pretty heavily modified LGT sedan in there getting a ton of work done. Also, the owner has a GORGEOUS 07 WRX in matte silver that he just dropped a new motor into.

Shoot me a PM and we'll meet up for a cruise night somewhere.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting closer! I've had the car back for a few days and it's the best it's been. It's not quite there yet though. My tuning saga continues.

My tuner was having trouble getting the turbo to hold boost. It would spike to about 16psi and then fall off to about 11psi. He suspected that the wastegate actuator wasn't working correctly so we contacted Brian at BNR and he said to put more preload on the actuator arm. This wasn't really the answer we were looking for as the turbo is supposed to be pretensioned from new. We tried it anyway and it got a bit better finally hitting 18psi and dropping to 13psi. Still totally unacceptable...

Another call to Brian and he said he'd send out a different actuator. We installed that one and still had the same issue. Brian said add more and more preload so we did. We finally got it to hit a peak of 20psi and then it would still fall off to 16psi. Better but not the way it's supposed to function!

That's the way the car sits right now. I'm not happy with it so I have ordered a TurboSmart actuator with 14lb springs and I'm going to see how that works. I also got a TurboSmart BPV because my current one is stock and has 147k on it. I'm going to retune after I get these parts installed.

If that doesn't work, it looks like I'll have to go external wastegate which I'd really rather not do.. :-(

• 4 months later...

I installed the TurboSmart wastegate actuator and recirc valve and took the car back for tuning. It put down less HP but more torque and felt great. but.....

About 300 miles after the tune, it starting running like crap. I was hesitating under light load while cruising and going rich when tipping into boost. My tuner suggested replacing the spark plugs (which only had 4k miles on them) and I did. It ran great again but after another 300 miles, same issues.

I was also still having a hard start issue after leaving the car for 2-4 hours. I figured it was a leaky injector so I pulled the injectors and sent them back to T1 aka Injector Dynamics. They just emailed to say that one of them was leaking but they've cleaned them and they're good to go. I should have them reinstalled next week. I'm going to install a 6 micron Fuelab fuel filter to protect the injectors moving forward.

Also, I noticed that the coil packs on my motor were black, not grey. The EJ205 motors got black coil packs and the EJ255 and EJ257 motors got grey coil packs. The boots on the black coil packs are longer to suit the S20 heads and the dwell time is different. 2ms for the black ones and 5ms for the grey ones. I'm not sure how much this affected my car but I've got a spare set of grey coil packs that I'm going to install with fresh spark plugs (going back to stock plugs, not 1 step colder) and then retune.

Fingers crossed that this is it!

On another note, a few months back I found a guy parting out a SWP Legacy and I got a fender and hood from him. No more dents!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my injectors back from T1 and they serviced them. They said that one of the injectors was leaking a bit and another was out of spec. They're ready to go now and I've got to reinstall them. The guys at both Rally Sport Direct and T1/Injector Dynamics were all super helpful. The customer service was EXCELLENT!

T1 suggested that I put a good fuel filter on my car. They recommended the Fuelab 82830 which I have purchased. One problem.... This thing is huge! It's about 3" in diameter and 9" long with fittings. I don't know where I'm going to put it. I can't find a good spot under the hood. Does anyone have any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I ended up mounting the fuel filter in the spare tire well. I took fuel supply from the jet hose (the quick connect fitting on the driver side under the rear seat) and ran 6AN lines out of the access cover, under the rear seat, under the trunk cover panel since I have a wagon, and into the spare tire well. I mounted the filter on the back of the well.

To keep a water tight seal on the fuel level sensor/jet hose access cover, I cut and welded it to make room for the two 6AN hoses now coming out of it and used some foam weatherstripping to seal around the hoses.

The car has been running SO much better. I think I should have it retuned now because when it was tuned last, it had a leaky injector and who knows what compensations were made to tune around that.

FYI: Here are the parts I bought for this install:

(1) Fuelab Filter #FUE-82831-1

(1) 6AN Braided Fuel Line #6 HOSE PRE-CUT 15-FEET Jegs #555-100913

(1) 6AN Male to 5/16" Female Quick Connect fitting - Russell #799-640863

(1) 6AN Male to 5/16" Male Quick Connect fitting - Russell #799-640930

(2) 6AN Female 90 degree swivel seal fitting - Russel #361-809106

(1) 6AN Female 180 degree fitting - Earls #361-318006

(1) 6AN Female straight fitting - Earls #361-800106

Also, I have had trouble cutting braided fuel line in the past using a cutting wheel or cable cutter. I came across a video on youtube (sorry, can't find it now) and it was a guy from one of the hose manufacturers. He said NOT to put tape around the hose where you're cutting. He took a large sharp chisel and a piece of aluminum stock as a cutting board and whacked the hose with the chisel against the aluminum and with a couple whacks, it cuts right through. It worked great for me. I'll never do it another way.

• 2 months later...

Ugggghhh. Had SO MANY problems with this damn Fuelab filter. Had a strong smell of fuel in the car so I checked for leaks and it was leaking from the outlet port. I checked the fittings and torqued to spec. Still leaked.

I'm going to leave out the detailed description of the 20 (yes TWENTY) times I've had to remove and reinstall this filter with new fittings and new end caps but suffice it to say that Fuelab has a serious quality control issue with this filter. The advice of the chief engineer at Fuelab was to put Loctite on the cone of the fitting. Not cool. Everyone knows you're not supposed to put any type of sealant on an AN fitting.

I finally got the outlet side to seal with Loctite and now the inlet side is leaking. Loctite didn't work on that side. I'm so frustrated with this poor product.

Archived