LegacyGT.com

Turbo Inlet & Running Lean

I've been getting a CEL with the P0171 (running too lean) code on and off for a few weeks now in my 2005 GT wagon. After trying to diagnose the issue myself I finally gave in and took it to a subie-specific shop to have them try to figure it out. They found all sensors to be working properly, but discovered a tear in the turbo inlet hose (smoke test) and are sure that is the cause. The cost to replace it was quoted at $750, although I talked to another subie shop that will do it for around $600. I didn't drive the car yesterday and when I got in it this morning the CEL had turned off. So, my questions are:

Is it reasonable to believe this tear is the culprit and worth the expensive repair job?

If the light stays off should I just keep driving for now?

Will driving around with this (potentially) too lean condition damage my engine?

Any other thoughts, suggestions, etc... are appreciated.

Thanks!

yes, this is why your car is lean, its a vacuum leak and its potentially really harmful for the engine.

the price you're getting quoted is for pulling the intake manifold. makes sense if you want to replace the TGV or manifold gaskets as well, otherwise its possible to install it without removing the manifold.

I installed a perrin inlet in a couple hours without taking anything off the top of the motor. its not easy, but wasn't impossible either.

Damn, hopefully I didn't do too much damage as the issue went diagnosed for a while... Finally got it in to a local independent Subaru shop who replaced it at a great price. CEL is off and so far all the strange stutter and random loss of power issues have been non-existent. Hopefully this was the source of many of the issues I've been having. Thanks for the input on this!

Dont confuse Perrin with a quality fitting product though.

Funny after 1 hour of research on these forums i ended up going with OEM. My car is stock the stock inlet is plenty. I also read some stories about the various inlet replacements, I will also be changing the IM to TGV gasket while im in there.

Funny after 1 hour of research on these forums i ended up going with OEM. My car is stock the stock inlet is plenty. I also read some stories about the various inlet replacements, I will also be changing the IM to TGV gasket while im in there.

You dont NEED to pull the TGV/Manifold to install a new inlet. IF you DO you NEED to replace them....IMO YMMV

I've read it makes it easier, any advice on the install is welcomed ive owned Subarus but never a turbo so this is kinda new territory.

In addition to the inlet i also ordered 3 (two for IC to TB and one for turbo inlet):

Beefy Clamps

We use these clamps on our New Holland tractor b/c the turbo outlet kept blowing off (had worm gear clamps stock) whenever we bail hay (high RPMs) We used the auto torque model. Haven't had a problem since.

I've read it makes it easier, any advice on the install is welcomed ive owned Subarus but never a turbo so this is kinda new territory.

In addition to the inlet i also ordered 3 (two for IC to TB and one for turbo inlet):

Beefy Clamps

We use these clamps on our New Holland tractor b/c the turbo outlet kept blowing off (had worm gear clamps stock) whenever we bail hay (high RPMs) We used the auto torque model. Haven't had a problem since.

It makes it take a LOT longer. a little oil on the rubber and the lower tool in this picture help.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKocE4)W,QumuBOUT3bcC0w~~48_3.JPG

• 2 years later...
It makes it take a LOT longer. a little oil on the rubber and the lower tool in this picture help.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqQOKocE4)W,QumuBOUT3bcC0w~~48_3.JPG

I know this is an old thread, but that bottom tool is responsible for tearing my inlet when I was trying to get it on a bit too quickly...

I know this is an old thread, but that bottom tool is responsible for tearing my inlet when I was trying to get it on a bit too quickly...

Inlets are like condoms...use lube and take your time.

Having a tear in the turbo inlet, will mean your car is sucking in more air than whats being measured at the maf, more air in system = lean. I'd suggest putting in a perrin turbo inlet. We have some in stock shoot us a PM if interested.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Having a tear in the turbo inlet, will mean your car is sucking in more air than whats being measured at the maf, more air in system = lean. I'd suggest putting in a perrin turbo inlet. We have some in stock shoot us a PM if interested.

-Brian

You forgot to mention they are notoriously hard to install :lol:

Archived