LegacyGT.com

Car Not Starting! - please help!

Hey all,

Finally got the legacy all back together. Found out quite a few of the valves were bad, so Suba Performance in Denver replaced all of them with SS Brian Crower valves and completely serviced the heads back to spec.

While the engine was apart I replaced the water pump, timing belt, lots of seals, gaskets, new rubber hoses and o-rings, replaced the turbo with a BNR-16G, threw on a perrin uppipe and inlet hose.

Naturally all fresh fluids and whatnot as well.

I drove the car as is into the garage where it was torn apart (engine running) but now the car won't start.

Car cranks over fine, tries to fire (not just a dry crank) but never succeeds in running.

Re-checked the timing and that was spot on, checked to verify fuel was coming in. triple checked everything through the engine to make sure I didn't miss anything plugging back in etc. Had a friend come and he checked a few things, also verified that the coilpacks were plugged in the right order (anyone have a picture of the orientation just for kicks?)

Only thing I'm missing is the sensor on the oem uppipe is gone because the perrin unit doesn't have a bung for that. Need to grab a resistor but that shouldn't affect the start.

The gas in the car is pretty old but it did run beforehand. I will want to get that out but not sure how to do it unless I use a tiny hose to siphon half a tank.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

The EGT probe won't make it not run but it will throw a CEL. Try to reset ECU and see if that changes anything. How did you verify fueling? Only two things will keep the car from running: no fuel or no spark. (simplified, I know there is more to it). Simply put we need more info.

-Check what codes are stored / pending

-Verify fuel pump in working (check fuse, listen for whirr below rear seat)

-Are test mode connectors connected?

You know what worries me is that there is no CEL. Never plugged in the test connectors but the car hasn't thrown any codes yet and I did a clear to see if it would do anything. But I only have one of those cheap code readers fairly limited in its capabilities

Haven't verified that its getting spark yet It's just odd as it was running before. I did replace the plugs but that was about it.

Don't know if that sensor is good now but it worked beforehand and yes it is plugged in.

The car sat for about 3 years, I have no idea how old the gas is though as I never put anything in there.

Fuel pump is working we checked that too, you can hear it run. Just pulled a fuel line and checked that way to make sure it was coming through.

Possibly lol...

Is there some special way to get the gas out? I bought a fairly small hose to stuff down there but it gets jammed about 8 inches in. Does the filler hose get that small or is there some anti-siphon thing going on in there

nvm I see there are a pair of drain plugs under there

3 years!?!?! :lol:

Yeah, that fuel is now water. Flush it out. The fastest way is to disconnect the fuel line by the intake manifold, then connect a hose to the line and place the hose in a large bucket. Turn the iginition to the "On" position and it should start pumping it out.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I had a similar issue when I changed my timing belt. It would keep turning and turning and turning but never start, so I pulled the belt and redid it, even though it looked like it was right.

I believe the black clips are for rears, and other color is front.

Great thanks good to know, I have the white pair up front, black connectors behind.

Hmm i guess if the fuel deal doesn't work I can pull the belt but I'm pretty sure its right on, checked that a few times just to be sure before and after the engine was in the car

Ah I see what you mean. Well naturally yea I had to move the cams when I put them back. Tried to roughly line them as stated in the service manual and then i moved them appropriately with the cam pulley installed so everything was in its proper position before installing the belt.

You should be able to pull the fuel feed hose turn the key to on and fuel pump should pump all the gas out into a gas can.

3 years...or you kidding us...

Next question, who put the heads together ?

See my click here link for pictures if you need.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It should stay on, as long as the line doesn't pressurize. drain it until the fuel gauge drops down to the Red mark.

no ! its one for 3 seconds at key on ..

then it stays on when the ecm has crank and cam signal

you can hot wire the pump under the back seat super easy and pump the gas out.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Archived