LegacyGT.com

Car Not Starting! - please help!

I'll give that a shot.

Quick update:

Pulled the drain plugs because I didn't want to hotwire the pump and it would only spit a little bit out at a time (success the fuel pump is definitely working)

drained about 9 gallons of 3yo gas, put in 5 of fresh 91 octane. No change...

What would pulling the sensors do?

I guess thats true for the valves but I have no idea if thats wrong, that part I naturally did not do. The shop (very reputable around here) spent some time with the heads I trust that they did a good job

If cam s are out of tolerance the ECM won't let the car start if you unplug the cam sensors it can start. Just to rule things out. Are you getting fire ? Is it firing the injectors ?

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

During cranking it sounds like the car is about to start, literally sounds like another second or so and the car would begin running but it just can never quite catch enough to fire off like normal.

I can check that out though. Might have someone drop by that really knows their stuff tonight we'll see if they can come

I did actually do that a few days ago. I'll double check today maybe throw some pictures up it looked good to me but my friend was thinking the same thing (smart subaru guy). Not a great description but I kind of agree with him, it sounds kind of weird when it cranks, I know thats not helpful but I'll try and grab a video or something later

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

not sure you have the service manual. The gt's start around page 1600, in the back of the book about page 5448 you'll find more info.

Make sure you in the right section, all engines are in there.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Timing is good. Brought a subaru master mechanic over to take a look at the car, he said by listening to it crank over he thinks cams might have been swapped between the passenger and driver's side.

Pulled the Driver's valve cover yesterday (easier ha) and the exhaust cam is clearly marked L-EX which is good, so thats not swapped. However, its unclear what the marking on the intake cam says. I guess I'll be pulling the passenger cover off which is going to be real fun..

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/shankskank/Legacy%20GT/39683506-756e-43b1-a5f2-856872701d28_zps6eef7896.jpg

You can see there it's just __ -IN. dammit. Kind of looks like there was an L there but I'm not sure

Other thanthe bearings on the different wear patterens on the cams. why would it matter which intake cam goes where.

I really haven't given it much thought as to how engine rotation and cam movement works.

If the right cam is in the left head, would the lob's all work backwards ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I've been meaning to grab a tester and check just haven't gotten around to it yet

I couldn't say but I think the cams are individually different. just looked up a quick photo, they look to be something like 90 degrees off from eachother. Hopefully there is no valve damage.

The master tech guy seemed to think that would be a problem, I don't think they are universal

Tyringto tink more about the cams being backwards...wouldn't compression still show good, but you wouldn't know if they were in backwards. I mean the valve are still going to close at some point.

Damn, where is BAC5.2 when you need him.

Well if the valves are opening at the wrong time or closed at the wrong time its possible you wouldn't get good compression yea? because it would be off by a half stroke or whatever the difference may be

I think the cams are different between drivers and passengerside.

if they are the same they should be similar and the timming gear would invert them.

but if at least one side of the engine are correct it would start.

but keep in mind the intake cams monitored for correct angle if they are not correct the spark and fuel is disabled. and it should display a code

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out the piston rings were bad. Couple of the cylinders are pretty damn low, like 20-40psi, one at 80psi and the other at 100psi. No one really knows exactly what caused everything to hit the fan like this, but the block is getting pulled and rebuilt. Almost done pulling the engine apart after this weekend.

Sucks but on the plus side this car will have a fully rebuilt engine haha. Should be nice and clean in that bay when I'm finally done fixing this thing!

10157300_10152138967874926_6140931093471607260_n.jpg

Didn't feel like pulling the turbo with the engine installed

Quick question; after talking to the shop that is going to rebuild the shortblock they wanted to make sure the block was in decent shape. They were a little concerned about the super low compression numbers on two cylinders.

Now I've never had to deal with something like this, is that a fairly low number when rings go bad? (the 20-40psi)

Yes that seems very low, it almost sounds more like a cracked piston/ringland. Most worn out rings I've seen still will have compression between 60 - 90 psi. Also would be determine on how the cylinder was tested. If you tested the compress on a cold motor you will get lower psi in all cylinders.
My wife's balls are delicious.

definitely tested cold as the motor hasn't run in some time and doesn't run at this time. I didn't see anything that caught my eye when I pulled the block apart the first time but I'll take a closer look this time before I bring it in for evaluation/rebuilding

actually no, they looked pretty clean considering, a tiny bit of scarring on one cylinder, but I couldn't feel it, definitely passed the fingernail test with flying colors. Also showed the block to the shop that did the valves and they said it looked fine as well

Couple photos of the cylinders/pistons in here if you want to look for yourself

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/shankskank/library/Legacy%20GT?sort=3&page=1

this is the cylinder I was talking about. See the light marks at the top of the photo

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/shankskank/Legacy%20GT/LGTEngine2_zps3472ef18.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still not sure exactly what was wrong with the block, sold it to a guy for 125 feeling ok with that ha. Ended up buying a used SB from a friend who's building a fresh motor with 70k for 400 bucks, tested while running, good compression haha.

It runs! Sounds like one valve is making noise though, Suba thinks a bucket might have gotten a little stuck because the heads haven't been rotated in like 4 months. I'll see how that goes.

10441505_10152229421749926_2994759718828833252_n.jpg

Has a clear bra on the front, I was hoping it could stay but since the car sat for 3 years its so damn faded probably needs to be peeled off :(

Archived