LegacyGT.com

Gauging interest: DDE Lightning (aka Angel Eyes, Halos)

RPM

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This would be interesting depending on how they look. They definitely look good on some cars. If they look good on the Legacy then you can definitely count me in.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Sweetness! I hope this roll smoothly and quickly. I really want this mod done. I plan on clearing my headlights out and i only want to open them up once.

One thing i ask for is when it comes time please make sure the installation instructions are clear and possible include pictures(color for wiring differences mebbe?). Some of us are not that adept in the world of wiring and such. At least i know im not but i am smart enough to realize it and follow given instructions to the letter. =)

Just a question here.

Is this a groupbuy, or a lets see how many people say they like this product??

Is there pictures of this product on a LGT?

RPM wanted to see if there was enough interst to get them made. There is, so they are talk'n to a manufacturer.....once they get a test vehicle over there to get them fitted.....then we'll buy them up........

GB hasn't been stated yet, but led to believe that if there are enough we will get them cheaper then the 149 stated price in the first post :D

This thread is simply to gauge interest. The interest is obviously there, so we're moving forward. We're expecting to start a group buy towards the middle of September. We have not prototyped our kit yet, but it should look very similar to the custom kit made by someone in Japan that was posted here:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=262734&postcount=209

How to the lights work? Is there an independent switch that turns on only the halos? Are they always on? Only with parking lights?

It seems that they would only look cool when the lights are off. Just wondering how you control that

Matt,

How/when they switch on would depend on how you wire them.

I'd prefer to wire them into the line that feeds power to the parking/signal marker - there's three wires in our car for that lamp, one ground, one for the flasher, one for the constant-on when the parking/marker is on, the latter is the one you'd want to power-tap.

This way, whenever the parking/marker lamp is on, you get the DDE "halo," but it won't blink with your signal - it'll stay "constant on" as long as your marker/parking lights are on.

Although the same could be accomplished by wiring into the headlight low-beam, you would also take away some of the dusk/dawn attractiveness of the "halo," as your low-beams would have to be on for the DDE to be on.

Typically, aftermarket DDEs constructed of CCFL will be visible even when your headlights are "on" -and many are visible as distinct halos even with HIDs on and/or during daylight hours (at closer distances to the car)- however, especially for the latter two concerns (HID/daylight visibility) you'd want to confirm with the part maker/retailer.

Very few of the halos commonly referred to as "Angle Eyes," which are typically made with single or multiple LEDs of various output, are truly visible in the daytime or are visible when either incandescent or even more so when HIDs are engaged.

I truly am hoping that RPM will offer a superior product which will enable the DDE halos to be clearly visible under overcast/dusk/dawn conditions as well as with at least the standard conventional incandescent headlights engaged. Their choice to go with CCFL has me very hopeful indeed, as it is indeed a step in the correct direction.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived