LegacyGT.com

White smoke at cold start

ok... Got my car back from an engine rebuild a few weeks ago and now there's white smoke coming out of the exhaust at cold start. Goes away after a few seconds though. No bubbles in coolant tank, oil level is good. Both heads were rebuild, new sti pistons with rings, new TB, original gasket set from Subaru. Any ideas?

P.S. Just wanna see what people say and if anyone had the same issue before I take it back to my mechanic.

All cars do that on start up and when its cold out. When your driving around, notice others cars, its cold out man...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Smells rich. Can't say it smells like burning coolant. Car is parked outside and I always warm it up before driving. I doubt it's a blown head gasket as it was replaced with an OEM one. Guy who did the work is a very reputable Subaru mechanic in my area

how long do you warm it up? how long are your trips?

if you had a coolant leak, it would not go away and your coolant levels would drop (before startup next morning, mark the coolant recovery tank at current level & check coolant level). if none of those are true, you have condensation burning off from exhaust system. Then check levels next morning to see what changed. If everything the same, it's just winter. If something changed, have your mechanic check it out.

also, run a clean dry rag around all the seals & head gaskets (as much as you can), should be clean or mostly so.

Like boxkita asked, how long do you let it warm up ?

The answer should be, not at all, start it and drive it is what is recommended.

Everytime I drive on the highway this time of year, which is just about 7 days a week, I see most every car with white vapor smoke, some heavier then others.

If your not loosing coolant, you should not be worried.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I let it warm up for 5-10min. It was 15F here today.. So much for spring. Don't wanna drive it cold since the engine is not even broken in yet.

Will keep an eye on my coolant level and post if there're any changes in a few days.

P.S I know what vapor is and know that is normal even summer time on some cars. What I get is a puff of smoke which goes away pretty quickly.

Don't let it warm up, its not good for the engine. Start it and drive it easy. The weight of the pistons and the extra fuel during startup or not a good combination for piston wear.

Think about the piston laying on it side or bottom sliding in/out, not up/down like a inline 4 or V engine.

I can tell you that is not the way to set rings :(

I wasn't going to address that, its already to late.

Archived