LegacyGT.com

Here is my ej22e turbo recipe.

And Headgasket blew. 22t Swap time.

So how much power at the crank do you think you have? would this be a suitable option for a 2.5 short block with ej22 heads and intake hybrid motor? Very interested.

Maybe 200. Its hard to say without a dyno. But if you are going hybrid, you want to do that the other way around. 22 block with 25 heads. Low compression. Good for boost.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arnt ej25 heads DOHC? the sensors and what not wouldnt match my ej22

I'll answer this 3 different ways:

1. EJ25D heads are DOHC & they have the wider intake/exhaust ports (97-99) for more air/exhaust flow.

2. The EJ25Dhead/EJ22E block hybrid or "EJ22D" under 5psi of boost, untuned, will produce about 160-165awhp/200awtq. That's 40awtq higher than the EJ205 in stock form.

3. The sensors between the EJ25D & the EJ22E can be swapped over to one another very easily & makes for very quick, easy compatibility.

Ive heard a 2.5 shortblock with ej22 heads is 180 awhp but you have to run 91, and then Ive heard stock ej22 ecu wil run 5 psi of boost and a ej22e will troop 10 psi reliably, how true is this? and would you buy the head gasket for the head you are putting on or the block?

Ive heard a 2.5 shortblock with ej22 heads is 180 awhp but you have to run 91, and then Ive heard stock ej22 ecu wil run 5 psi of boost and a ej22e will troop 10 psi reliably, how true is this? and would you buy the head gasket for the head you are putting on or the block?

1. The EJ22E head/25D block combo does produce such power AFTER the intake ports have been ground open for more air flow. Without such, it almost as low as the turbo EJ25D/EJ22E combo but with much more low-end TQ.

2. An EJ22E will withstand no more than 24psi tuned and yes, the 22E will tolerate no more than 8psi untuned.

3. For hybrids, you ALWAYS buy the head gasket for the block and they have to be aftermarket/custom-made.

• 4 weeks later...
So I haven't updated this in a while. I ended up blowing the passenger side head gasket on the 22e and since it needed to get pulled to replace it I decided to just swap in my 22t instead. I will do some more updates once the motor gets dropped in and I see how things run on the new block. I also ended up getting a Emanage Blue for a decent price and will be wiring that into the car. It takes a fair amount of work to figure out how to wire it up right since there is no firm documentation for subarus that I could find but I have all the wiring worked out at this point. Wire diagrams and greddy pin outs to come soon as well. I have the main harness, injector harness, and ignition harness for my piggy back so I will cover wiring all of that stuff.

Basically waht zues said. Yes it will work and you have most of the pieces you need to turbo the car with that kit but its far from a bolt on affair. I used a complete turbo legacy as a parts car to get most of the pieces I needed and still ended up having to fab a ton of parts to get it to work. On top of that, you will have a garbage ebay turbo along with a bunch of garbage ebay parts to go with it (don't get me wrong, I have knock off ebay parts on my car. Just not in the general engine compartment where they can fail and destroy a motor). If you read all of the description it talks a whole lot about what the max possible psi's you can run but nothing about the minimum. You want the minimum. Especially with no engine management and stock ecu. 5 psi max isn't me just playing it safe, it really is the max your car can handle in stock form. And even then I still ended up blowing a headgasket and I never took my car even close to redline the entire time it was N/A turboed.

• 1 month later...
Any new news

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

What do you want to know about it? Still running on the stock n/a ecu and vf11 right now on the 22t block and heads. I worked on tuning a bit but will probably end up going stand alone before its all said and done. I have my gauges all wired in and I'm running almost perfect a/f ratios all the time. I do get just a little leaner then I would like at full boost in 3rd but its not even close to doing any damage so I'm not stressing it right now. I'm collecting parts right now for a td04 upgrade and a 3 inch catless exhaust and should be doing those upgrades first week of June give or take

Sent from my LG-D800

• 1 month later...

blank, did you use the sensors from your 22e or the 22t when you dropped in the 22t? As far as I can tell, the cam and crank sensors are the same on both engines.

I'm still debating whether to drop the 22t in and run it with my 22e ecu and drive that for a while until I can get a new trans that will be able to reliably handle the 22t/205 hybrid that I am building. Unfortunately I have too many house projects going on so I can't devote the funds to the hybrid build but I could get the 22t up and running pretty easy. I have STi rods and Wisecos to drop in so I need to get the block bored and decked first.

I used all the 22e intake manifold and sensors as well as the ecu. I'm still running steady with it setup like that at 7psi and have almost 4500 miles on it so far. If I remember right the sensors look the same but the connectors were different from first gen to second gen.

Sorry, do you mean you used the actual 22e intake manifold as well as the sensors? If so why not use the 22t intake manifold?

Yeah, the actual 22e intake manifold. I heard a rumor that it flowed better(looks the same to me). But mainly it had all my fuel rails and everything together on it so I just went ahead and used it. I didn't switch to the 22t injectors yet since the N/A and Turbo rails aren't the same and once I'm ready for more fuel I'll switch rails at that point. I just used the one that was already put together. The only issue you will run into if you go that route is the purge valve is in the way for the turbo elbow so I just bent the mounting bracket a little bit until it cleared.

I'm excited for you! I'm glad you decided to turbo it! I remember my first post on lgt...... I was asking something about turbo'ing my phase 2 ej22e. Zues said "NO. Don't do it. It won't work. You're a flake and it won't pan out". At least that's how I interpreted it ;) I still dislike him very much for his close minded opinion, but I did it anyways. Definitely the most fun car experience i've ever had. Now I have a 386awhp a4 8) Still miss the Subaru though :/

I loved my vf11. I switched to a td04 and it was pointless. Spool from the td04 was mayyyyybe 200rpms later. I didn't notice any top end gain, so it was ultimately pointless. Any youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KtooGDYkTXs

That's interesting about the td04 swap not giving you much gains. Pretty much everyone has said on bbs that upgrading to a td04 made quite a difference. However, when most upgrade to a td04 they also are installing a tmic so perhaps with those two factors the gains are more noticeable. Also, once you install a tmic on the stock 22t you can increase the boost level a bit. How much boost were you pushing in your build?

I have a td04 and tmic to install on my 93 tleggy, and then I'll probably take the vf11 and use that for the 22t swap into my wagon.

But I agree, the vf11 is a great little turbo, it spools up super quick and packs quite a punch.

I'm excited for you! I'm glad you decided to turbo it! I remember my first post on lgt...... I was asking something about turbo'ing my phase 2 ej22e. Zues said "NO. Don't do it. It won't work. You're a flake and it won't pan out". At least that's how I interpreted it ;) I still dislike him very much for his close minded opinion, but I did it anyways. Definitely the most fun car experience i've ever had. Now I have a 386awhp a4 8) Still miss the Subaru though :/

I loved my vf11. I switched to a td04 and it was pointless. Spool from the td04 was mayyyyybe 200rpms later. I didn't notice any top end gain, so it was ultimately pointless. Any youtube videos?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KtooGDYkTXs

No videos of mine. I still need to get around to doing that. And my original 22e did not really last that long so it wasn't really the best motor to boost. But this 22t on the other hand is awesome with boost. I have a td04 in the garage I was planning on dropping in but you have me second guessing that now. I know the torque is better on the td04 but my vf11 does hold boost all the way to redline as is. I might need to just hold out and find a good td05 or a proper VF if I'm going to upgrade. Maybe I'll try and get a youtube video just in car filmed tonight if I can remember and get it posted.

I never went over 14psi with the vf11 and td04. I may have been boosting below it's max efficiency. I had a front mount with both towards the end and had a top mount before. If you watch any of my other videos, all the auto vids are vf11, and td04 are 5mt. When you compare the two sizes side by side, there's quite a bit of a difference (both still little turbos). It could be worth it to use the td04 with the 22t, but if you've went that far I'd personally go td05. Maybe an 18g or bigger given you have the 22t. My current turbo is bigger than a 20g on a 1.8. It's between a 3071r and 3076r. Full boost at 4k. It's awesome regardless.

Archived