LegacyGT.com

Here is my ej22e turbo recipe.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you go bigger than a td04 what other support mods do you think would be necessary if you are still using the stock ecu? Larger injectors and a piggyback?

If everything works out like I'm planning, I'm going to have a bonus check coming end of summer/fall and I want to use that to buy a haltech so I can actually tune this damn thing. Aside from that, I have bigger injectors in the garage already, I have a 255, I'm going to 3 inch exhaust and bellmouth downpipe either this weekend or next weekend, and I'll need a better hood scoop with an actually splitter to make sure I get enough airflow.

If everything works out like I'm planning, I'm going to have a bonus check coming end of summer/fall and I want to use that to buy a haltech so I can actually tune this damn thing. Aside from that, I have bigger injectors in the garage already, I have a 255, I'm going to 3 inch exhaust and bellmouth downpipe either this weekend or next weekend, and I'll need a better hood scoop with an actually splitter to make sure I get enough airflow.

Do you have any idea how a similar setup would perform on a EJ25D?? I've been wondering for a while on doing the same thing. It looks easy, but I am not sure on the reliability of this engine with a turbo attached.

One of the guys in my subie club is running a AVO turbo kit on a stock 2.5 and it seems to be working perfect for him. Take that for what its worth though, I have seen a lot more 2.5's pop with very little boost. Personally if it were me I would use your heads and intake and put them on a ej22e block and run the hell out of it.

blank, what are the emissions requirements where you live? The reason I ask is I am curious if I swap in the 22T if I will still pass an emissions test. I only have to pass the sniff test.

I'm guessing that I should be fine...

Colorado just has the sniff test as well. Well half the state does anyway. I register at my parents house even though I haven't lived there in 15 years so I don't have to deal with emissions but if I had to do them I don't see any reason why I wouldn't pass as long as I had the factory cats back in. I have no check engine lights, still OBD2, runs smooth, and the only smoke I have is a little oil burning which will get fixed when I go forged and put new rings in.

^Blank...is that vid taken after the TBE installed that you posted pics of in the "what did you do" thread?

That was before. I was using a stock DP that I gutted and tleg rear exhaust that I modified to fit. It was all 2.5" piping before. I just finished everything up on the new exhaust last night and I'm going to see if I can drag my GF out tomorrow to film a quick fly by that I can get posted up.

When I was working on the new exhaust I ended up breaking two studs on my turbo so I had to pull it to fix that as well. Then I found a crack in my waste gate so I had a new hot side put on my turbo and then redid my oil lines and a few other parts while I had everything out.

Nice! Did you install one of those turbos you picked up the other day?

Yeah, I threw one of those on and fixed my oil lines while I had it out so I'm not leaking like crazy out of my oil drain. The other one will just sit on a shelf for a rainy day.

• 5 months later...

Did you use a rrfpr when you put the 22T in? What AFRs were you shooting for?

I'm still thinking about dropping a complete 22T longblock in my wagon instead of doing a hybrid (to tide me over until I save up) since I have the complete motor, heads, and all that stuff. What do you think about using the stock 22T injectors?

I am also considering saving my hybrid build for a better body. My second gen has about 280k on the chassis and I don't know how much longer I want to hang on to it.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you use a rrfpr when you put the 22T in? What AFRs were you shooting for?

I'm still thinking about dropping a complete 22T longblock in my wagon instead of doing a hybrid (to tide me over until I save up) since I have the complete motor, heads, and all that stuff. What do you think about using the stock 22T injectors?

I am also considering saving my hybrid build for a better body. My second gen has about 280k on the chassis and I don't know how much longer I want to hang on to it.

Sorry, haven't been spending time on the 2nd gen section much lately. No rrfpr at this point. I was shooting for 14.5 at idle and ideally below 11 at WOT. I normally run between 11 and 12 at WOT right now. You will need a piggy back for the 22t injectors. I ran them for about 3 days and I was just dumping fuel like crazy. With something built in to pull fuel, 22t injectors would be ideal for the setup.

• 2 months later...
5mt. I wouldn't do launches with it but it holds the power fine. From a rolling start I got WOT to 4k at least once a day. No slipping, no issues.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Just to do an update on this, the tranny did take a crap on me finally. They car will be getting another n/a tranny with blast plates and 4.11 gears for now and we will see how long that one lasts.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on this car?

I've now done a similar setup in 95 Lego wagon. I seem to be getting p0105 code for the pressure solenoid which leads to the pressure sensor. Seems to trigger only when I stay on boost on a "longer than 15 second" pull...basically driving up a tall sloping hills where I live. Did this happen to you? From the engine bay shots, looks like you have the 96+ pressure solenoid/pressure sensor) on the passenger strut tower.

I also managed to get some cash for a wideband. Did you ever get one on the ej22e? I see super lean off throttle, while coasting in gear. I've read this is the factory ecu cutting fuel while coasting. Was curious if you could call confirm.

Also, car is now great to drive. Thanks for being part of the inspiration for me to save an old Subaru from the crusher!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Okay , so I'm new to the car scene and I'm trying to best educate myself on my vehicle. I have a 3rd generation 00 legacy Brighton that I'm looking to turbo charge in the near future. Any suggestions that you have when performing something like this? All is much appreciated, thank you.

Archived