LegacyGT.com

Another....Thinking about selling my Legacy, thread.

I have a 2006 GT 5EAT with 70k

Far as condition, it's pretty close to, if not "excellent". Paint is fantastic, the intirior is as good as you can get for a 8 year old car and what I mean by that is the driver seat, steering wheel, carpets are good, the rest looks new.

The only mod is an MP3 Jack

Any idea what I can expect if I sell it myself?

What about trade?

Kelly puts the :fair" condition value at $16 and good at $18

Kelly puts the trade between $14 and $16.5

Now that seems a bit high. I mean, if I can trade in at 15...I'm sooo there.....

Anyone trade one in in similar condition?

I know being a 5EAT hurts a bit here in the enthusiast community....

Thoughts?

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/csbrown28/Car%20pics/IMG_2257_zpsd8c96d1e.jpg

After I painted on plastidip....It comes off, but has been on for a year and a half...

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/csbrown28/Car%20pics/IMG_4115_zpsc1a3b455.jpg

Close up

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/csbrown28/Car%20pics/IMG_4127_zpsa455c39b.jpg

http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k563/csbrown28/Car%20pics/forum_zpsb3bce9a4.png

From the looks of it, the car is a gem. Why are you considering selling?

I forgot to include that.

So.....I bought my wife an SUV 2 years ago and her job moved her farther away. Now she drives 60 miles a day. Between us, our vehicles both get in the low 20's mpg.

I work about 3 miles from work (thus the very low mileage and the high fuel dilution comment in the oil analysis) so I'm going to take the SUV for a while since I'd take a bath trying to sell or trade hers and sell my car and get her something fuel efficient for her.

I don't owe much on my car so I'd walk away with enough for a sweet down payment on her next car.

Now before anyone says....Man that guy is whipped, I drive the SUV for a few years and I get to trade it on on something I really want!!!

• Moderators

I had a 5eat wagon in northern va. Was very clean inside and out, tastefully modded to stage 2 with good parts, not ebay stuff. Trade in numbers from dealers with me bringing it back to stock was as high as a bit over $10k, IIRC. I sold it for $11,300 private sale--it was a bit less than I hoped, but all in all about what I expected--this was earlier this year, February I think.

$15k in trade for your car is a pipe dream, sorry. If a dealership / lot offers you that much they are just going to get it back from you another way--price of the new car or whatever.

Good luck either way.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Oh, and the 5eats are funny--it will seem like no one out there wants one...EVER...and then all of a sudden there's 5 people looking specifically for a 5eat. Time is your friend if you are willing / able to wait for the right buyer. You have what looks to be a nice car that is unmolested, and that will go a long way for the right interested party.

I had a 5eat wagon in northern va. Was very clean inside and out, tastefully modded to stage 2 with good parts, not ebay stuff. Trade in numbers from dealers with me bringing it back to stock was as high as a bit over $10k, IIRC. I sold it for $11,300 private sale--it was a bit less than I hoped, but all in all about what I expected--this was earlier this year, February I think.

$15k in trade for your car is a pipe dream, sorry. If a dealership / lot offers you that much they are just going to get it back from you another way--price of the new car or whatever.

Good luck either way.

How many miles on your car?

Far as the $15k, I'm under no illusions, I know that's high. I'm hoping for $11,000 on a trade given it's condition, but $10,000 is probably realistic.

On a private sale, $13,500-$15,000 is what I was thinking, with $15,000 probably only to the guy who was looking specifically for a white 5EAT....lol

Oh, and the 5eats are funny--it will seem like no one out there wants one...EVER...and then all of a sudden there's 5 people looking specifically for a 5eat. Time is your friend if you are willing / able to wait for the right buyer. You have what looks to be a nice car that is unmolested, and that will go a long way for the right interested party.

Yea, to give you an example, I looked for a year before I found the Legacy I wanted. I'm willing to hold out on this one as I'm not pressed to sell right this moment.

• Moderators
How many miles on your car?

Far as the $15k, I'm under no illusions, I know that's high. I'm hoping for $11,000 on a trade given it's condition, but $10,000 is probably realistic.

On a private sale, $13,500-$15,000 is what I was thinking, with $15,000 probably only to the guy who was looking specifically for a white 5EAT....lol

Sorry, left that out. Extremely similar, I sold it with approximated 72k miles and just about every bit of maintenance was done--mostly synthetic fluids, a full replacement of the ATF (around 12qts), spark plugs, etc. I had all dealership records for the car through 54k miles and all other maintenance records for my ~20k miles of ownership.

A dealer doesn't give a crap about that, but a private party will.

I just tried to trade in my 07 5MT with 56k miles and was offered just $13k. Car is in as good condition as yours. They claim they were offering me "Retail" at 13k because it was in such good shape. I'm in CT and I'm sure the market vaires from location to location but just to give you an idea...

You have a Carmax in the area? Bring it down and get an appraisal. If your experience is anything like mine has been it will be a joke, but also a baseline on what you might expect as a trade.

Clean retail value for your car is $12,550 according to NADA. This is the price the price that a dealer would be selling the car for. Clean trade-in is $9,925, street value should be someplace in between those two if it's 100% perfect cosmetically and mechanically.

Kelly Blue Book has been very inaccurate in the last few years, ever since cash for clunkers, they have lost a lot of trust in them for this reason. Dealers and banks use Nada to see what to sell it to customers for and how much to loan out.

I just purchased my LGT, during my search I was saddened to find dealers selling them cheaper then private sellers. I gave up looking on Craigslist, and started searching on more mainstream car sites that mainly dealers use.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Thanks guys...Good info. I like to temper my expectations with real world info. Sounds like I'd be fortunate it get $11,000 on a trade and $13-$14.5 if I sell it.

Fortunately my wife is a teacher so we really only need one car in the summer, so I can hold out, sell and wait a few weeks before I pick up her car.

I don't understand why you'd buy a car to "save money". Re run the numbers. Unless you're getting 60-70mpg it never pays. New car losses are years in gas. Higher insurance and dmv fees eat into it. The shock at the pump might be hidden but you'll lose big long term.

You're also being hard on your car with only a 3 mile drive. If this is really about saving money have your wife drive your car 1 week a month to keep your car in ideal shape.

If this is just a reason to have your wife into a new car. Then ignore my comments.

^ + 1, I made the same mistake and kick myself in the Ass every month when I cut the Check, My wife's truck would have been paid off, and I would have the extra $$, but instead I have 4 more years.

^ + 1, I made the same mistake and kick myself in the Ass every month when I cut the Check, My wife's truck would have been paid off, and I would have the extra $$, but instead I have 4 more years.

The rich rules over the poor, And the borrower becomes the lender's slave

When you bought your SUV was she driving 60 miles daily? Do you have kids? Do you need two AWD vehicles in Fredrick County? Many questions I know, but if she was driving 60 miles a day when you were car shopping and yall bought a SUV :rolleyes: If you have a kid(s) could you safely and comfortably transport them to and from in say a camry?

You are so close to paying off the LGT, DO NOT SELL IT! Trust me when that title comes in the mail and it's all your wife's, you'll feel great. Help your wife pay off the SUV or to a point to sell and use that towards something for her, like a used later model vehicle.

You dont want to get stuck on the car payment treadmill.

When you bought your SUV was she driving 60 miles daily? Do you have kids? Do you need two AWD vehicles in Fredrick County? Many questions I know, but if she was driving 60 miles a day when you were car shopping and yall bought a SUV :rolleyes: If you have a kid(s) could you safely and comfortably transport them to and from in say a camry?

You are so close to paying off the LGT, DO NOT SELL IT! Trust me when that title comes in the mail and it's all your wife's, you'll feel great. Help your wife pay off the SUV or to a point to sell and use that towards something for her, like a used later model vehicle.

You don't want to get stuck on the car payment treadmill.

We bought the SUV because our Camry (ironically) had just been totaled. We expected that she would move to a new Job closer to home, but that didn't pan out. Long story...

We have two kids and expect to get a dog soon, another reason to keep the SUV. We also tow a small boat.

We don't need two all wheel drive vehicles and our next one won't be.

Next vehicle will be some type of sedan that gets 20's to 30's in MPG and that will save about $70 a month vs now.

We bought the SUV because our Camry (ironically) had just been totaled. We expected that she would move to a new Job closer to home, but that didn't pan out. Long story...

We have two kids and expect to get a dog soon, another reason to keep the SUV. We also tow a small boat.

We don't need two all wheel drive vehicles and our next one won't be.

Next vehicle will be some type of sedan that gets 20's to 30's in MPG and that will save about $70 a month vs now.

So you keeping the car or still looking for something new?

Lease a volt? Free charging at her office?

So you keeping the car or still looking for something new?

Lease a volt? Free charging at her office?

Still looking for something new....

We looked at a Prius (snore). I said nuh uh.....The Lexus CT200h at least looks cool, but underneath, it's just a Prius...

The search goes on.

How to find a car with reasonable performance that get's low 20's to low 30's

We looked at a Prius (snore). I said nuh uh.....The Lexus CT200h at least looks cool, but underneath, it's just a Prius...

The search goes on.

It sounds like the car you want to buy has nothing to do with saving money so with that truth revealed.

I really like the new IS350. It comes in AWD too if you wanted it. Also has a less powerful IS250 model. I believe the smaller motor get's 30mpg freeway.

Nothing from BMW/Audi/Merc I would touch right now personally.

The Acura line up leaves much to be desired. The TL is really nice in the 6sp but it's not good on gas and the front is well, blah.

Sell both cars and do something like:

1. Get a larger SUV to move everyone - you drive this MPG doesn't matter

2. Buy sedan for wife for her commute. Lexus is a great option and would even be fun for you to drive.

This leaves you with saving some gas on her commute and completely re-works your fleet of cars.

It goes without saying keeping both cars is currently your cheapest option but the idea above gets you into newer cars, offers your wife some gas savings and still keeps your ability to haul the family around.

For a good size SUV I do like the MDX, and in AWD it's a nice foul weather car. The 3rd row is good for kids. If you're willing to go domestic you have some options and I would avoid the german cars. Fall back, mini van. Toyota makes an AWD option too. You can move your family around on the weekends wit plenty of room.

The search goes on.

I'd suggest a VW GTI or GLI. I had a GTI before the subaru and loved it, but I was uncomfortable in it so it had to go. You'll see 30-35 mpg average and get a fun, practical car for 25-30 grand.

Archived