LegacyGT.com

upgrade rear axle spec b

Doogie29th

I just emailed raxles to see if they could do anything. I have another set of axles coming in so I can send one off if they need it.

If that falls through, I'll look into machining wrx hubs to work. What was Subaru thinking though? Just make them the same lol

Talk to Mary at awd tuning. She's in tight with the dss crew and has a high hp spec b

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got something in the works right now with RCV Performance.

After talking for a bit, I found out they manufacture a lot of components for Driveshaft Shop. Since RCV manufactures everything they build, they would have no problem making us axles. From the sounds of it, they also want to get into import aftermarket.

I'll know more after this week, and I'll either drop off my spare axles, or ship them out, depending on my work schedule. RCV is a somewhat local business. Just under 2 hours away from me, and I've dealt with them on multiple occasions during my Jeeping days.

I've explained how specB axles aren't the easiest to come by when doing an STi swap (the person I spoke with was a Subaru guy, so it was quite easy to explain the situation), and are pretty much the only option when doing the swap on a LGT. He said the more people that are interested and willing to get a set, will be a large factor in if they decide to go ahead with the project and start producing axles.

With that being said, I want to start a list with who would be interested in getting stronger rear specB axles. As for the price point, we'd be looking at DSS prices. Maybe slightly higher or lower, depending on how many initial sets will be made.

The list, just for a general idea:

1. Doogie29th

2. Strizzy

3. bnguyenbb6

I have a set of DSS axles at my shop now for my 09 SpecB that I will be test fitting in the next week or so.I've been working closely with Frank and crew at DSS for years and really love what they do and how they treat their customers. I will keep you guys updated.

Was that set made spec b specific or are they the conversion axles? Keep us updated Mary, thanks

They are not conversion axles.

Sadly I don't have much spare time and the shop is very busy but I'll try my best to get my car on a lift to test fit them ASAP and let you know.

Was this just a bar up grade or did DDS make an axle for you?

This is not a bar upgrade. They are full level 5 1200hp axles made by DSS. (man I really want to find time to test fit them so I can update you guys with photos...)

Mary's car is on the lift currently, she should have an update later or sometime tomorrow hopefully.

Yeah you guys got me anxious so I pulled Keith off the dyno so we could test fit these guys tonight.

They didn't work but we got the measurements we need and will be sending them along with my stock axles to DSS ASAP.

My legacy is down waiting on new cams and a new turbo kit so I've got a few weeks before I need them back.

I have been dealing with Tad from DDS since Jan. They cant make the needed axles because of the 25 spline count. wrx has 24 and sti has 27. is what he told me

Hmmm... I've been dealing with Frank since last year. He didn't mention this to me. I will talk to him tomorrow before I send anything out

Man...is it too much to ask for a 1200hp axle for a car they only made 500 of for 3 years lol :lol:

I'm definitely in if there is some sort of solution. If the rear control arm was redrilled to fit an sti hub, could we just use sti rotors, brakes and axles?

Had another conversation with RCV today. I will be sending out my spare axle today, hopefully around my lunch break.

Talking with the engineer, he was asking what part of the axle assembly specifically breaks. I know I had a failure in the CV, but never removed the boot to inspect the failure, as I needed to return it for a core. They want to know what needs to be strengthened, to try and keep costs down a bit, rather than build the strongest possible axle and have it be $1k per side. Which I still wouldn't have a problem with.

Also, if anyone has a broken rear specB axle, please let me know.

I have a feeling good things are going to happen in the coming months.

I just pulled one off my car last night. Do you need to see what broke in it? It broke in the CV but it may have been the axle bar in the CV boot.

I'd be okay at $1k per axle if it was pretty much bullet proof ie.1200hp rated

Archived