LegacyGT.com

New (Old) Tuning Vendor - McDowell Performance Tuning

The biggest difference is the drop off of boost. Compensations can be to DBW settings to help aid in building boost, so tq figures are not far off, but the lack of air limits how well the turbo holds boost beyond 4,800-5, 000+ on a stage 1 set up. That's where the biggest difference is. Peak hp numbers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guy's, I appreciate the etunes that have been ordered, you're keeping me busy! If you're contemplating getting a tune, now is a great time (weather permitting :) )

As most of you know, Cobb does not offer a stage 2 OTS map for the 2012 LGT. If this has been holding you back on going stage 2, I have the solution... Get a custom etune! Thanks for the support and feedback and get your baby tuned!

I haven't seen much of a difference in regular fuel. Winter blends, in regular fuel, technically has a slightly higher octane rating because of additives, such as butane blends, designed to make the vapor pressure of the fuel meet specific state and general requirements. The summer fuel is designed to not evaporate too quickly and winter fuel is designed to the opposite end, so that it makes your car start easier with the cooler air, ect. Stoichiometric ratio can change from a 1:1 standard of 14.7:1 for summer fuel, to as low as 14.3:1 for winter blends. But your car will try and compensate for these differences and make it run properly on winter or summer fuel. The difference is minimal enough that your car should be fine being tuned in either blend.

Short answer, it doesn't affect your car as much as say using 93 vs 91 octane. Compensation tables to the MAF and IAT sensor adjust your afr's to run optimally depending on temperate and elevation.

Stoichiometric ratio can change from a 1:1 standard of 14.7:1 for summer fuel, to as low as 14.3:1 for winter blends. But your car will try and compensate for these differences and make it run properly on winter or summer fuel.

That's why my winter mileage goes to pot! Well, that couple with the fact there is more air mass flow because the air density goes up as it gets colder.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

Everyone!

I appreciate those who have had etunes and who are in the process of etuning. Thank you very much! For anyone on the fence about getting an etune, or not really sure it's worth it, I encourage you to send me an email, or PM with your questions. I can understand the hesitation, but those you have received etunes have been very happy with the results and I think it's one of the best "bang for the buck" modifications you can do. Not only will you see a power increase, the etunes are safer than the OTS and even dyno tuned cars' logs I've received. As a fellow 5th gen owner, I am very familiar with our cars, as well as the 4th gens as I've tuned many and have owned an 06 LGT in the past.

Point being, if you want a tune tailored to your car, it's worth looking into. I pride myself on customer service and satisfaction and love these cars. I'm not happy unless you're happy. Stage 1 or Stage 2 (stock intake and fuel system) tunes are still under the special January price of just $125. Take advantage of the deal. Turn around time for maps and base maps are typically less than 24 hrs (usually a lot less). Please visit the website, like us on facebook and get tuned!

Logan (311logan311) - incase there is any confusion of who this is still :)

Yes Logan, you are super fast with your revisions!!! I emailed you yesterday to talk about a few things and I had a new map in the matter of an hour or two. Way to go with the excellent service!!!

BTW, I got 24 mpg on your last revision with about 50/50 city/highway driving, on winter blend none the less. Woot!!!

Thanks Joe. Let's get some more "McDowell Tuned" LGT'S in those signatures! :)

BTW, I tend to have a hard time controlling my lead foot on the highway (radar detector doesn't help) so congrats on having more self control than me!

Logan, this is more of a general etuning question, but I'm curious how you keep an eye on AFR since the typical stage 1 and 2 doesn't have a wideband. Doesn't the stock sensor just max out at WOT? How do you dial in a safe AFR? Thanks!

Okay,

I've been thinking about a good way to word this, so hopefully it makes sense to a broad range of people. With the stock intake set up and stock fueling, you can get a close estimate of your WOT AFR numbers, based off of the settings of your target AFR parameters set in the tuning software and the actual learned C and learned D AFR trims your AP reads with it hooked up to your car. You want both numbers to be as close to 0% as possible, but there is always going to be some variation (even the stock map).

Going back to the stock intake and fuel tables: Because the car is set up (the stock MAF scaling) to work with this set up, it allows your to re-scale the fuel table parameters, to match the engine loads you'll hit with stage 1 or stage 2. For example, the stock map is scaled at a maximum of 2.6 engine load. At stage 1, even the OTS map hits over 2.8 (which is why the OTS map also has the fuel table different that stock). With this in mind, you have certain target numbers set, in each cell, for what AFR number you want at a given RPM and engine load range. The stock map is extremely rich (about 10.8:1 at peak TQ) which is why some people end up with burnt exhaust valves. The Cobb OTS map leans out The AFR target a bit at peak TQ, but is still pretty rich (about 11.07:1) and continues on to the low 10.x:1 area.

Long story short, I adjust the fuel to a more optimal level, but not anywhere in the dangerously lean area. I then have the target (not peak TQ but the WOT taper) set to hit around 11:1, which is still somewhat conservative, but makes the car run at a more efficient AFR at WOT. The targets are then compared to what the MAF sensor is reading and will let you know how far off (either rich or lean in a percentage) by the learned fuel trim parameters. The reason I mentioned C and D being important is they give you an idea off how the AFR's are going to read beyond what the o2 sensor can measure accurately. If you are 2% off your target at this point, you can plug that percentage into the target you have set to get an idea of what you're actual AFR is at WOT (say trim C is 2% lean and trim D is also 2% lean and your target is 10.88:1, you're actual AFR is probably closer to 11:1, which is perfectly fine).

Again, this works because your intake and injectors are a constant, as is your stock MAF scaling. Once you have altered your intake, or injectors, you will need to use a wideband because the constants you had have been altered and the only way to make sure your MAF is scaled correctly above 80g/s or so, is to have a wideband o2 sensor verify the AFR numbers.

That was a bit more than I was anticipating to write and I'm tired, so if there's something that doesn't make sense or if you're more confused now than before, I apologize and I'm sure someone will point out if I have written something that doesn't make sense, in which case I'll address the concern. Hope that helps :spin:

Alright everyone, it's a new month, which means... pretty much the same. Let's keep the tunes coming in. My fellow 5th gen owners have been very supportive and I appreciate it. If you are running an off the shelf map (or not for you 2012 owners who want to go stage 2) tt will be one of the best mods for $150 you can buy. We have a few tunes coming up, when the weather warms up, with some 20g set ups. Again, my deepest appreciation to those who have purchased an eTune from me; I really appreciate the love. If you have other years/makes of Subaru's, I can tune those too! (I've tuned many more non-LGT's than LGT's). Do yourself a favor and get your baby running safe, yet efficiently. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you have. Get your car McDowell Performance Tuned!

Logan

If anybody is on the fence and currently running Cobb OTS Stage 1, I can tell you that you won't regret having a custom Stage 1 tune from Logan. I noticed a marked difference over the OTS tune. Better throttle response, driveablility and power!!!!

**DECIDED TO CONTINUE THE SPECIAL OF $125 FOR A STAGE 1 OR STAGE 2 ETUNE (stock intake/fueling) FOR THE MONTH OF FEBRUARY**

I want to keep the new customers coming in and appreciate those who have already taken advantage on the etune special. Thanks!

Logan

I really enjoy my McDowell tune and this deal is really worth it. The whole process is pretty fun and it kept me busy for about a week, Logan was also quick to send me the updates. Low to mid range torque is way better than the cobb s1 and makes freeway driving and passing fun... I took a 300 mile trip a couple weeks ago and the car was so smooth even going up hill, with a family of three in the car. I am also ready to get a retune with an updgraded TMIC and diverter for more top end power.

So, if you are thinking about getting this deal/tune....Do it!!! You won't regret it.

Thanks for the business everyone! Maps and revisions sent. I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't mind going to our FaceBook page and "like" us. Thanks! Let's keep the tunes coming in!

Archived