LegacyGT.com

Just Got an 08 Spec B (>29k miles)

So I drove to NJ to pick it up today in the rain.....It drove nice....will shake it out for 3k miles and switch to a synthetic oil

definitely will get a short shifter and replace the bushings

will swap out differential oils, coolant is fresh with a new radiator....

initial impression compared to my old 06 is this feels looser (lol) not in a bad way....

the tires are decent so no worries for a while...

rotors and pads looks decent ( maybe fresh brake fluid? throw on stainless lines if I find some here? )

anyone have other prudent maintenance steps?

211482877_2014-01-1114.thumb.jpg.4e1c88b0c5ca10183fe2b3c277c9b642.jpg

Seriously, WTF is up with the master cylinder brace? Worse F*king mod evar! There is so much slack in the system you'll never notice it until you are running hiem joints & race tires with 6 piston brake systems.

The STi master cylinder upgrade is a far better upgrade, if you going to do things in the wrong order.

Seriously, WTF is up with the master cylinder brace? Worse F*king mod evar! There is so much slack in the system you'll never notice it until you are running hiem joints & race tires with 6 piston brake systems.

The STi master cylinder upgrade is a far better upgrade, if you going to do things in the wrong order.

I take it you're joking.

The firewall is very flexible on these cars. The brace for $80 will take his mushy brakes and dramatically improve them.

There is no sense in putting on a new master cylinder when the problem is the firewall. Sometimes I wonder about your advice. The $80 mod is probably the best single brake mode out there. I could feel a massive improvement and I've had others comment on it as well. Go do some research please.

lol.....yeah not sure I am ready for all that stopping power

It won't shorten stopping distance, the brace that is, it will just take away that mushy feeling you get with the first half of the brake pedal travel. Go research it and you can watch the before and after results for yourself.

Box is an Autocross whore with a highly prepped wagon so I'm pretty sure that he does know what he's talkng about.

That might'v been his sarcasm.

I think he meant you won't realize how much slack/slop there is until you're bangin corners on a track.

That's my guess.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Box is an Autocross whore with a highly prepped wagon so I'm pretty sure that he does know what he's talkng about.

That might'v been his sarcasm.

I hope so. He debated me up and down on brake pads in another thread only to have zero experience with anything other than Hawk. Which in the brake pad industry are nearly trash compound development wise. I'd take his advice with a grain of salt.

I am not mocking the brace but I think for me its better to change the brake lines and fluid as the car is still an 08.... that one would be later down the road , right?

the pads and rotors look brand new.....so no reason to do anything there

Flush everything (as you already suggested), then drive it for a few months. You'll likely find things you'll need to take care of after you drive it for a bit. Even a well maintained 6+ year old car will soon need some wear-and-tear items replaced. If it's a dd, I'd stay away from mods until you get a better feel for the mechanics... my 2 cents...

Why does the car have a new radiator ?

Do you plan to drive the car hard enough to need the brace ?

Get some good brake pads and be done with it.

OH, Get the car off the OEM MAP. Get it tuned so it will not burn valves.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I believe there was a problem with it...not uncommon my 02 WRX one failed prematurely .......

I have a cobb from my 06 that I didn't use...this is my second spec b....I am pretty comfortable in the mods I want to do...even for a daily......

exhaust, (getting a local SPT) catted down pipe either mad dad v2 or cobb catted...

then whiteline sways and endlinks...

don't really drive that aggressive that I need the master cylinder brace....(at least I thought so....) figured fresh fluid and stainless lines would do enough for pedal feel....(Thoughts?)

I had the brake fluid in my 05 replaced this past summer. The pedal felt fine for a few day's, now it feels like it always has. May be I just got used to it...That was the first time it was replaced.

IMO pads make the biggest difference. My 09 Spec has Hawk HPS pads in the front, great cold bite. My wagon has Hawk ceramics all around, the cold bite is not as quick as the Spec's cold bite.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I am not mocking the brace but I think for me its better to change the brake lines and fluid as the car is still an 08.... that one would be later down the road , right?

the pads and rotors look brand new.....so no reason to do anything there

Brake lines should be fine. No harm in changing them out for a stainless line that should last a lot longer. I only noticed a difference in brake lines in spirited mountain driving with a lot of switch backs.

Fluid sure change away :)

...what's wrong with Hawk pads? I don't track but drive spiritedly on the street and their HPS pads were great. Maybe you're confusing them with EBC trash.

Hawk compounds are junk. Their quality control is about that good too. They're better marketing company then they are a brake pad company. They did get a name for themselves and trade heavily on it. Sort of like how so many people swear by mobil 1. But after looking into it you find it's pretty poor syn oil.

Look into how they make their compounds. How they develop more friction. Where and how they build them.

Archived