LegacyGT.com

"50-MPG" 06 Legacy GT CNG(Natural Gas) build"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As far as bio-diesel and SVO go, I did it both ways with my truck. I ended up with a centrifuge system to separate out water and different fat chains for the SVO. The conversion to biodiesel is a hell of a lot more work, requires barrels of chemicals, and just generally requires a lot more resources than a person might expect. It seems like a simple idea until after you get into it. Keep in mind that you're copying many of the processing steps found in a petroleum refinery, so you're essentially building a small oil refinery on your own dime.

I didn't have the time, a space big enough for the barrels or room mates willing to put up with oil everywhere. It was also getting hard to find places willing to hand out free waste oil. Many restaurants have contracts with disposal companies because the waste oil is a biological hazardous material to transport. The restaurants either want money for their oil or the disposal companies get in your face about stealing their business.

Also, the whole catch of biodiesel and veggie oil is that it is only environmentally friendly as long as it is waste oil that would otherwise be disposed of. As far as being a renewable resource, it yields slightly less fuel than it takes to produce (at least in the USA). If there was no fossil fuel input, biodiesel would not be able to sustain its own production, let alone produce an excess. Currently, I don't know of any biological fuels that could sustain their own production.

In the end, I found a local guy that had a junk yard with lots of space who processed veggie oil full time and sold it. He picked up free 1000gallon loads of oil from an industrial food plant, refined it, and sold it for $1/gallon. After doing it myself and seeing the commitment, I was quite happy to pay $1/gallon for oil that was ready to go.

My understanding of home grown was about the same as your experience.

What's interesting is next to coal, oil is the most efficient fuel to recover from the earth.

Natural gas just makes so much sense due to supply and clean burning properties.

Update: The Legacy is running awesome on CNG. Im waiting for a larger regulator to ship from Italy right now so I've been running the car pretty gently for the past 1500 miles(the current regulator gets maxed out under boost, but the new regulator is rated up to 400HP so there shouldn't be any problems with that). But I've gone about 1500 miles in the past 2 weeks so thats a savings of somewhere close to $140 in that two week period. Good gravy this stuff is awesome!

Update: The Legacy is running awesome on CNG. Im waiting for a larger regulator to ship from Italy right now so I've been running the car pretty gently for the past 1500 miles(the current regulator gets maxed out under boost, but the new regulator is rated up to 400HP so there shouldn't be any problems with that). But I've gone about 1500 miles in the past 2 weeks so thats a savings of somewhere close to $140 in that two week period. Good gravy this stuff is awesome!

I'm really liking the CNG conversion. And yours is dual fuel, correct? If you don't have access to CNG, you can just keep running on gas?

I'm interested in the final setup that you are happy with..... so that I might copy it.

I'm really liking the CNG conversion. And yours is dual fuel, correct? If you don't have access to CNG, you can just keep running on gas?

Yes mine is duel fuel, meaning I can run on gasoline OR CNG(not both at the same time). But yes I can just push the button to switch over and have a 5XX mile range total for what ever road trip I go on.

Looking into a custom map for CNG via access port v2-3, I know nothing about access ports or custom maps, could someone explain or direct me to a good map builder that could write a map for 130octane? Also where am I going to find the best price for an access port? Thanks in advance.

My Tuner Mike Kinsman, www.tuningalliance.com he's in the vendor forum here might be able to help. He also sells AP.

Email him

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My Tuner Mike Kinsman, www.tuningalliance.com he's in the vendor forum here might be able to help. He also sells AP.

Email him

Yes email him. He is awesome. Even after a few months of providing a tune for you, he'll be more than happy to follow up on your tune to make sure all is well. Reliable tuner, and quick to respond.

I dated a girl back in the 80s that her grandpa had a 77 Chevy trk that he could switch from gas to bottle gas. He usually ran soully on bottle or propane. I helped him change the oil in it a few times and the oil looked like it was new even with 4000 miles on it the oil was super clean. He said then it was because it doesn't get dirty from the bottle gas. He worked for the gas company so his work truck was the same.

I dated a girl back in the 80s that her grandpa had a 77 Chevy trk that he could switch from gas to bottle gas. He usually ran soully on bottle or propane. I helped him change the oil in it a few times and the oil looked like it was new even with 4000 miles on it the oil was super clean. He said then it was because it doesn't get dirty from the bottle gas. He worked for the gas company so his work truck was the same.

Blow by is really clean on natural gas :)

Yes email him. He is awesome. Even after a few months of providing a tune for you, he'll be more than happy to follow up on your tune to make sure all is well. Reliable tuner, and quick to respond.

/\/\Thanks Guys!

This setup has serious potential for power and economy! :wub:

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice, just saw your post on reddit.

Curious, do you know what the difference between running CNG and LPG is? CNG is cheaper but LPG is more energy dense (better for storage and power).

I know a number of cars in NZ run on LPG but have never heard of CNG vehicles.

Nice, just saw your post on reddit.

Curious, do you know what the difference between running CNG and LPG is? CNG is cheaper but LPG is more energy dense (better for storage and power).

I know a number of cars in NZ run on LPG but have never heard of CNG vehicles.

Very similar actually, with LNG you can use a variety of tank shapes(like the doughnut tank that goes in your spare wheel well) because they don't have to hold up to the huge pressure that CNG does(3600psi). CNG tanks are very high pressure and need the oblong tanks. Im not sure but I think if you swap the Fuel pressure regulator on a CNG car and swap the tank and a few other small things for LNG stuff I think it would run the same.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys, its been a while, but after 7,000 miles running on CNG the Legacy is running great! Here is a video of a little 0-80 run, not as fast as on gasoline but still puts a grin on my face with out the guilt of going broke.

Nice and you can flip between gas and CNG right? And the tune knows the difference right?

Archived