LegacyGT.com

"50-MPG" 06 Legacy GT CNG(Natural Gas) build"

Nice and you can flip between gas and CNG right? And the tune knows the difference right?

Yes I can flip between the two. Right now I'm running on the stock tune but i have the CNG ECU (as I now have two ECUs) tuned to run off the stock map, as soon as I can afford an up pipe/ down pipe, and an APV3 I'm going to get it pro tuned and have the AP switch maps depending on the fuel I'm running.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm confused about what 21 mpg means on CNG. Miles per GALLON of CNG?

Cng is estimated as a comparison in gallons. There is a gallon equivalent when pumping cng into your tank. But cng relies heavily on psi for solid operation and that limits distance and fill amount. But when I fill school buses there is psi number and gallon equivalent shown on our fill station for the cng pumps. They aren't bad to work on. It's a very cool and interesting build. If I had the time and money I would consider it. Only downside with cng is some days out drivers fill 1-2 times in cold weather but in hot weather some can make it two days.

I haven't looked into it, but my father explained that you can get an at-home natural gas compressor and fill up overnight. Sounds like an incredible option for city folks.

Thomas

Had LPG in my LGT and removed it due to smell inside the car and driveability problems in cold weather (under 10F). LPG/CNG is good, when you drive alot, i mean 25k+ miles/year. CNG has high EGT so you cannot improve performance with it. If you want performance, get 5th class LPG system (it works without regulator: fuel tank with high pressure pump-> engine).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! Long time no update, sorry about that. Ive gone about 15,000 miles on CNG so I decided its time to give a good update.

First off, THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!! It has been running beautifully this past 15,000 miles and also very cheaply.

If I average gasoline at $3.75 a gallon at 26.1 MPG, I would have Paid $2,155 in gasoline over the past 4 months.

But CNG being an average $1.65 a gallon, I have only paid $948, that is a savings of $1,207 in just 4 months(granted I do drive quite a bit).

As far as drivability, it drives just like any other GT, just take away about 10 horse or so, which isn't a permanent issue, the car just isn't tuned for CNG yet. Im trying not to get bit by the mod bug so I've been taking it very slow. I just purchased a carless up pipe and will be installing that next week, then a catless downpipe will be next along with a tune by McDowell Performance. After that I should see a significant improvement in power.

Ive also changed the CNG kit a little bit by replacing the reducer with a 400HP reducer for better flow, and yesterday I replaced my 200 lb tank with a 70 lb carbon fiber tank with an auto valve for safety reasons.

Really I love this car on CNG, when ever I drive by a gas station and see some kid filling up his STI and looking ashamed of him self for blowing his whole paycheck on gas it just makes me smile. Whenever I go to the pump and fill up for an average of $6, i giggle like a school girl because I know I can drive this car the way it was meant to be driven but not feel like I'm going broke. Its a damn good feeling.

Well Ill be at the Rallysport Direct car meet this Saturday in SLC, Come take a look and hey maybe ill even take you on a Drive in the Only LGT that is Cheaper than a Prius!

(ps. Ill post some pictures after the rallysport meet.)

(ps again. I started using fuelly a couple weeks ago to see how far $100 would get me, here are the results with a comparison also)

Thanks!

1873435796_photo1.PNG.95fd8fcbb42ac4bcd68e58f5c25fcbed.PNG

164626062_photo2.PNG.650e9829331906afbfa725e71c6294f9.PNG

• 2 months later...
An update with some photos. Everything is the same under the hood beside a catless uppipe and a higher power regulator.

You shall have the OEM Subaru CNG badge though:

http://www.bedug.com/pics/boxer_cng.JPG

453747.png

• 4 months later...
Had LPG in my LGT and removed it due to smell inside the car and driveability problems in cold weather (under 10F). LPG/CNG is good, when you drive alot, i mean 25k+ miles/year. CNG has high EGT so you cannot improve performance with it. If you want performance, get 5th class LPG system (it works without regulator: fuel tank with high pressure pump-> engine).

This is what im doing

Im using a gasoline pump and gasoline fuel injectors

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Fuel efficient LGT...

Wow. Never thought I'd write the above.

No more fuel efficient then any other LGT - just burning a (much) cheaper fuel. :cool:

My 2006 Legacy 2.0R (naturally aspirated) is running on LPG for about 130000 miles now.

Archived