LegacyGT.com

1st Subaru in snow experience

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure it had to do with stopping the car in "1", but no logical reason. It would be like if it was a manual and I stopped the car while neglecting to push in the clutch.

The only thing that comes to mind is that is might be a result of the cold weather. Could have been the IAC valve sticking, or - since you said you had it in '1' - the torque converter might have not unlocked quickly enough (everything operates sluggishly in that kind of cold until it warms up) and stalled out the engine.

I have to agree with Kenny, though. I think a lot of you guys are vastly over-thinking / over-analyzing how your vehicles drive. Drive in the snow. Get used to it. You'll be fine. If the ABS is kicking in, it's because you were braking too hard for the conditions. If you were braking too hard for the conditions you were driving too fast. If the rear end slides out around a turn, you were driving too fast for the conditions. If the front end plows off the road in a turn, you were driving too fast for the conditions. If you have trouble getting going on slick surfaces, your tires are crap, and/or you're giving the car way too much gas.

Yep, it was 18 degrees- I also noticed the wiper arms would barely move where they pivot (need some WD-40), so the cold weather probably was affecting things. I will try the downshifting to 1, then stopping the car again in my neighborhood, when I don't have somebody behind me like I did this morning, and see if the car stalls again.

As for the winter driving in my 4EAT Subaru vs. my 5 speed 4X4 Nissan truck- I'll just need to get used to the Subaru with the automatic after driving a manual in the snow for 25 years. I was actually all set to sell the truck, but I'll keep it at least thru this winter.

I used to own a automatic Impreza and two auto Foresters, then I switched to a manual like it's said above it's a night and day difference in how much control you have..

Now having said that I can't wait to get back in my car 3 months is far too long.. it's sat so long I've was able to do things like powder coat the intake manifold red and put a wrx shift knob in..

Haven't been boarding yet :(

I like how easy it is the control the 5 speed Leggys/Prezas' however I also like the torque distribution of the Automatic. Either way you can't go wrong if you have a decent set of tires and can drive....

• 3 weeks later...
We only have 3" of new snow here in central VA- not a lot, but enough to be slippery. Haven't been out in yet, but I'll be driving my Nissan 4X4 to work tomorrow and I think my son will drive the Subie to college when they open at noon.

Up here in North Idaho we get plenty of snow. And honestly, yes snow tires are much better in the cold temps and conditions. But I've had all seasons that have made me consider not getting snows. The Conti DWS is a great tire for winter traction. I have those on my Acura and had no issues last winter. I drove with siped Toyo's that were on the wear bars one winter with my Subaru. And I got around very well all winter. And I was poor and couldn't afford new tires at the time but nevertheless I was surprised.

I haven't had the ABS issue that many of you explain though. Maybe brake further ahead of time to avoid it? But it could also be attributed to the tires. My mom's Outback has half worn Cooper CS4s on it and those are awful. She was skidding and sliding all the time even when going only 5-10 mph around a corner.

For the last couple winters I've had Hankook W409s that are studded on both cars and those have been great. It's nice having the added assurance and grip of snow tires but I'm still never opposed to just having all seasons, as long as they are good/higher end ones.

I went sideways yesterday getting on a wide on-ramp I've got full winter tires on, man when the tires hooked up you sure feel it.. I can only have too much fun as I forgot my short block engine is still in the back of the car.

had some more fun tonight at a local spot i know. was great drifting around an s bend road that leads to a 90 degree left turn to go back around the warehouse, and anyways a bug eye sti was trying to keep up and just spun out, it was so funny.

I went sideways yesterday getting on a wide on-ramp I've got full winter tires on, man when the tires hooked up you sure feel it.. I can only have too much fun as I forgot my short block engine is still in the back of the car.

I was rallying some twisties and dumped my 205 heads over and the shimless buckets fell out. :redface:

Archived