LegacyGT.com

Used Subarus, What To Check?

Recently I bought a used 2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT with 34K miles on it. I know many people who purchase Subaru, especially turbo charged ones may not be the gentlest on the vehicle. The main reason for this thread would be to get any suggestions on what items to change out after purchasing a used Subaru with really any mileage.

So far I have changed out the air filter (which was REALLY nasty), cabin air filter, and windshield wipers. When I purchased the vehicle from the Honda dealership, they told me that it recently had an oil change, new tires, alignment and the "Used Vehicle Inspection". Those would also be things I would want to verify are correct when purchasing a used vehicle. The car recently passed the 30,000 miles point but I would almost 100% guarantee that the Subaru 30k service was not completed, which I will be doing very soon.

If you did not read any of that above, answer the simple question:

After buying a used Subaru, what are the main items that need to be replaced or inspected?

I think you're on the right track with all this. I lived it last summer buying privately and prepping the car for the required "safety inspection" all cars in Ontario have to pass before ownership can change. I replaced worn wipers; cracked foglights (expensive!); headlamp bulbs to get it on the road. Since then I've changed differential and tranny fluids; rustproofed the car; replaced the battery; air cleaner; oil (twice now); and claybarred & three-layer waxed.

I gather the standard used car dealer oil change is just that, an oil change. Check to see if the filter looks brand new and don't be surprised if it isn't.

the first thing you do when you buy any used car - you change oil. Doesn't matter what stealership told you. Maybe they changed it maybe they didn't, maybe they have put quality oil in there or maybe they've put piss generic oil that they put it all hondas like ......5d-20 ???? You don't know and they don't care. Do yourself a favor and put Shell Rotella 5w-40 in there and whatever 5th gen tranny gurus recommend for you car. Extra S is a safe bet I think. If you have cash to spare I would do compression test. I wouldn't touch anything else on that car until 60k.

Since you are due for your 30k this is what we include in our 30k service and would suggest for anyone buying a new-to-them used subaru:

Brake Fluid Flush

Engine oil change w/synthetic 5w30 (Motul, Amsoil, or other high quality fluid) w/OEM Oil Filter

Trans and diffy fluid changes with Motul Gear 300 or Amsoil Severe Gear or Subaru ExtraS fluid

Air Filter

Coolant if the car does not have the Subaru Super Long Life (Blue Coolant) in it.

That is what's required on a Turbo Subaru at 30k miles and what we would do on a newly acquired car.

If you can afford it do a compression test as well.

You can find a list of the fluids we use and what we do for our customers on our website as well.

-Mike Paisan

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/153798190.jpg

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.

Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

Yeah the 30k check is VERY expensive (429.00$) and is pretty important from what I have heard, just gotta save up for it...

If you consider $429 "VERY expensive," and that is something you need to save for, maybe a turbo Subaru isn't the car for you. Or maybe consider doing your own wrenching?

There are posts all over these boards about owners who couldn't afford basic maintenance, put off a fix (or spent their $ on Brotas), and ended up paying at least ten times as much as that overpriced 30k dealer service. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Either way, good luck with whatever you choose to do!

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

• 1 month later...

When you first get a car that is the best time to get a factory service manual and spend a day going over everything in it. Figure out where stuff is and what it looks like, these cars in my experience are not hard to work on with the right information. I bought my fsm on ebay for instant download for like $10. Great investment.

If finances are an issue, then try to do as much as you can yourself, and use other's experience to make it easier. I got a fumoto valve to make oil changes quick and easy, which gives me no excuse but to do them on time. I also ordered wix filters from rockauto for 4.97 each along with some parts for my dads car. If you plan ahead you can save a lot of $$ in the long run. A lot of what the dealer is going to do is just checking different fluids. The 30k interval is really a lot of inspecting which is a good time for learning, if you aren't comfortable doing a service maybe you can find a member in your area that would be willing to help you learn.

Dealer service is expensive, whether it is worth it or not is subjective. I would rather check different things like brakes, plugs, air filters, more or less when I have a chance to keep a running tab of their condition so I know what to expect for a change interval. If you do a little at a time then you won't need to do an entire service in one sitting and can probably whittle that $429 down significantly.

I really don't believe that a dealer is going to change perfectly clean brake fluid simply because the manual says to, and honestly I wouldn't either. If I was doing my brakes then the time is right to do it period. Be aware just because the service says that xx fluid should be replaced doesn't mean it will be, if you go with the dealer make sure they are performing the recommended services because that is what you are paying for. Replace means replace...

The problem with dealers in my experience is they are hit and miss, and the ratio about 50:50. I think you're best to find an independent shop that specializes in the brand of car you drive. Volkswagen are popular around here but the two people I know who own them take them to an independent garage for all service.

Get the car off the factory MAP. It has a timing flaw in it that will cause problems later on.

My Tuner www.tuningalliance.com a vendor here in the Vendor Forum had a thread about it.

Contact him and get a custom tune, that's the best thing you can for the car.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Get the car off the factory MAP. It has a timing flaw in it that will cause problems later on.

My Tuner www.tuningalliance.com a vendor here in the Vendor Forum had a thread about it.

Contact him and get a custom tune, that's the best thing you can for the car.

Sorry Max, but a stock car with stock tune should work fine. It's never a good idea to move a stock car off of it IMO. Just my opinion though.

-mike

Archived