LegacyGT.com

Climate Control has a ECON Function

Hey Everyone, A few people have been asking about this in another thread so thought I would post it for everyone. The climate control has an ECON function which saves fuel and is less labour intensive on the motor. To turn the ECON function on in AUTO or A/C mode, please follow the below 1. Jump in the car and turn the car on 2. Hit the AUTO button once, this puts the system into Automatic mode and the temp you have set it on. 3. Hit the AUTO button again and a little logo should appear under the AUTO sign that says ECON, this is when you know the system is in ECON mode. 4. If you dont want it on AUTO mode but still want to have A/C on but in ECON mode, follow step 1,2 and 3 again. As soon as you change the temp or any settings the AUTO will go off but will still remain in ECON mode. This function will stay on as long as you have the A/C function running regardless if you stop and restart the car. Any other questions, just let me know. Also Note:- Under hard acceleration, the car will turn off the A/C momentarily and will come back on automatically once the car has returned to normal revs.

Yes the system will still remain on but instead of the compressor being on most of the time, it does cut in and out to stable the temp inside the car regardless if AUTO or A/C mode is on in ECON mode.

Jim To get out of ECON mode, just hit the off button and hit AUTO again or A/C. Thats curious throttle, as Im sure that would be a standard option built into the actual climate control system. Has anyone else noticed this on the USDM model??

[quote name='agctr']Jim To get out of ECON mode, just hit the off button and hit AUTO again or A/C. Thats curious throttle, as Im sure that would be a standard option built into the actual climate control system. Has anyone else noticed this on the USDM model??[/quote] I tried it this evening and it doesn't appear to have it. On other cars, like the Mitsu Diamante, the "econ" setting is usually turned on by pressing the AC button. AC once and AC comes on. AC twice and AC Econ comes on. Push it a third time and it shuts off. Again, I couldn't get this feature to work on my XT.

Bummer, I actually liked the "econ" button on my old Toyota Corolla FX16. Maybe there's a way (ECU code that can be input by the dealer) to enable this in the USDM car? I'd tend to think the "feature" is there in all the markets, just not turned on in the US. Anyone?

Guest *Jedimaster*
No biggie. To be honest, I would have preferred manual controls. I like the push buttons, but the auto setting on a hot day set to AC just blows cold air forever- I'd imagine it eventually turns the fan speed down, but not soon enough for me to not take it out of auto.

Well yes I know what you mean, the AUTO function does sometimes take a while to lower the speed of the fan although if you want to do this adjust the temp up or down as necessary. As soon as you do this, the fan speed will either increase or decrease as required.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Y'know, it could be. Hadn't thought of that. BTW, I was on my way to work today and turned the AC on and all this mist came out- man does that AC unit work well! It was pretty hot out and I had the moonroof open, so I guess the cool air hit the warm air and made the mist. Scared me at first- there was so much of it I thought something happened and the car was smoking.

I still think there may be (an as yet unpublished) code to program the USDM cars to allow this Econ function. I bet it's just software that is present, just needs to be enabled, like DRL, etc. The BMW 3-series forums are full of codes for "features" that the dealers can turn on and off. They might not be enabled for the US market cars, but they're still present (or vice versa).

LOL Jedi, atleast you know the aircon works and have to agree that the air can get very cold in there, their systems work fantastically. Good Point RD, would be interesting to see if any one person could get their hands on a book that contained all the codes. Im sure that feature would have to be there as I wouldnt think they would have totally different setups for each country. If anything you would hope that they would be pretty similar.

The car is a MY04 Liberty GT Premium. Just picked it up last week. It's got the climate control. I did as you said. 1. Switch the Climate control to auto 2. Press the auto button again No ECON. Looking closely as the display, you can see all the symbol that are available even when not lit up. It doesn't appear the the word ECON is there at all. Regards John Di Martino

Archived