LegacyGT.com

"Let the shoosting begin!"...Goldmember

Ok, I've got my flame retardant suit on.

Here goes....:rolleyes:

I've always been a proponent of the fact that these cars are difficult to part with due to the fact that there's nothing comparably priced, with similar performance out there. Well, I recently test drove a 2009 Wolkswagen CC VR6 4Motion. Except for lacking the manual transmission my car possesses, it comes pretty close. Has anyone had the opportunity to experience this? If so,( or not) Just curious as to what would be a deterrent for any of you. Now again, the question or post is primarily targeted to those with the dilema of having to do extensive or repetitive repairs to an LGT or walking away from it for a 'sub-standard' mode of conveyance, so to speak.;)

P.S. I know this may irk a few but just be kind in your responses.

I have always like the look of that car. Just not sure about the repair historys, but I hear, being a german car=not cheap to repair.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

VW/Porsche/AUDI=it's own set of foibles (believe me, I worked on my sisters Jettas and Passats for 10 years before she FINALLY got rid of them completely) and EVERY one of those foibles are two things: E X P E N S I V E and require S P E C I A L T O O L S that are also expensive. Add that to poor electrical (inside the car) quality which is also expensive and generally, you are in a spot where pretty much everything you do is expensive. Oh....did I mention that they're expensive to work on? That AND a lot of it is (believe it or not) worse to work on than Subaru. There are a LOT of parts that are dealer only, much more than Subaru and they're REALLY expensive.

Don't forget this too....they're EXPENSIVE to repair. :)

I don't agree with the expensive everything mentality that people have toward VW's.

I've had several over the years. Yeah, some things are more expensive than others but I find that true with almost any make of vehicle.

As far as the electrical quality being poor, again I have not experienced this on a wide range of vw's over the years.

The biggest thing I've found is that they're generally mis-understood by the average mechanic. Once you know the VW's they're not that bad.

About the only "special" tools that jump to my mind are the triple square bits, if you want to call those special and specific timing belt tools. The timing belt tools can be true for lots of other makes too though.

This is all just my personal experience.

OP, if you like the car and it all checks out get it. I don't think you'll be sorry.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

• Mega Users
I have a friend with a cc. Its pretty comparable to a stock lgt in performance. Its still pretty new, so no major issues yet. Interior is very nice. Vw has improved a great deal over the years. They aren't as unreliable as they were in the 90's and early 2000's.

If you're willing to buy new and stay in warranty and/or buy extended warranty you'll find it less of a problem. Generally speaking you'll find VW's to be less reliability and hard to work on. It's as if the German's have over engineered some components and then cut corners elsewhere.

Friend of mine works at VW and there is an O2 sensor that fails on occasion. It's placed in such a fashion the tranny has to be dropped to get to it. Talk about work. I'm not certain on the specifics but when it was mentioned to higher ups he was told they don't fail enough to be considered a problem. Yet when that little part fails it's a massive bill.

Personally I wouldn't be in a hurry to own VWs. All the stories of friends and family who have owned them recently (last 10 years) have been filled with bad stories. One includes a leased car so badly made it was in the shop for nearly half a year. Finally the dealership refused to work on it any further.

^ This is what I fear. I know Subies fairly well. I'm getting to the age where I don't have the zeal to tinker with cars as much as I used to. I do, however, would like to take care of the lil things; and unnecessary work to remove stuff like O2 sensors would drive me crazy. I think if it becomes cost effective to get an extended warranty, that would surely help.

VW cars are BMW and Audi's ginnie pig. From their electrical to their plastic water pumps that fail every 4k miles. If you LOVE VW's and LOVE working on cars all the time by all means get one. I had to replace a whole engine bay worth of electrical wiring because of a faulty ground that short and fried everything. My advice would be stay in warranty range and when its over sell it asap!

Just wanna say thanks for the replies. Just to give an update. My car is finally tuned and it's running the best since I've had it. Tuning Alliance ( Mike) handled me with an eTune. Feels like I have a brand new car; guess due to the fact that the engine only has 6K. So Mr VW CC thanks but no thanks... I'm good.( Maybe when this LGT dies) Fingers crossed, but this baby will take me through the winter.

Archived