LegacyGT.com

How good are Subaru's in the Snow?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

much more secure but don't forget it can only stop as good as the tires you have on.

thats why we replace the oem "suckstones"

pick-up in the rain and snow- press on gas and go.(laugh at others at the stop light)

through highway puddles- keep gas pedal constant and it works straight through.

no matter what tired you have, even with awd and good snows, that doens't mean u will have a smooth ride through snow/other dangerous climate conditions. we are driving sedans, and there are many situations that we just cannot beat. but the subaru is a very good car in shit weather, compared to others.

No matter what mechanical systems or electronic systems are in a car, you still can't defy the laws of physics. AWD will do slightly better than FWD and significantly better than RWD. But AWD will not let you fly though a 15 mph turn at 60 mph, nor will it let you stop on a dime on ice. The one big advantage is you have 4 powered wheels to get you moving instead of two. Beyond that, you will have to deal with laws of physics just like any other car.

you are only good as your tires.

Other than that, being stuck in the snow isnt much of a problem, it's over-reving and digging a hole in the snow to where the chassis sits on top of the snow becomes an issue. Drive with caution as usual.. a car can only do so much, it's the driver that knows how to make the car do what it needs to do.

Keefe

Keefe

I am new to my 05, but I had a 97 gt with 4 snows for the winter and it was the best vehicle I evr had in the snow - ever and that includes, 4x4 pick ups, and 4x4 suvs.

The low CG is very helpful. I would go up to the mountains and blow into unplowed parkinglots and watch peoples jaw drop.

UNREAL - again, I had 4 snows

Other than that, being stuck in the snow isnt much of a problem, it's over-reving and digging a hole in the snow to where the chassis sits on top of the snow becomes an issue. Drive with caution as usual.. a car can only do so much, it's the driver that knows how to make the car do what it needs to do.

Keefe

+100

Well said.

Keefe

i don't have that problem. :lol:

I heard you have to keep your foot on the gas if you hit a big puddle. I've heard stories where they let go and they hydroplaned and wrecked their car. Seems odd.

when you dont push the throttle down, the tires wont turn cuz the tires start to slow down, when they dont turn, the tires wont sipe the water out.. when you don't sipe water, you hydroplane.. makes sense?

Keefe

Keefe

jerami1981 pulled my 2000 Maxima out last December on the stock Blowtenzas. He was able to follow my Mom's Xterra through everything but the deep stuff (20+") with no issue. Had he had snow shoes (or possibley even good all-seasons) I am sure he would have been even more capable.

Let me put it this way - I am finding myself hoping for snow this season so I can laugh at it too.:lol:

first get snow tires. second just hit the gas gently and you will be on your way.

no matter how fast u can star remember that you also have to stop, and with out good tires you won't be able to do it properly.

subarus handle themselves just fine in snow. u can even do spins in them . ops , did i say that ?

Meh . . . don't buy a Subbie for the snow. . . you can't get ANYWHERE in one. :lol:

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/Dec%2028%202003/122803-17.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/Dec%2028%202003/122803-18.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/Dec%2028%202003/122803-20.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/Feb%206%202004/Sti-Snowboard-020604-02.JPG

http://69.73.145.197/yukonart/2005-01-06/STiSnowRack-20050106-01.JPG

There is a reason Subaru's are the official car of Alaska.

My winter tires go on Sept. 15. The tire of choice: Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

Sure, they're expensive but with less than 20-square inches of contact patch you want all the help stopping you can get.

Like Scotty said, you can never disobey the laws of physics. Thus, proper caution is always due in snowy/icy weather. Defy physics at your own peril.

Always mind your stopping distances, always mind turns. And always remember that ABS is not always helpful in emergency situations in the snow/ice, and again exercise due caution.

And like many other members have said, you're also only as good as your tires. If you are truly, truly concerned about winter driving, getting a set of good winter shoes for your LGT should at least be budgeted, that way, if and when you feel that the change is necessary, you'll have the means to do so, if not done outright.

:)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived