LegacyGT.com

How good are Subaru's in the Snow?

I generally don't buy cheap stuff, (you get what you pay for)but I was really surprised at the performance a set of mastercraft glacier grips offered on my last couple of cars. I am not sure who actually makes these tires (?cooper)but they were very good on the wallet, wear, and in the snow/ice.

I also had a set of dunlop glacier grips from a tirerack winter pkg and they wer terrible.

I ran mastercrafts on my last gt and contourSVT. I ran the dunlops on my Maxima. All were 5spds.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AWD does absolutely nothing to help you stop. It gets you going especially in deeper snow. As far as turns in winter conditions it is debatable whether having AWD helps corning traction.

Basically drive prudently and you will figure out the limits.

The point that awd doesnt help you stop has been pointed out several times. However, most people over use the brakes, and "often" the gas will get you out of a bad situation and AWD is nice then. Also, awd doesnt "push" into a corner like fwd in the snow, and this may keep you on the road.

AWD does absolutely nothing to help you stop. It gets you going especially in deeper snow. As far as turns in winter conditions it is debatable whether having AWD helps corning traction.

Basically drive prudently and you will figure out the limits.

I agree...I've driven a rear wheel drive car (with Michelin Pilot Alpins) through the last 6 Pittsburgh Winters with very few problems....and I can't count the times I've driven in some pretty nasty conditions and seen AWD vehicles littering the ditches when I'm not having any troubles...so many people with AWD vehicles think they can defy the laws of physics...not. And like others have said...it's all in the tires. You wouldn't want to play football on a muddy field in bowling shoes...would you? You have to have the right equipment.

I've also driven FWD and have spent a little time in an BMW X3 3.0 in the snow...for handling in snowy conditions, I prefer to have a RWD or AWD...FWD stinks - no way to steer with the throttle. For trying to start from a dead stop on a hill...AWD or FWD. This is where RWD is terrible.

I'm looking forward to driving the Subie in the snow this winter...should be a lot of fun.

There is a reason Subaru's are the official car of Alaska.

My winter tires go on Sept. 15. The tire of choice: Nokian Hakkapeliitta.

Sure, they're expensive but with less than 20-square inches of contact patch you want all the help stopping you can get.

september 15??? wtf?? and i thought oct 15 was too early when i like to put my winter tires on. those are some $$$ tires to put on so early in the season when there's NO SNOW! lol. we didn't get a decent snow fall last winter (or the past 4 winters) until late October (maybe) through mid November. i'm not complaining!

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I live in rural Maine, over a mile down a private dirt road, and had absolutely no problem last winter with my '05 WRX with stock tires. I had originally planned to get snow tires but decided against it after the first major snow storm. My road was unplowed, snow up to the bumper, and it drove through no problem. I started to look forward to driving to work on snow days- such a blast. My LGT likely won't be as good in the snow as the Rex but I still plan to keep the stock tires on all winter.

I don't plan to drive my car in the snow. Snow is not good for the intercooler and might mess up my all-wheel-drive system.:D Seriously, as has been stated before, AWD doesn't make you invincible. It does increase your mobility, and safety if used properly. I recommend taking any car to an empty lot after it snows and drive around to get a feel of what the car can and can't do. Acceleration, braking, turning, etc. It's far better than finding out in an emergency situation. However, the stock tires leave a bit to be desired. Especially in bad weather. Replace the RE-92's (with at least a better all-season tire, which isn't hard to do) and you're well on your way. With a little time behind the wheel, you might actually find your car to be fun in the snow. I do.:dm:

Snow Driftin':cool:

:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

Nokian Hakkapeliitta.
+1

I had these on my Integra GSR and went through 5 years of Boston winters with nary an issue. The only time I almost got stuck was when i was in slow moving traffic and suddenly hit an unplowed section of 10" of snow. Even then I had enough traction to wiggle myself free...

september 15??? wtf?? and i thought oct 15 was too early when i like to put my winter tires on. those are some $$$ tires to put on so early in the season when there's NO SNOW! lol. we didn't get a decent snow fall last winter (or the past 4 winters) until late October (maybe) through mid November. i'm not complaining!

True, Anchorage didn't get much snow until November last year. My other cars have been fwd -- I've not hesitated to put on the snow tires ASAP.

I don't really want to be caught in the snow with the RE92's either. (shudder)

Did it starts snowing already ? Where do ya live ? I s'pose they're decent, better in the snow than the average car, just the way they come off the dealer's lot. Change the tires with winter specs like everyone says and you got yourself a little monster.

Ditto what Scotty said. My 05 Legacy GT LTD is my second (offspring is now driving my first -- a 2000 Legacy GT LTD) and I couldn't be happier. This car is the most sure-footed vehicle I have ever driven. Keep the speed down, don't brake fast -- you know -- all the rules they told you the first time you drove in the snow. Good tires make snow (and rain) a manageable experience.

Guest JessterCPA

My LGT has outperformed my 2001 Jetta, my wife's old 2000 Volvo S40, and my wife's current 2004 TSX combined. I'm not even going to comment on how a 240sx handles in the snow.

I live at the top of a hill. 4 roads lead there. All uphill. Been stuck 4 times in the old cars (and had to turn around & hang out at my parents' house till the plows came through). Subie went right up. My driveway has a decent slope to it also. Never a prob in the LGT.

Of course, use your brain.

True, Anchorage didn't get much snow until November last year. My other cars have been fwd -- I've not hesitated to put on the snow tires ASAP.

I don't really want to be caught in the snow with the RE92's either. (shudder)

even with the crappy tires, i'm POSITIVE the LGT will handle much better than my previous car even with the studs.

i still plan to get winter tires though, as they are life savers, literally. how much did your hakapelita's run you? did you use the stock 17's rims?

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I took my 97 Outback out in the blizzard of 03 (3+ feet in Colorado) just for fun- It was THAT good in the snow. I was running Pirelli P9000's (all seasons) at the time. I did get stuck once (briefly) but I was trying to pull a U-turn in the middle of the street...and even then the car got moving again without me having to leave the driver's seat.

BTW those are some awesome videos!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived