LegacyGT.com

06 lgt courtesy light burns out every 2-3 years

Seems to be strange, I first thought that it could be the system voltage, but I assume that it is connected to the interior light that only goes on with door open and they tend to live for a decade or so...

Or is it staying lit all the time - even when the door is closed? Might be hard to see, but worth to check.

Otherwise I would suspect a vibration issue. A different bulb brand or as stated LEDs.

453747.png

Thanks to your reply I think I doped out the total picture. Every couple of years or so the battery goes dead. Charging system is ok, battery is well within the guarantee period. Has happened since new. Best guess was that something was staying on after car was shut off. Could never get a code as the system was dead. Usually only occurs when the car has sat for a couple of days with no use. Jump start with a battery charger and all is ok. Theory is that the light stays on (sometimes) and that is what drains the battery. Where and what is the timer called that controls the eventual turning off of the roof courtesy light. That sounds like it would solve the problem. Part number would be great if anyone knows it.

Could possibly be a BCM issue with the light perhaps coming on half mast as the battery goes dead and staying on. I've seen it happen in Chryslers where the interior lights will come on halfway if the battery begins to be low on charge and then the lights will stay on until the battery is dead.

Disconnect the battery when your car is sitting for a while or use a float charger ($10 at Harbor Freight) and it will keep the battery up no matter how long you leave it sit.

I believe our controllor is called a Body Integration Unit.

I'd go LED anyway, they look really nice.

There's got to be a drain somewhere.

If you don't have a Multi-meter, connect a 12v test light inline between the negative battery cable and the negative post on the battery and see how much the bulb lights up, if at all.

Is there any wiring on your vehicle that is not OEM?

I awlays start there for drains.

Self proclaimed PNW Craiglist find of the day Champion, April 2014.

Thanks to your reply I think I doped out the total picture. Every couple of years or so the battery goes dead. Charging system is ok, battery is well within the guarantee period. Has happened since new. Best guess was that something was staying on after car was shut off. Could never get a code as the system was dead. Usually only occurs when the car has sat for a couple of days with no use. Jump start with a battery charger and all is ok. Theory is that the light stays on (sometimes) and that is what drains the battery. Where and what is the timer called that controls the eventual turning off of the roof courtesy light. That sounds like it would solve the problem. Part number would be great if anyone knows it.

I noted on my car that the courtesy light as you call it didn't go off on my car when the interior lights went off when I was standing still with open door for some time.

Maybe you should check the door switch to make sure that the switch actually works as it should and is correctly seated? Start with the simple things first instead of blaming the BIU.

453747.png

Checking the wiring diagram I can now exclude the BIU entirely.

The courtesy light - or rather "door step light" as it is called is connected directly to a fuse with continuous power and to the door switch without involving the BIU at all. Why - well, that's a mystery you will have to ask Subaru about, but anyway, here's the circuit (colorized to enhance).

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/il1.png

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/il2.png

http://www.bedug.com/pics/Subaru/il3.png

I would definitely suspect the door switch to be faulty, or as an alternative that the wire "E" is shorted to ground somewhere along the path to the door switch. It should be easy to determine, just access the switch with the door open, disconnect the wire and if the lamp stays on with the switch disconnected you have a shorted wire.

453747.png

The wiring pics are for a 5th gen, but the wiring for that light is very similar on the 4th gen, except that the door switch is a single pole instead of a dual pole switch.

And 2 to 3 years means that the lifetime of the bulbs there have been about 20k hours, which seems to be a decent lifetime for an ordinary bulb.

453747.png

I believe our controllor is called a Body Integration Unit.

I'd go LED anyway, they look really nice.

There's got to be a drain somewhere.

If you don't have a Multi-meter, connect a 12v test light inline between the negative battery cable and the negative post on the battery and see how much the bulb lights up, if at all.

Is there any wiring on your vehicle that is not OEM?

I awlays start there for drains.

Pffffffffttttttttttttt....:argue::lol:

Archived