LegacyGT.com

Replaced all plugs and coils, still getting 13mpg

How's your O2 sensor(s)?

Mine shakes quite a bit and my mileage is shit, but that's also because my O2 isn't sending a proper signal (Have CEL, though), so I'm sure it's not fueling right. (Read: dumping fuel)

I'd seriously consider investing in a Cobb AP if you haven't already. You're clearly gonna dump more money into the car anyway -- You can find 'em used on CL, or new from Cobb for about $650. And having the ability to base tune, plus pull codes and run multiple maps -- it's the best money you can spend on your car.

I had the 02 sensors replace when I put my exhaust on, they should be fine but I had the issue before they were put on.

I'd love to get an AP, not in the budget right now

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had the 02 sensors replace when I put my exhaust on, they should be fine but I had the issue before they were put on.

I'd love to get an AP, not in the budget right now

Buy a usb to obdII cable and load romraider on your laptop. $20 solution vs $650 if you want to see what is happening with your motor via it's sensors.

It shouldn't improve MPG. It might cut down on oil use if stuck.

There was another guy in this thread that mentioned around 4mpg gains. It actually makes sense... if it's stuck open, boost will go into the crankcase and cause resistance for pistons. If it's stuck closed you are not sucking in the fuelly blow by that can be reburned, with a properly working O2 sensor that should cut back how much fuel is injected aka better mpg.

Buy a usb to obdII cable and load romraider on your laptop. $20 solution vs $650 if you want to see what is happening with your motor via it's sensors.

This, for just datalogging opensource all of the way. If you plan on reflashing it, get a Tactrix cable ($150), they are known to 100% work.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

There was another guy in this thread that mentioned around 4mpg gains. It actually makes sense... if it's stuck open, boost will go into the crankcase and cause resistance for pistons. If it's stuck closed you are not sucking in the fuelly blow by that can be reburned, with a properly working O2 sensor that should cut back how much fuel is injected aka better mpg.

This, for just datalogging opensource all of the way. If you plan on reflashing it, get a Tactrix cable ($150), they are known to 100% work.

I'm not meaning to start a debate but it would have to be a massive amount of pressure to change 4mpg on 20mpg. You're talking about a 25% decrease over a pressure change.

I can also tell you that while I had a completely stuck PCV and low comp in cycl 2 and 4. I still got the same MPG. The ECU isn't correcting for resistance on the cyl. It's putting in the A/F ration it's programmed too.

PVC is strictly emissions related.

Could the O2 sensor stop working and not throw a CEL?

no it cant. the o2 goes even off a little it will give you a light.

Actually yes it can. When I did my uppipe install I killed my front O2 sensor (my own stupidity), city driving no cel's all was well. As soon as I started going 60mph for more then 5 miles Cruise would start flashing but still no cel. I would turn off the car, start it and cruise flashing was gone.

Best way to know if your O2 sensor is having issues is wideband....

I'm not meaning to start a debate but it would have to be a massive amount of pressure to change 4mpg on 20mpg. You're talking about a 25% decrease over a pressure change.

I can also tell you that while I had a completely stuck PCV and low comp in cycl 2 and 4. I still got the same MPG. The ECU isn't correcting for resistance on the cyl. It's putting in the A/F ration it's programmed too.

PVC is strictly emissions related.

Your right it's not THAT much, though if they did a lot of mountain driving, you would be in boost a good bit.

22 Ascent STOCK

I read today that Cobb very recently released some new software that will allow you to dial in an accurate MPG readout even with bigger injectors when using their ProTuner software.

Can you post a link? This is something I want to get corrected, not so much for accurate MPGs but for how far I can go in what I have left in the tank.

Could the O2 sensor stop working and not throw a CEL?

ABSOLUTELY it can. It can cause STFT and LTFT to go all over the place and never set a code or CEL (ask me how I know this) and will make you search a lot of other things that are fine. Also, purchase an OE O2 sensor if you do decide to replace it as the aftermarket ones don't seem to hold up (again, ask me how I know this-stinking NTK) and they're not any less expensive anyway.

If you can find someone close to you that has a known good front O2 sensor, change it out and try the car and I'll bet you see a difference in how the car runs as well as MPG. If not, then perhaps you'll need to go in via opensource or romraider, but I would place my money on the front O2. I've seen it fix about a dozen cars that had weird fueling and driveability issues and IIRC, only one of them had a CEL on with a hard code for O2 failure.

Not sure what brand plugs but they were platinum, he did show me the pack the coils came in to show they were performance brand (forgot the name) but I will ask them tomorrow, regardless I was having this issue before they were replaced and it didn't help.

Make sure they are NGK's and not Autolites or especially Bosch's. As for coils, my general rule of thumb is, all electrical components need to be OEM, aftermarket just horribly fails in this area.

Did you check your compression btw?

22 Ascent STOCK

The coil was bad, they replaced it for free. The plugs are NGK iridium. I'm gonna hold off for now on the compression test and see how it runs. For now it's running great.

I'm going to get a cable next week for data logging.

The coil was bad, they replaced it for free. The plugs are NGK iridium. I'm gonna hold off for now on the compression test and see how it runs. For now it's running great.

I'm going to get a cable next week for data logging.

compression won't drive down MPG, just keep that in mind.

compression won't drive down MPG, just keep that in mind.

Low compression = leak somewhere = air and fuel mixture escaping during the compression stroke & inconsistent combustion rates between cylinders = Less efficient per cycle

http://www.youfixcars.com/engine-compression-test.html

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived