LegacyGT.com

What All Season Tires Should I Buy?

I've been trying to figure out how many miles since I posted that.

I have snow tires so it hard to figure. I'm guessing somewhere around 40k or a little more. I'll put them back on the wagon in late March 2014. I need to have the alignment done, when I took them off, I noticed the inside 1/3 was worn more then the rest, pretty much on all four.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I hate it when tires are almost worn out before winter, but look good enough for a few summer month's.

Just have to suck it up and do the right thing like you are, replace them.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have been driving on Kumho Ecsta 4Xs for about 2 years now with no complaints. I only drive in snow when I head up to ski, so I can't really comment on how they would handle a Wisconsin winter. That said, these tires have not let me down at all.

Kumho Ecsta ASX tires came on my car. Did not like - corners felt slick in the rain, at not very fast speeds, and I felt a lot of understeer in the dry. Didn't get to drive them in the snow.

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires on right now. Haven't had a chance to really push them yet in the dry, but have already driven a couple highway entrance ramps where I used to really feel the ASXs slide, and the Michelins seem much better there.

Of course, the Pilot Sports are a good bit more $$$ than either of those Kumhos, and a little bit more than DWS's. Tire Rack was having a sale with a $70 mail in rebate on them, otherwise I would've gone with DWS's.

Good to hear about the Pilor Sport. I just don't know if I can trust Michilen any more... Their rating on the Pilot Sport was lower than the Defender on handeling and breaking. Have a hard time beleiving this marketing BS.

Good to hear about the Pilor Sport. I just don't know if I can trust Michilen any more... Their rating on the Pilot Sport was lower than the Defender on handeling and breaking. Have a hard time beleiving this marketing BS.

Are you going by the ratings on the Michelin website? If so, don't. I'm not sure where they came up with those ratings - maybe it's versus other tires in the same class?

The Defender is classed by tirerack as a "standard touring all season" tire for passenger cars and minivans, where as the Pilot Sports are "ultra high performance all season tires."

Totally different types of tires.

LOL Yes I am...Their bar graphs should complement each other don't you think. Your probably right. They are classing these agenst the competitors or somthing not their own lineup.

I just noticed you have an OBXT. If you want to improve handling, tires are important, of course, but suspension could be improved a lot as well - even just sway bars would probably make a huge difference.

If you get stickier tires, you'll be able to push the suspension harder - you'll get more body roll in hard corners, before hitting the limits. The suspension, not the tires, will be more of a limiting factor.

On my Miata I have Direzza Star Specs; super grippy summer tires. I'm on stock suspension there, and the car has lots of body roll around corners, but still goes like it's on rails. I have to push the car very hard on those tires to get a little oversteer and take it off the rails a bit - basically have to be in full-on body roll position, and then some. I'll be going with a less aggressive tire when the Star Specs wear out, in order to get a little more tail happy.

My main battle has always been the inside and outside edges wearing fast. Your probably right about the Swaybar upgrade.

I still have some tread life in the center. Hasn't hit the wear bars yet. Course the sidewalls are cracking so thats mainly why I'm on the hunt.

They just won't do much good if I hit the mountains this year. Would like to but these would have to go first.

So for now this will be my last rotation... Course I though the last time was the last. ;) I didn't expect these to last the summer... Now here we are, it's friggen frozen this morning in the nor cal valley.

For my needs the defender would probably fit the bill. If I had a GT I might go a little sportier tire. Still out for debate at some point.

Now that I'm seeming to be making headway on the cars drivetrain It's going to be pushed again and not milked.

My main battle has always been the inside and outside edges wearing fast.

That's caused by under inflation:

http://www.auto-repair-help.com/images/articles/articles_102009/RV_Tires_1.jpg

Check and adjust your tire pressures more frequently.

best tire i've EVER had was the michilin exahalto a/s. Can on my car with them and I though i had maybe 10,000 miles left on them. Ended up getting another 30,000 out of them and coulda got more if my alignment did wear one out.

Great all season and even on low tread got me around fine in the snow. Number one rated tire on tirerack for a reason. Those tires were worth the extra money. I didn't buy them though came with the car.

Well as it seems I got 58K out of these hydroedge... Party is over.

Just ordered the Pilot Sport A/S 3. Will be on the car in the morning.

What pushed me over the edge was the Z rating.

I'll probably get a good number of miles out of them. Time to go look at some sway bar upgrades. ;)

I have no complaints for my Nitto Motivo tires. They work great in wet and dry, but I have yet to try them in the snow(kinda hard to do in AZ). Very quiet on the highway. Excellent treadwear rating.

I highly recommend them!

I have no complaints for my Nitto Motivo tires. They work great in wet and dry, but I have yet to try them in the snow(kinda hard to do in AZ). Very quiet on the highway. Excellent treadwear rating.

I highly recommend them!

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Nitto/Motivo

Looking at the rating for them in snow I would definitely avoid using them anywhere there's a hint of ice or snow. To me they look more like summer tires than all-season.

453747.png

I would seriously recommend winter and summer tires if you live in a snowy area. Winter tires are far superior. If you are only going with all season, the three I would recommend would be conti dws, bridgestone serenity plus or Michelin mxv4.

Yes the DWS has the snowflake. Mine did at least

I don't get why so many use tire rack. They may be cheaper then walk into the store prices, but then you have to pay for install still. I know that all the tire stores in my area specially Americas discount tire, walk in and say can you beat tire rack or company x prices and they always will

Who here remembers the Armstrong Tires,,,,,Grip the Road Commercial.

Not many I assume.It was somewhat 3 dimensional because a tire would come at the screen,flank speed,and then ,,out of the threads came king kong scale fingers emerged from the threads assuring you of safe passage.

Yes,,,,we survive especially when we also have Prestone Anti Freeze,,,,

"Never pick up a stranger,,,,,,,,,Don't put your car in Danger,,,,,,,Nows,,The time ,,,,,,,,the Right time to change her,,,,,,,,,,Change to Prestone,,,,,Anti,,ti,,,Freeze""

I guess you had to be there...

I have used Pirelli P Zero Nero shoes ,and they should be considered.

Who here remembers the Armstrong Tires,,,,,Grip the Road Commercial.

Not many I assume.It was somewhat 3 dimensional because a tire would come at the screen,flank speed,and then ,,out of the threads came king kong scale fingers emerged from the threads assuring you of safe passage.

Yes,,,,we survive especially when we also have Prestone Anti Freeze,,,,

"Never pick up a stranger,,,,,,,,,Don't put your car in Danger,,,,,,,Nows,,,,the Right time to change her,,,,,,,,,,Change to Prestone,,,,,Anti,,ti,,,Freeze""

I guess you had to be there...

I have used Pirelli P Zero Nero shoes ,and they should be considered.

OK...to be fair...I remember the Uniroyal Tiger Paw commercials-thought they were incredibly cool at the time. Also the Road Runner commercials "with the horn that goes BEEP BEEP"...:lol:

Archived