LegacyGT.com

Rotora BBK in development...

jsalicru

derffred - I think that red's the other option. Not sure about black.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wait, so better brakes won't make you stop any quicker? So, brake kits are more of a 'feel' upgrade, and less of a performance upgrade? Thats crazy! What about these benz's that stop 70 - 0 in like 130 ft? Is that all because of tires, or is there something else that can be added to make our cars stop faster?

BigT, please search around on this forum, or any other performance car forum, as this has been discussed ad nauseum...

Tires stop a car. Bigger, stickier tires stop it faster. Larger rotors give you better fade tolerance. Larger pads give you better longevity and fade tolerance. More pistons allow a more even contact area on a larger pad...

Ted

:spin:

Thans ted, but I thought that a BBK came with larger pads. Also, wouldn't better longevity, and fade tolerance help stop a car faster? Not everybody is as experienced as you are. Reading threads isn't exactly the best auto education either. There is a lot of misinformation, and half explained information out there. If you don't hve the critical eye of experience many times your questions just slip through the cracks, and your research provides more questions than answers.

wouldn't better longevity, and fade tolerance help stop a car faster?
No, not in one application. What it does allow, is repeated high speeds stops (as in on a race course) with little to no change in braking charachteristics. It also means you use less pad per racing session.

When you discuss the 60-0 distance, or 100-0 distance, the majority of the work happens with your rubber. When you repeatedly do those stops, that is where the BBKs start to have an effect. But, there are very few people on here (if any but the GOTO racing guys) that will ever use a larger front and/or rear brake set-up. With pads and fluid, you would have to be a very bad driver to fade these brakes, especially in normal usage. (Obviously anyone can go out and purposely fade brakes, I am talking about using them in daily driving, canyon bombing, or even racing)

IMHO the problems 90% of the people that are complaining about the brakes have 1-3 of 3 problems...

1. The pads on these cars are not stellar. A simple pad change will fix this, and also the rotors might need to be turned due to brake pad deposits...

2. The RE-92s are not great tires. A tire switch will fix this...

3. The fluid has air/gas in it. A bleed of the brake system will fix this...

Ted

Ted,

That was really useful, and you may have saved me over a grand! Thanks for the useful info! I'm sure that more people than not get mods that aren't neccessary for their driving style.

-Tom

Tom,

Well, as long as you own up to purchasing a BBK for bling like Allen :lol: it is all right to get one. I will admit that the slotting on my rotors is only about 20% for functionallity, the rest just is my happiness :D

You're welcome!!! Glad I could help. Shoot me a PM if you need pad, fluid, line, or rotor recommendations :D

Ted

jsalicru:

What about the biggest Rotora front - 355x30 2 piece disks, slotted or slotted/drilled with 6 piston calipers - and rear kits (maybe 4pot)? Any new information?

Tom,

Well, as long as you own up to purchasing a BBK for bling like Allen :lol: it is all right to get one.

Damn! How did I miss this dig! :icon_tong:lol: :lol:

It's all about the blingy for Winky!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

jsalicru:

What about the biggest Rotora front - 355x30 2 piece disks, slotted or slotted/drilled with 6 piston calipers - and rear kits (maybe 4pot)? Any new information?

This is the same as the STi unit. They actually fitted one of these sets on my car. HUGE HUGE HUGE.. nuff said. However, you'd have to run the 330 4 pot setup in the rear in order to balance out.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

to jsalicru:

You want to say that stock WRX STI front 4-pot brembo are the same as front 6-pot rotora with 355x30 2-piece rotors?

How do you think will Rays VolkRacing CE28N 18"x7.5" ET47 PCD 5x100 clear front 6-pot calipers with 355 2-piece rotors? Or I have to use min 18"x8" ET44? Will stock spec B wheels 18"x7" ET55 clear the calipers?

Sti 4-pot does not = Rotora 6 pot at all :lol: What I tried to say is that the 355x30 fitment is a WRX/STi unit.. but it fits the LGT.. so you can use that. HOWEVER, if usiing that alone, there's WAY too much front bias so you would need the rear 330x30 Rotora setup to compensate and restore balance.

CE28 typically has good clearance for brakes. I personally know someone running 14" Wilwoods on their S2000 with LE28s. no clearance problems. However, the 7.5 width MIGHT be an issue. Although Rotora's setups require less spoke clearance than STi Brembos.. I don't know if the 7.5 would fit.. not to mention I don't know what the purpose would be in having a HUGE brake setup with tires that are not capable of exhausting it in the first place.

18x7+55 might clear the units I have now.. I doubt it would clear the 355mm setup.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

I see :)

What I have to use in rear with front 6-pot calipers and 330x30mm rotors to keep balance between fron and rear brake? Maybe 4-pot calipers with 2-peice or 1-peice 330mm rotors or 2-pot with 290mm rotos? What is the weight of stock LGT brakes? What is the weight of ROTORA front 6-pot 330x30mm and rear 4-pot 330x30mm rotors (both 2-peice)?

About tires:

I am going to use 225/50/17 Goodyear F1 GSDIII with forged RAYS VolkRacing CE28N or TE37.

Not enough tire to really need something huge.. but, nevertheless.. for looks, its a nice setup.

There is no 6-pot 330x30 setup. Only 355mm. I don't know about weight, I never weighted my units or the stock ones.

• 3 weeks later...
A BBK won't make you stop much sooner. The tires are responsible for that. RE-92's suck for braking distance. A BBK is important for resistance to brake fade, improved pedal feel, and better initial response.

According to these tests. from 90 to 0 BBK's made the car stop sooner and kept it consistent.

stock (not our car)

best 90 to 0 (317) but averaged 340

Just hawk pads avg. 316

Stoptech's BBK averaged 297

I'd say thats sooner!

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2852/shedding-light-on-fading-brakes-page3.html

Oh BTW< you are right, there is now a 6-pot 330x30

• 3 years later...

I did not read every page of this thread but I scanned the first 3-4. I have an 08 LGT spec.B with a 4 piston Rotora BBK on the front 13" calipers. I have a set of 18" wheels on there now but for the winter I am gonna be switching to 17" wheels.

In a few days I am set to pickup a set of 04 STI BBS wheels and I am wondering if they will clear the Rotora BBK. I am pretty sure they will clear but I want to be 100% sure. Does anyone here have that setup or has seen that setup?

Here is my summer setup http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Jay04WRX/Picture003-4.jpg?t=1270834141

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

I'd have to really dig up that picture I PM'd you about, but yes. The Rotora setup will clear them better than the Brembo setup.

You should have seen the clearance on the brembo with the work wheels I talked to you about. I'll put it to you this way, you had to make sure the rubber cap for the bleed valve was on a certain way.

• 10 months later...

A while back I got an email from another member with what brake pads will replace the Rotora 4 pot pads. I can not seem to find that email anywhere. Can anyone post that list or tell me which Hawk HPS pads/part number I can use...?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

For the RBK011.01, 4-pot, 330x24 front BBK, you're looking at the RP.04.1 for the FC4/4 Piston - that's the H2 "street" Ceramic pads.

Alternatively:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rotora-pads-fyi-80602.html?t=80602&highlight=rotora+jaguar

:)

For the RBK011.01, 4-pot, 330x24 front BBK, you're looking at the RP.04.1 for the FC4/4 Piston - that's the H2 "street" Ceramic pads.

Alternatively:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rotora-pads-fyi-80602.html?t=80602&highlight=rotora+jaguar

:)

This answers my ? thank you very much !!

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived